Drag files (mp3) to launched application (winamp)

It works this way in Windows Explorer ONLY if a file is selected beforehand, so that Explorer window is in background and some items are already selected (grey background with my Windows Classic theme).

It doesn't work if no items are selected yet (then Explorer pops to foreground).

I don't have access to DOpus now to check fot its behaviour.

X.

Detail.
And it's simple :
Opus is launched. Winamp (or any other software) too. I go on the XP Start menu toolbar to put the winamp (for example) on top of opus. Then i can see, as my screenshot showed you, Opus in full page and winamp. But one simple click made disappear the winamp. So I can't drag any file even if the selection was made before.

That's a really big problem, i can't understand why it's like this with opus as it's one of the most useful command to drag some files into some launched applications without having to resize both programs !

Any clue ? ANd sorry again for all that. I just loved hat i saw in my evaluation version but i can't decide to change if i'm not fully satisfied with priorities ! And drag files is a thing i do the most !

If you click down and don't let go and drag the file out, Opus won't come to the front.

If you click down and release, or click down on something other than a file, then Opus will come to the front.

How is that any different to Explorer or any other program on Windows? Isn't it how all programs work?

If i launch explorer.exe for example.
I put it full screen. Maximize.
Then I click on winamp in my task bar (or launch excel or any single program, it's the same for all). And well then i can easily drag and drop. But if i do that with opus. At the first click to move the file into the winamp program, winamp disappear again in the task bar.

If i do the same with excel, that's the same too. Works fine on explorer.exe or any other explorer but with opus nope :frowning:

In Windows Explorer it works like you described ONLY FOR ALREADY SELECTED FILES, as I've a few posts written earlier. Maybe someone could check for DO.

You can still achieve what you want- drag files to application "button" on the task bar, wait until this application's window is brought to foreground, and then drag and drop to the application's window. You need to keep mouse button pressed all the way unitl final drop.

X.

Thanx xyzzy but as i said. I know how to use a mouse :wink:
When i saw that the drag didn't work i tried to drag that on the winamp icons on the taskbar icons (cause my winamp is on the icons near the time clock i didn't put it directly on the tsakbar when it's minimized). It didn't open the software ! Even if i did circles all around it :smiley:

And yeah i did it in a row. By the way, on explorer.exe even if files are not selected i can select them without making disappear the other program (winamp in that case).

By the way, if that simple drag things works fine on explorer.Exe, explorerplus, powerdesk and other i think it's a problem with opus. Something to configure... I have check all the options and can't find something. I was sure it was a on top problem but well it's not.

Given(so far) no-one else can repro, it seems to be down to two options - either you're having trouble performing the operation properly(which you say isn't the case), or you've got some other program interfering with the way focus works on your system. If this rings any bells, try cycling through any "extras" you may have installed/enabled and turn them off, and try to repro. It certainly doesn't appear to be a trivial DOpus option that's at the root of this.

DT

Well. Nothing is open actually.

I just launched Opus. And then In opus I double click on an mp3 file. To listen to a song. Then As i can see opus AND winamp. I try to drag other files but i simply can't. And i confirm that i can do that since 15 years with any explorer i tried and with explorer.exe !

i'm not really a newbie. I'm on internet since 1993 and i have usually no real problem with softwares. That's why i can't understand. Sure it's an "on top" problem but WHY ?! As it seems to works for everybody !

Because it's not supposed to. This works only with program "buttons" on task bar, not for icons in system tray.

[quote="fredze"]
By the way, on explorer.exe even if files are not selected i can select them without making disappear the other program (winamp in that case).[/quote]
No confirmation here. I've tried with a few applications.

Probably the answer lies in you system, not in DO.

X.

Well i have a normal XP pro version...

Any video card driver, or mouse driver, options that might change the way windows are arranged or given the input focus?

Here's a small (60KB) flash movie that I made demonstrating that it works on my machine. The mouse dragging is a bit jerky since I'm using a laptop pad at the moment, but you get the idea:

pretentiousname.com/temp/opusddfocus.html

Even if you're not into full screen for opus, i can't do what you did.

I have a mouse gesture with the tweakui XP who change the current window selection without clicking (X mouse). Will disable that and see if there's any change, i hope it's not the problem because i use often this feature.

