File Save As

So much to learn, so little time to learn it. Once again, thank you very much.

I had in mind the Common Dialogue Box as used for "Save as" in Adobe and other non-Windows programmes. I have now solved this by changing one of the five directories on the left to a directory of shortcuts to the locations I commonly use. (The "Save as" dialogues in Windows programmes are solved, as you showed me in the previous post, by adding the required directories to Favourites.)

That's the one I mean.

At least if the program does not force Windows to use an old version of the dialog, you can have as many favorites as you want on the left and it remembers its size.

(When a program does force one of the old dialogs to be used, a dialog-replacer could not safely modify the dialog anyway, because the usual reason programs ask for a specific version is that they are going to modify the dialog with custom controls or hooks. So if a program doesn't show the same dialog that Notepad shows, it's unlikely that program can be helped anyway; the program itself should be updated to use the newer dialog version(s).)

This is the Windows 7 dialog, and how it looks if Opus or Notepad opens it:

I set one of them to folder "Links", which includes shortcuts to my fav-folders. The newer dialog includes Links and saves the position, but you need to set size & position for every app it's started from! I hate it!

I remember on my Amiga 3000 there was a MUI-Dialog, comfortable, configurable, perfect... 20 years ago!

I understand the desire for a replacement for Windows dialogs, such as Open and Save As. Many years ago I used an incredible dialog replacement called DlgXRsizer, but the author decided a few years back to stop maintaining it, and once Windows advanced a few versions, even the most recent version he had released no longer worked. (Among other features, like resizing dialog boxes, it kept global and application-specific history lists for files, and two more lists for folders (global and app), and two more lists for favorites (also global and app). Those 6 history lists alone made it an incredible time saver. Unfortunately, that program is gone (as is Dialog Box Assistant, a similar but less capable program), but I do think if you do a web search you may be able to find something similar out there. For example, take a look at

http://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews/Archive/DialogExtenders/index.html

for starters. (Direct Folders looks promising.)

In the meantime, below is a way you can use DOpus to help you out. (The assumption, of course, is that DOpus is very easy to navigate around in, especially if you've configured buttons to take you to your favorite folders, and I do believe that is very much the case.)

I hope this helps.

-- Steve

Just to expand on my previous post, I'd like to offer an even-easier way to get the full path of your favorite folders copied into the clipboard:

(Note that I put @sync as the first line in the command sequence because I've had bad experiences with DOpus commands getting executed before a previous command had finished -- yikes!!! -- and best I can tell, the @sync tells DOpus "Do not proceed with a command until the previous one has completely finished!" Am I understanding the purpose of @sync correctly?)

-- Steve

@sync doesn't do anything if you just put it there on a line by itself. @sync also is not needed with any of those commands; they are all inherently synchronous. So adding it to the command in that way is not changing anything and not needed. @sync is only needed sometimes when launching external programs, to force Opus to wait for them to finish. (See the manual, under Reference > Command Reference > Command modifier reference, for more details on @sync and @async.)

If you just want a command which navigates to a folder and also puts that folder's path into the clipboard, there is a far easier way of doing it:

@nofilenamequoting GO "C:\Program Files" Clipboard SET {sourcepath$}

That will also include the \ at the end of the path which you wanted in your previous post.

BTW, the forum doesn't work very well with large images; they get cropped on the right (unless the web browser is made really wide) and they have to be clicked or scrolled if they are tall, meaning it isn't obvious that there's lots more to the image that isn't initially visible. IMO, it is a lot clearer to have separate screenshots with normal text between them to explain what's happening in each one, rather than one big image with all the text as part of the image. (Even if phpbb did a better job with large images, having real text means more of your post can be found via searching, and the handwriting font in those images is really difficult to read, too.)

Thanks, Leo. I had been wondering about that. Of course, I never noticed that in the manual, but now that you've told me, I looked in the manual again, and there under "Command Control Codes" (on pg 269 in the version 9 manual), it says

[quote="the manual"]Functions that contain multiple commands are by default processed synchronously. That is, each command in the
function is executed in turn, and the next command in sequence is not executed until the previous one has completed.[/quote]

Hmm. I also just noticed that in the list of @ commands, there isn't even a @sync command, just an @async command. Don't know where I got the notion of a @sync command from. What I do remember, is that once or twice in the past I had functions that consisted of multiple command lines behave in such a way that the only explanation I could think of was that commands weren't waiting for their predecessors to complete. But I can't recall now what the specifics were. I'll just take your word (and now the manual's word) that DOpus functions proceed synchronously.

And thanks for the more elegant command sequence. I'll try it out.

GREAT! It always was so annoying that I (thought I) had to type in the \ myself.

All of your points are very well taken, as they all make utter sense. :blush: Thanks, I appreciate you taking the trouble to make me a better citizen and my posts more effective. (Not being facetious at all; I'm completely sincere.)

Truth be told, in my first post yesterday -- the one with 8 screen shots --I did originally try to upload the 8 separate screen shots, but the system told me one cannot upload more than 3 for any one post, and that's when I decided to combine them into one image file. I will try to find better ways. (Blaise Pascal once wrote something to the effect of, "If I had had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." For my part, I think "If I had had more time, I would have used fewer screen shots", or something like that. :slight_smile:

Thanks again, Leo, for all your help.

-- Steve

My manual has both @sync and @async. (@sync is lower down the list since it is sorted alphabetically.)

