Explorer replacement for other windows

Is there a chance to replace also this type of windows?

SAVE

OPEN NEW FILE FROM SOFTWARES (Video player in this case)

That question was asked before. The answer is no. The forum's search function is your friend.

Ok thanks but it was hard to find exactly this. i watched the suggested topic that appears while you start writing and none of them was about this specific replacement.

There isn't a good way to replace those dialogs in Windows. People have tried but it causes more problems than it is worth.

Even Windows itself does not usually replace the old ones when they introduce new ones; programs have to opt-in in many cases.

But there are several tools which enhance the standard dialogs with extra functionality, including links to Opus (so you can quickly access Opus favorites or folders open in Opus windows, for example).

Can you link me those tools please?
I wouldn't know what to search

Here are some with forum threads. Not sure if there are others, but these are a good place to start if you want that kind of thing.

In no particular order (alphabetical, but one tool has two names so that's debatable :slight_smile: - alphabetical by forum thread title, at least)

It may be not a solution, but it's method I am using every day for years.

I don't care about dialog formats as long as they have filename field. Not everyone knows that paste path into "filename" field (+ enter) changes current directory without closing dialog box. So best method to access any path opened in Opus lister is copy it from "Location" field and paste into "file name" field in dialog box.

Or even faster - paste path before name of file and add "\" - and you'll write your file in that path. No more shortcuts needed or mouse functions etc.

I also used from time to time button with function:
subst W: {s|noterm}
(and "subst W: /D" for RMB)
to make drive letter that points to current Opus path. Then I can access it by writting "W:\" in filename or just choose "W" drive from list.

All these methods are faster (when you learn to use them) than choosing options in dialog box using mouse.

I hope that may help a little to improve your work with dialogs.

I tried Direct Folder. It's interesting but it doesn't make things faster for me. The solution i found using only directory opus is better.
When you said "enchance standard dialogues" i thought you were talking about soemthing that allows custom those menu like removing Computer / Raccolte / Home / Network. So i can addd everything to Favorites and maybe add some separators etc

You can add and remove shortcuts to/from the list of folders on the left of the standard File Open dialog, since Windows Vista I think. (Unless the program is still using the really old versions of the dialog.)

The programs I linked to let you have other types of favorites/shortcuts menus to quickly go to folders as well.