DOpus doesn't handle paths longer than 255 properly

Hi,

I'm on Windows 11 with Long Paths enabled, and it seems that DOpus does not handle paths longer than 255 properly. I do not see thumbnails for them, and nothing happens when I double click on them.

When I try the same from Windows Explorer, everything works just fine.

Here's a video I recorded to show the issue:

Directory Opus Pro 12.33 Build 8659 x64
OS 10.0 (B:22631 P:2 T:1) SP 0.0

Looks like it’s thumbnails for audio files, which may depend on things outside of Opus.

While most things do work, we can only guarantee basic operations like copy/move/rename work in those paths as there are still parts of Windows, and third party libraries and components, which can’t handle them and are outside our control.

Such paths will cause problems in many programs and components, so the beat thing to do is shorten them (which Opus will let you do).

The thumbs are for ANY file, including videos and PDFs.

Why does Windows Explorer, a free app, is able to handle all these files without a problem? This is clearly an issue with DOpus. Telling me to rename files just to make them work in Dopus is frankly unacceptable.

It’s not just the thumbs, double clicking to launch the files also fails with DOpus but works with Explorer.

Video and PDF thumbs require external components. Double clicking them also involves other software. I don’t know why they’d work in Explorer but not in Opus, but when it’s not just our code involved it’s difficult to guess.

Do things like JPEG thumbs work? Those are handled by Opus itself.

Even if you can get the thumbnails for those types working in Opus, you’ll still run into problems with other software and long paths. The only sensible thing to do is shorten the paths.

I understand the implications of long path support and possible limitations. As you can see UNC paths are used in my example above so these can exceed MAX_PATH. If other apps will have problems, let me worry about that, but for now DOpus can’t even do what Explorer can.

Both the video player and pdf viewer I use are able to handle these paths just fine, and to render the thumbnails as well, as seen in the video.

In this case we have a clear issue in DOpus as all of this stuff just works in Explorer, so I don’t want to rename my files just because DOpus is broken.

I've tested with Opus 13 and did not have issues with thumbnails and paths longer than 255 characters, even with movie and PDF files (at least with the PDF viewer I have installed):

I've just upgraded to the beta and I have the same issue :frowning: .

I give up I guess. Damn, now I'm stuck on the beta with a certificate that expires in a few days :confused:

Could the QNAP NAS be the cause or part of the problem? Do you have a chance to test with a Windows Share on a second PC?

You should get a normal evaluation period once we're out of beta, which will happen before that. But you can also go back to version 12 if you wish.

I've been using DOpus 13 for a while now, but this issue keeps bugging me.
To repeat what I said before:

1. These are network (UNC) paths
  2. In DOpus, thumbnails don't show and double clicking on the file is a no-op. Dragging the file, say a PDF, to the app directly does work.
  3. Opening the same folder in Explorer shows thumbnail and double-clicking works.

Is there any additional information/logs that I can provide privately to the devs to get this fixed?

Do JPEGs work? I don’t think you answered that before. That tests if things work when it’s only Opus involved, not third-party PDF viewers which may have their own issues.

And have you tried with a Windows share rather than a NAS device?

Tried any other PDF viewers?

It works in my environment, so working out which components are involved may help figure out where it’s going wrong. It we can reproduce it, knowing which parts matter, we may be able to find a workaround.

I copied an existing JPG to a folder with a long name. Its thumbnail remained visible (possibly cached somewhere?), but double clicking on it doesn't open the Windows Photos viewer anymore. If I open the folder in Explorer then I can double click on it and launch the viewer just fine.

And have you tried with a Windows share rather than a NAS device?

Sorry, but what's the difference? This is a standard SMB share.
Also, it's not like accessing these paths doesn't work at all -- Explorer handles it just fine so it seems to be something on DOpus' end.

I just tried this on a local (non-networked) path and it does seem to work just fine. This might have something to do with the fact that it's a network path.

This is quite odd though, as long paths are supposed to be naturally supported for UNC paths...

It may be important for being able to reproducing it.

No one's doubting that, you don't need to keep saying it. But as we've said, this works in Opus when we try it. So something is different about your setup and the questions we're asking are to try to work out what.

1 Like

Try reproducing it on a network share, just as I reported in in my OP.
I wasn't able to reproduce the issue on a local filesystem.

This might help. Here is explorer vs opus 13 (latest beta) accessing a long path on a Raspberry PI in my environment. JPG and PNG are OK, mp4 does not come through

I get the same on a windows server over a VPN:

If I put it somewhere in a short path, the mp4 does show:

Edit: If I map the share to a drive letter (and the path is still long), the mp4 preview does show up OK. If I have two listers open side by side (one with the UNC path and the other with the mapped drive), the mp4 thumb will show with both.

Directory Opus 13.4.3 (Beta) Build 8852 x64
OS 10.0 (B:22631 P:2 T:1) SP 0.0

1 Like

thank you very much for the repro! the issue is not just about the thumbnails btw, if you try double clicking on the files in the long UNC path they will probably not open either (incl. the JPGs whose thumbs you can still see).

It only affects thumbnails that are generated via the Windows shell.

We've found a way to make those work in very long network paths, which will be included in the next beta.

2 Likes

You were right on the .mp4. It did generate a crash (Log 230). The PDF, PNG and JPG were all fine.

Thanks for sending that in. A fix will be in 13.4.4.

(Note: Not needed here, but it would be better to make separate threads for separate issues in future, else we risk losing track of things.)

Please try 13.4.4 and let us know if these things are still an issue.