The default sync/async state has varied over the years, settling on being sync by default for multi-line functions, and async by default for single-line functions (which may be run multiple times, once for each file). Neither mode is right in every situation, which is why they can be overridden, but those defaults seem to cause the least surprises.

You also used to need to manually add sync to functions which mixed internal and external commands, but that's no longer required (they run each line sync by default these days).

I've increased the max number of attachments that the forum allows. Sorry about how it was! I guess it always allowed me to go over the limit so I never ran into it or knew it was causing problems for non-admin accounts.

Hah! I must have the cheap manual, since mine doesn't have @sync, nor are the commands alphabetical.

(Through the miracle of cut-and-paste, here's the order they're in in my manual:

@codepage
@dironly
@filesonly
@firstfileonly
@filesfromdroponly
@nodeselect
@useactivelister
@nofilenamequoting
@nolocalizefiles
@confirm
@externalonly
@noexpandenv
@set
@runonce
@runbatch
@nocall
@norunbatch
@runmode
@keydown
@script
@async
@admin
@useactivelister
@leavedoswindowopen

No @synch, and, er, uh, well, mostly alphabetical. :wink: :wink:

Thanks, Leo. What's the new max?

(And why is your manual different from mine? :confused: )

-- Steve

Probably v10 (Leo) vs v9 (Steve).

Regards, AB

[quote="aussieboykie"]
Probably v10 (Leo) vs v9 (Steve).

Regards, AB[/quote]
But @synch existed also in v9.

The new F1 help came with Opus 10.0.2.0; are you using an older version?

(If you're looking at the PDF version, there are updated versions of that on the GPSoft website as well.)

It says Opus 10 next to both our posts (assuming that profile info is correct).

The old manual was missing a few things.

Last I heard, the v 10 manual wasn't finished yet. Glad to hear it's now available.

My version of DOpus is v 10.0.0.4.x64. Sounds like there's a new version. (I guess I don't have the DOpus autoupdater turned on, assuming there is one. I'll look into it.

Thanks, everybody.

-- Steve

There have been 10 new versions since 10.0.0.4.

If you don't want to use the auto-updater for some reason, keep an eye on either the Announcements area of this forum or on the Blog / RSS feed (link in my signature).

In the same way, we have the function

Go E:\ FOLDERCONTENT=nofiles,move

I would love to see something like

Go E:\ FOLDERCONTENT=nofiles,copypath

whereby the path of the folder you navigated to and clicked on is copied to clipboard, including the final \

One could then make a floating toolbar somewhere near the taskbar and create several menus of your frequently used folder (and automatically subfolder) locations, ready for pointing!

(Since your 'favourite' parent directories do not often change (but your subfolders do far more often))

could i suggest this to be VERY worthy feature request :slight_smile:

Since you will be digging into subdirectories one way or another anyway (either via the Go-FOLDERCONTENT menu or within the File Save As window), why don't you just have buttons which copy the path to your favorite foldes into the clipboard, then paste those into the dialog and dig into the subfolders from there?

That seems much simpler and just as quick & easy to use.

(Of course, you can put the favorite folders into the File Save As dialog itself for most versions of the dialog. I assume we are talking about programs which force the Win95-style dialog to be used; the one without a list or tree of paths on the left which you can edit.)

Ah not quite, I disagree. Even with the new dialog, the many subfolders I work with often change names, so I would have to frequently update the favorite folders in the dialog itself (if I wanted direct links).

However, with Go-FOLDERCONTENT, its simply a matter of 'cruising' to the right sub/subfolder after a SINGLE click on the correct parent

No 'digging in' (double clicking) OR scrolling up/down as such, plus I get a better at a glance view of my folder structure (which allows me to 'peek' in fleeting folders/gauge my working progress etc) / same spatial arrangement of items (better memory --> quicker).

Its the same reasons why most people prefer the old style windows xp start menu to the one in windows 7?

As I said before, I still think a floating toolbar locked to the taskbar with such menus would be great.

Is it possible to just have Opus Favorites be included in the left side of the Standard Save As dialogs?

I looked at this page where Leo mentions Pascal Hurni shell extension:

That brought me here:
65.39.148.34/KB/shell/NamespaceExtImpl.aspx

I don't know what to do with source files. How would I install this? Does it still work with Windows 7 standard Save As dialog? Probably not.

And then I was wondering if it was possible for Opus Favorites to match Windows Explorer Favorites the same way that Opus is compatible with the new Windows 7 Libraries. The way it is now, we need to keep two sets of favorites - one for Directory Opus and one for Explorer standard Save As dialogs. Maybe the two favorites lists can't be compatible because Opus has a lot more functionality.

In which case, my first question of simply making it possible to bring the Dopus favorites into the Save As dialog left pane near Explorer Favorites would solve the problem...

Pascal's shell extension hasn't been updated in a long time, and is 32-bit only at the moment, so I wouldn't recommend it unless it gets updated.

You can make Opus show the items from the Explorer Favorites bar in a toolbar/menu via this command:

Go /profile/Links FOLDERCONTENT

And you can edit what's in that by navigating to /profile/Links and adding/removing shortcuts to folders there.

How is it possible that in all these years it never occurred to me that Windows favorites list could be edited? Someone kill me, please.
I thought it was hardcoded and not customizable like most thing in Windows are. :grin:

Thanks, Leo. Another new obvious thing I learned today. Who knows how many more of them are. I must recheck my beliefs now. :grin: