DO11: Content Type toolbars per folder tab

I love the idea of toolbars that change according to the content of a folder. I have set up a set of toolbars for Imaging and another for music. I have set up styles and content type folders to use these toolbars.

If I manually change say to my Music style in a folder full of music files the toolbar appears. Similarly if I change to a folder full of images and apply my Images style, the toolbar changes.

However, the toolbars refuse to change automatically according to the content of the folders. I have turned on the preference to allow content type detection, by the way

I have spent hours going through the prefs to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?

Is the content type format (or whichever format you have tied the toolbar to) actually being triggered?

You can drag the (View ->) Current Content Type drop-down to a toolbar to be able to see the content type (if any) in effect.

You can also hover over the format lock (don't click, just hover) to see where the current folder format comes from. (Part 6 of the Folder Formats: Detailed Guide.)

Content Types in the manual explains how Opus decides when to switch to another content type, using lists of file extensions and thresholds for the % of files in a folder.

Many thanks for the tips Leo. I m even more confused now. Hovering over the format lock tells me that the folders I am interested in come from A tab in a tab group. However the content box constantly tells me "NONE"

The interesting thing is that the first tab on the Imaging Tab group breaks this and actually the content box says "IMAGES". None of the others do however. It simply says "NONE"

The Music is different again. That works in so far as the content box says "MUSIC" but the toolbars do not change.

I created the folder formats using the help files you describe and they do seem OK to me. i am beginning to wonder if there is some corruption in my set up. Is it possible to start again with a clean sheet? How do I do this? I suppose I can go back to my present config any time by reloading it.

There's not going to be any corruption in your config. If the config was corrupt it probably wouldn't be working at all.

If the folder formats are coming from the Folder Tab Group you are loading, you may need to edit the Folder Tab Groups, and within those edit the folder format of each tab you're interested in, so that the folder format coming from the Folder Tab Group specifies the toolbar you want.

Also, if you're using Styles (and the style is what's loading the folder tab group), the style itself can override the toolbars. See the "Toolbar" checkbox/dropdown when editing the style under Preferences / Layouts and Styles / Styles.

Following your latest advice has improved things somewhat, but I still have the original problem:

When I switch from a tab set for Images to a Tab set for Music, the Music toolbar remains in place (I have said to replace the toolbars) and vice versa. The only way I can get the unwanted toolbar to disappear is to select the appropriate Lister style from a drop-down list. Or is this how it is supposed to function?

There's a bug in beta 4 that can stop the automatic changing from happening in some cases, maybe wait until beta 5 comes out later this week and see if it fixes it.

I wish I could report that beta 5 had helped with my problem but it has not.

Can I explain in detail the problem to you. In frustration, I deleted all my old tabs and set yup two new tab groups so that I could be sure that I wasprobably dealing with a fresh config in this regard.

The first tab group is a Music group. I set the two tabs I am using to look at a NAS that hold the music for my music system. The default tab looks at a folder of Jazz albums. I asked the tab to display the content of the folder in thumbnail mode and to use a toolbar set called music. In isolation it works fine.I get my music toolbar. If I open one of the albums in the jazz tab, because the content is music I get my music toolbar also. Exactly what I want.

Things go crazy when I create for Country music albums - exactly the same as the Jazz tab, except, of course it points to a different folder, and , of course, it is not the default. When I switch to the new tab all the toolbars disappear in the Country tab. If I select the Jazz tab, all is as it should be.

Now if I stop the DOPus tasks using the Task Manager and start DOpus again and go to the Jazz tab - the default tab - the toolbar situation is fine. If I switch to the Country tab the Music toolbar disappears, but the Default toolbar set remains this time. If I add another tab I get exactly the same problems as I have outlined.

If I make a completely new tab group using Image files and an Imaging toolbar set on a fixed drive I get exactly the same results. Even down to having to stop and start Dopus.

Incidentally if I look at the source for these tabs on each occasion it tells me the souce is the appropriate tab number in the the appropriate tab set.

Sorry if this is a long explanation, but it is driving me nuts trying to get this to work

A tab saved in a tab group will get its format from the stored tab, not from the content type for that folder. So check the format of the tab itself to make sure the toolbar is enabled there as well.