EverythingDopus - A utility to integrate Everything with Directory Opus

There is no .dcf extension defined at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Should .dcf have an entry and point to Opus?
Thanks for your reply!

This is a true game changer, instant system-wide search, wow!
I somehow fumbled the install but got it to work with the following"

@set search={dlgstring|Enter Everything Search Query\nYou can do a /regex search \d\d\d/ using slashes}
"C:\Future\Utility Master\Everything\EverythingDopus\ed.exe" "{$search}"

How do you change the path for the default file list (I didn't add an extension in the windows dialog and now I'm getting a warning 'file does not exist' when I use the default dcf button).

@Zion Shift click the icon and you will get to pick the path to the utility again :slight_smile:

1 Like

@WKen I'm not sure I understand what you mean
Do you want me to Add quotes to %AppData%\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\Script AddIns in the instructions?

@vicbyrd It seems you don't have the OSP file in the right path, as the script seems to be missing. Can you confirm it is inside /scripts folder? :slight_smile:

@Zoc Turns out I was running Light. Switched to Pro and it's working great.
Thanks again for the great addin!
Victor

1 Like

cd.exe will add double quotes to the path to be searched, which will cause the failure of adding some Everything syntax parent:, I suggest adding it in the DOpus script.
Or don't add when there are quotes in the path?

@WKen I don't recognize that bit of code.
Could you tell me the line number that you think that's causing problems and must be altered in this link?

Not in DOpus script.
Works:
"C:\Program Files\EverythingDopus-2.0b1-x64\ed.exe" D:\A folder
"C:\Program Files\EverythingDopus-2.0b1-x64\ed.exe" "D:\A folder"

Invalid:
"C:\Program Files\EverythingDopus-2.0b1-x64\ed.exe" parent:D:\A folder\
"C:\Program Files\EverythingDopus-2.0b1-x64\ed.exe" parent:"D:\A folder\"

This utility is truly awesome.
Just a tip: You can apply a folder format to the Everything collection so it has the format you need.

1 Like

It required quite a big change, but now EverythingDopus CLI should handle quotes correctly

I added 2.0 beta 2 with the fix:

Hi @Zion, thank you!

Could you give me more info on how to add that format?
I keep finding new DOpus features I didn't know about all the time :grin:

Make a button or hotkey with the command below:
Properties FOLDEROPTIONS
Add, arrange, & Size your columns then save it for that specific folder.

How do I disable this for the command line tool? I just want the results shown without prompts.

@Zion This was added as a request once NotNull realized that getting too many results in dopus would slow it down and consume a significant amount of memory.
Since no one else complained about it, I assumed it was working as intended.
I'm planning to bump that warning to a higher number, at least 5000 results before triggering that warning. I believe that maybe even 50k results should be fine for dopus to handle quickly enough, but I'd need to test it a bit more.
Do you have a suggested amount of results that should trigger that warning?

If you'd like to see the problem in "all it's glory", search for just the character a, accept that warning.
Warning: You will probably need to force-close dopus or reboot your pc, as it can take several minutes for it to fully parse the results.

You can make this a optional command line argument. 1. to disable the warning completely -silent true, 2. To set the warning threshold -warning 5000. That way users can set their own config based on their needs.

1 Like

Personally, I find the warning helpful. It really is a prompt to encourage the user to refine their search terms to obtain more manageable results. There comes a point where a large number of results doesn't really help or speed up things from a processing point of view or finding what a user might be looking for.

Alternatively, I can see a case for quickly gathering files (eg *.pdf) for the purpose of moving them to another folder or drive, or some other purpose.

It may be helpful if a user can search for a term and then is able to search for particular files within the results. I just tried that, and it did not work. It would not search in the files collecting. Is it possible?

I also searched my system for *.pdf (without limitations) and it seemed to take a long time. I am using a Surface Pro 7+ 16GB Memory. I don't think there is a need to up the number of files that trigger the warning.

@Zoc thanks for doing this. I successfully implemented your changes. At the time I did it, it was not immediately obvious what was to add it to my configuration. Then I remembered that osp files are really compressed packages and from there I worked out I had to copy the script from the uncompiled files to the add-folder. I think some people would struggle without a compiled beta package or specific instruction on how to add the revised script.

1 Like

You could further refine results using the filter field which is instant.

That command line argument to customize warnings could be added, but it could also be a tricky change. I'll keep it in mind as a quality of life feature - but no promises for now as I'll be severely constrained time-wise for the next few weeks

If you have visual studio with c++ tools installed, you can delete the lines 93-101 in this file, compile and the warnings will be gone.

If you do that customization for you, I kindly ask that you do not distribute the modified exe, as I was quite confused when I was a new user for DOpus and a single thread had multiple files distributed by multiple people, each with their tiny bit of modification :slight_smile: