File Tracker & Db Cataloger

I'd like DO to be able to catalog files within a specified folder and output this information as hyperlinks to a file. :confused: The closest thing I've found in this regard is the use of the Everything Search Engine, located at SearchEverything: Getting Opus to work with Everything v4.0. However, it appears somewhat cryptic and the message thread seems to start in the middle, leaving out the original intent. :question:

So, the above behavior would be the reporting element. I'd also like this plug-in feature to perform file monitoring in the event of a file create, move, or delete, as it occurs in real-time within DO. This behavior would then update the folder / sub-folder structure for the reporting element whenever the aforementioned file event occurs, persisting this event to a database or other data store. I believe this monitoring mechanism would be a DO plug-in that calls / hooks the applicable Windows API function whenever the event occurs.

As I was hoping I wouldn't have to write the code and link it to an instance of SQL Server Express or other database, is / are there existing plug-ins that perform some or all of the above functions? And thanks, Leo, for a great and extensible tool in Directory Opus! :slight_smile:

So you want to turn directory listings into HTML (with links back to the original files via file:// URLs), and update those HTML outputs automatically whenever the contents of the folders change?

Why would you do this as an Opus plugin rather than as a standalone tool? I'm not sure what doing it inside of Opus would gain you, since Opus can't help with the HTML report generation and the file-change-notification APIs in Winodws are available to you whether or not you are inside of Opus, and those seem to be the only two parts of the equation. Maybe I've misunderstood part of what you're aiming to do?

Sorry for the confusion ... so a little history.

In my development work, there are hundreds of files that I move around between folders, into new sub-folders, revise and/or delete on a monthly basis. With this volume of files, It can take me a minute or two to find a file I looked at a month or two ago. Rather than create my own hyperlinks and update them on a regular basis, I really need an automated approach.

The second plug-in (file monitoring) is what I really need, with the reporting tool a quick, electronic and searchable link to get me to a file quickly. Are you familiar with existing third-party applications, or should I start creating my own?

Doesn't indexed searching give you what you need? Opus supports the indexed search built into Windows.

...And a bit more detail...

I can't possibly remember the exact title for a filename, within hundreds that I access on a daily or monthly basis. So, I'm using a sub-folder taxonomy that may change from week to week or month to month, depending on evolving changes inside or out of a project-files infrastructure. Hope this helps!

I'm still not seeing what this needs that standard indexed searching doesn't already provide, sorry.

I guess I'll create an app to output the file structure to HTML hyperlinks. Thanks very much, Leo, for your time. :confused:

If you want to search for a file by partial name, just type that into the search field, when Opus is looking at the top-level folder. If the folders below are indexed the result should be almost instant.