EDIT : THAT WAS the problem ! So now. I guess i have to choose between opus & the x mouse option :frowning:

Thanx Nudel and others. We finally discover what was the problem.

By the way : a little question even if it's off topic. Is there any way to put on top of directories the '...' like on some other explorer which is pretty useful to return to the directory just under the one where we actually are. (hope i'm clear if not read that 10 times! :wink: )

Edit 2 : another little tips : is there a way to change that : when i try to move a directory onto another one, it's not really clear if we are really into the good one specially. On other explorers while you are pushing the mouse button and still searching for the directory where you wanna put the other one, the selection is made on the directory where the mouse is. On Opus no. It's not really confortable.

The ".." hark back to dos days and is not very intuitive, especially for people who aren't familiar with dos. There are many other ways to move up a folder, i.e click the up folder button, use the right click context menu and my favourite just hit the backspace button. There are maybe otherways as well. On top of this I bet you could create your own button or keyboard shortcut so in short there is no real reason to have that ".." at the top.

The ".." hark back to dos days and is not very intuitive, especially for people who aren't familiar with dos. There are many other ways to move up a folder, i.e click the up folder button, use the right click context menu and my favourite just hit the backspace button. There are maybe otherways as well. On top of this I bet you could create your own button or keyboard shortcut so in short there is no real reason to have that ".." at the top.[/quote]
Yeah maybe because i'm familiar with the ... (who was like a cd..). But well i thought it would be somewhere :frowning: Thanx for replying anyway.

[quote="fredze"]EDIT : THAT WAS the problem ! So now. I guess i have to choose between opus & the x mouse option :frowning:

Thanx Nudel and others. We finally discover what was the problem.[/quote]

I'm not sure if any of my information helped isolate the issue, but I'm glad to hear you found the issue. Now the question remains; is Opus the only one handling this event properly or is there a missing check in Opus?

Well I have Xmouse since years and i never had troubles with it.

By the way someone can try to reply to my little tips questions just a few post ago ? (and confirm that the "..." is not on opus.)

Please make separate threads for separate questions, else it's very hard to follow and work out what has been replied to, and hard for other people searching the forum later.

The .. stuff is covered by a FAQ.

Thanx Nudel. I will.

I'll post in this old thread because the problem is still present.

With the Windows X-Mouse setting active:

... it is not possible to drag an item from a Dopus lister in the background to a program window in the foreground (it IS perfectly possible with Windows Explorer).

With Dopus, the Dopus lister jumps in the foreground as soon as an item in the lister is dragged OR clicked. With Windows Explorer, you can click, double-click, triple-click or drag items -- and the Explorer window still stays in the background (with the X-Mouse setting active, that is).

Unfortunately, that behavior of Dopus is very annoying since -- when using the X-Mouse setting -- it is impossible to properly work with drag-and-drop (which of course is one of THE core features of a file manager...) :frowning:

Strangely however, after re-booting Windows, for a while Dopus DOES work properly (i.e. as Windows Explorer). It is only after a while that it starts to behave erratically.

Further, there is a little application called TXMouse. When this app is running, it is not possible to bring any window to the front by clicking into the window (this is great for dual monitor screens when running apps stretched on both monitors). I run about three zillion applications that ALL perfectly follow this rule (i.e. behave properly regarding Z-order). With one exception which is................... Dopus :frowning:

This already proves that there is an error on the side of Dopus (regarding the Z-order behavior).

Rgds. David.P

Has anyone reported this to GPSoftware? It's unlikely to be investigated unless there's a proper report.

There being an issue with TXMouse doesn't prove anything, as far as I can tell. From a brief look, TXMouse makes Windows do things it isn't meant to do and which Windows apps don't expect to happen (and are not supposed to expect to happen). If you use a tool which breaks/changes the rules of Windows you have to expect odd behaviour in some cases. (The TXMouse page says as much and lists several issues with other apps.) Maybe it'd be possible to work around the problem but TXMouse alone doesn't imply a fault in Opus.

A problem with the XMouse setting of TweakUI may be different. I'm not sure exactly what that setting does or if it's a supported part of the OS. Anyone know if there is an equivalent setting on Windows 7? (TweakUI doesn't exist for Windows versions after XP and I don't have an XP machine with any debugging tools to see what the option actually does.)