Drag files (mp3) to launched application (winamp)

Update to my previous reply: I found the option in Winodws 7 (Ease of Access -> Make the mouse easier to use -> Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse).

Turning that on doesn't seem to cause any problems dragging things out of Opus, at least in the version I'm using (which is slightly different to the current release). So either it's a non-issue with Windows 7's way of doing things or it has been fixed already and will appear in a later version of Opus.

Reasonable conclusion -- however contradicted by probability.

If 350 applications respond to a given tool by the correct behavior "A", and one application by the incorrect behavior "B", then it can be concluded without reasonable doubt that it is a problem on that "one" application's side, and not on that tool's side....

Anyway, the problem is present also without TXMouse. TXMouse only gives additional evidence that it is a Dopus problem.

Regarding X-Mouse on Windows 7, you could try and look whether the respective Registry settings are present in your copy of Win7.

Regarding your update, remember that it takes Dopus some time before it starts to show the error.

Sorry but that doesn't follow at all. Those other 350 programs may not do or use the same things.

Anyway, if you want someone to look at it properly then it should be reported to GPSoftware.

Nah Leo, this is not logical. Of course those 350 programs behave exactly the same way (= "do and use the same things"). Every known Windows program reacts the same (the intended!) way, only Dopus (and ONE more program, the DOS console window!) does not.

Regards David.P

I could write a device driver which crashed the OS if it detected "notepad.exe" was running. Would the crash then be Notepad's fault? No. Yet every hundreds of other apps would not trigger the crash.

The other apps don't all do and use the same things. Every app is different. Opus in particular uses parts of the OS and does things which few other apps use or do.

It's very strange to say "every known Windows program reacts the same way" when the page for TXMouse itself lists several known problems with particular apps.

I'm not saying that I know for sure where the problem is. Maybe Opus is doing something wrong (or just unusual). Nobody has proven anything so far, though.

ANYWAY...

If you want the issue fixed, you need to report it to GPSoftware.

You could also help them and/or us reproduce it by trying to narrow down what triggers it (when using the built-in TweakUI/Control Panel setting; let's concentrate on that and ignore TXMouse for now).

You say it happens after a while... Is there more to it than that or can you literally boot a machine, leave it running, then trigger the problem?

If there's more to it than simply leaving it running then try to think about what you do that might trigger it. Maybe it happens only during or after using certain features or windows of Opus? e.g. Progress windows, Preferences, the viewer panel... Or maybe it only happens if Opus is activated after another program has been used.

(e.g. I know of a recent bug in Firefox that caused Steam to do odd things if its window was activated before Firefox was minimized (or something like that) and which affected no other combination of programs... Strange things can happen and they can be impossible for other people to reproduce if they don't have the same combination of software installed.)

I tried leaving the control panel option on to see if I could reproduce the problem after a while, but after about 10 seconds I was driven crazy (I can't stand windows popping to the front from just hovering over them) so it's not something I can put up with leaving on while I do other work just in case I manage to trigger the problem. (If simply leaving the option enabled while the computer isn't in use is enough then that's different.)

Thanks Leo I'll do as proposed -- when however you try that X-Mouse setting you should not activate the "autoraise" function (I agree that it is very annoying), only the "activation" setting:

...if that is posible in Win7 (I think it should be).

Regards David.P

OK this problem seems to be triggered by an application called Filebox Extender. This tool does things to other programs titlebars which in turn seem to confuse Dopus (and only Dopus!) about its foreground/background behavior.

With Filebox Extender running, there is also the problem that Dopus (and only Dopus!) crashes on every Windows shutdown.

Filebox Extender on the other hand has one KILLER FEATURE that I absolutely wouldn't want to miss anymore. It goes like this. If a file Open/Save dialog is open in ANY application, and you click inside a lister in Dopus (or Windows Explorer), then that Open/Save dialog is instantly switched to the same folder that you have clicked in Dopus (or Windows Explorer). So you don't have to click your way through to your current project's folder EVERY time when opening or saving files from your applications.

Anyway, fortunately Filebox Extender can be told to leave Dopus alone (with the "Click switch file box folder feature" still working), so this seems to fix the OP's problem altogether for the time being.

Cheers David.P

Five seconds with Google proves that isn't true. Filebox Extender causes/caused Total Commander to crash as well.

I see this at the top of the Filebox Extender website, which isn't promising for that kind of tool:

When I want to do that I just copy the path out of Opus (you could set up a button or hotkey to do that, or just use the path field) and paste it into the other dialog. A couple more clicks but doesn't cause any problems.

Nah, I really need this "Click switch file box folder" feature. Maybe something like this feature can be added to dopus at some stage. This feature alone probably saves me like 20 minutes a day since it brings all the power of Dopus' folder navigation to every bl**dy program's Open/Save dialog box.

Bummer, it does not work. If FileBox eXtender is told to leave Dopus alone, the "Click switch file box folder" feature stops working also the next time dous is started.

And if FileBox eXtender is NOT set up to leave Dopus alone, Dopus looses track about its z-order.......

Oh well......

Opus could easily provide an API for tools like that to query the current path properly, instead of using whatever hack it's currently using, but I guess that isn't much use when the tool itself is no longer maintained.

Hmm, how about if Dopus would start to take care about that annoyance called "Open/Save file boxes"...? After all these things are a major part of file management, and that is what Opus is about.

Those "Open/Save file boxes" are SOOO annoying. Always too small, always the wrong view mode, always the wrong sort mode, always the wrong columns visible, always the wrong column width, always clumsy to navigate to folders, no folder tree available, not enough file types visible and so forthhhhhhh...

It would be SENSATIONAL if Opus as the first file manager on the market would rid the world of that "Open/Save file box" terror, for good.....

Cheers David.P

Aaaaahhhg I thought I'd have a solution, but Opus (again) throws a monkey wrench in.....

The tool Direct Folders also has the (absolutely great and indispensable) "Click switch file box folder" feature. And it's neither discontinued nor buggy (unlike Filebox Extender).

HOWEVER, also with Direct Folders, that same feature makes Opus AGAIN jump in the foreground where it should stay in the background (if at the same time the Windows X-mouse setting is active) :angry: :frowning:

Again, everything is perfect in Windows Explorer (i.e. "Click switch file box folder" feature works, and Windows Explorer stays in the background if files are dragged from it to another window).

This makes Dopus the only program that obviously has a problem keeping its own z-order position, under certain conditions.

Regards David.P

Have you told the people who write Direct Folders? They are the only ones who could know what their tools is doing that triggers the z-order change in Opus.

Maybe Opus can be changed to stop it happening but they would need to explain what they're doing first.

The only one on your system that you have noticed. Please stop generalising anecdotal evidence to the entire population of Windows software; it's getting really annoying (especially when there are counter-examples as in the previous examples).

OK, I just realized that the entire thing is solely a Dopus problem.

This is because the problem is actually present even when neither Direct folders nor Filebox Extender are running.

As soon as the Windows X-Mouse setting is active, you can't drag things from Opus into a foreground Window anymore, because Opus instantly jumps into the forground, thus covering up the drag and drop target window :frowning: :angry:

Regards David.P

What does X-Mouse have to do with Direct Folders or Filebox Extender? Are we still talking about the same issue? Didn't you say earlier that the X-Mouse issue didn't happen immediately?

Can you give us some actual steps to reproduce this problem or problems, preferably on a modern version of Windows??

OK, just installed Opus freshly on a virgin installation of Windows 7 Professional.

For the X-Mouse setting (but without the annoying auto-raising of windows), see here. Log off and back on to activate the setting.

Afterwards, program windows generally get focus (but do not auto-raise) just by hovering the mouse over them.

Now note that if Windows Explorer is in the background (and partially covered by another window), you can still do all sorts of things with files and folders like clicking, dragging etc. without Windows Explorer jumping in front and covering up your foreground window. This is very useful for drag-and-dropping files or folders from Windows Explorer to your foreground window. Only if you click on the titlebar, on a column header or into an empty area of Windows Explorer, Windows Explorer will jump into the foreground since in this case, it (correctly) assumes that you don't want to drag files out to a foreground window.

Now try the same in Opus. You can't do anything in a Dopus window (that is in the background) whithout it instantly jumping in the foreground and thus annoyingly covering up the possible target of a drag-and-drop action.

This happens instantly, and actually has nothing to do with Direct Folders or Filebox Extender. (It doesn't happen instantly if instead of the above Registry setting that other tool TXMouse is used. But it happens after a while and then it's just the same problem. Anyway, we can leave TXMouse out of consideration since the problem is present also without it.)

Regards David.P

That doesn't seem like a supported feature of Windows 7 to me:

a) If you read the comments below that post, people complain that turning it on breaks basic parts of Windows: Aspects of the taskbar, alt-tab, the volume slider, pop-up menus in some places... You can kinda work around it by adjusting another registry setting but it still doesn't sound like things work well.

b) (Probably because of a) It's hidden away in a registry setting that you can only edit by combining bits in a hex number. (Not exactly a user-facing option.)

If basic parts of Windows don't work properly with the setting then it seems wrong to expect 3rd party apps to work 100% with the setting.

IMO, you've going to have to get used to not having X-Mouse sooner or later, unless you keep using Windows XP forever. The mouse simply doesn't work that way in Windows and programs -- including parts of Windows itself -- are written with that assumption.

Of course, I'm not GPSoftware, so you could try sending them a support request and see what they think. Maybe it's really easy for them to reproduce & fix.