Folder Content Incorrect - Can I Set a Default for a Folder?

How can I set a default folder content for certain folders. The automatic content setting apparently gets out of whack now and then.

On my desktop PC, the content for the My Documents folder shows as correctly "Documents". However on my notebook PC My Documents keeps displaying the content as "Images", which is incorrect. I can of course change it while viewing it but the next time I navigate to it, it is back to "Images"

And, no, there are not primarily photos in that folder -- the My Pictures folder is not even in the My Documents folder as most have it - I have that on a separate drive. First are about 40 subfolders and then mostly MS Office docs, txt files, and the like.

I tried clicking on the padlock in the status bar - another thread said to try that - but that doesn't work. I've been through the settings and I cannot find anything there that allows me to set "Documents" as a default for that folder.

I did see a couple of other threads asking about this but the solutions there were not clear at all.

Thanks.

Jim

I've tried changing the Preferences as mentioned in the FAQ and set My Documents to Documents, and My Music to Music, but then it stays as "None", and if I go back to Preferences the format has changed to "General".

There must be a way to get these right.

Jim

This is the FAQ you should be reading. Spend the to time carefully work your way through it.

Been there - and tried it several times; those settings are not sticking. If I change to another folder and then come back to the one I changed, it is now set as "None" - in every case.

Are there some "understood" steps that I am missing?

I am following those instructions exactly and the changes simply do not stick.

Thanks.

Jim

Content Type doesn't work like that - you don't assign a content type to a folder. It's always automatic.

Ouch - well why would it read the content incorrectly at times? That can't be right.

E.g. - The My Music folder has 2948 music tracks - over 2,000 in subfolders, and 794 in the main folder - and 154 image files in the form of Album Art, yet it is always assigned the "Images" content by DOpus. And the image files are not first in the folder - there are about 200 music tracks, then the image files, then the balance of the music tracks.

And yet DOpus is getting it correct on my desktop PC. On that PC all folders appear to be getting the correct content label.

Thanks.

Jim

In PREFS/FOLDERS/FOLDER FORMATS/CONTENT TYPE, check to see what the percentage the threshold is set to for both music and images. Sounds like the images percentage is set lower than music.

For that matter you might want to uncheck all of the content type folder formats, at least for awhile.

FWIW I have a LOT of folder formats, formats that are applied to specific folders, but I do use any content type folder formats.

Hmm.. All are set equally at 25%. I wonder why it selects a different content? Is it based only on certain files? E.g., the first half, or third? Or is it supposed to be all files in that folder?

Thank you!

Jim

Subfolder contents aren't counted, but 794 of 948 is still well over 25% so it should always be picking Music. What filetypes specifically are you talking about? If they're ogg or flac or something then these aren't in the default File Types Music group, so you would have to add them manually.

Jon,

Music tracks are about 75% MP3 and the rest are WMA. Both are covered, according to the File Types in Preferences.

This is not a deal killer or anything - I didn't even know about this feature when I first downloaded DOpus. But once I saw it I liked it - at least on my desktop PC. On my notebook I am going to have to find a way to either get it right or disable it altogether.

Windows Explorer is tough enough to configure folders on... I don't want to have to jump through the same hoops to try and get DOpus to display correctly with regard to folder views.

Thanks.

Jim

OK, I fixed it.

I created a folder named "Album Art" and moved the album cover images into it. My Music immediately starting showing as "Music" content instead of images.

It appeared that the album art - was were all JPEGs - were closer to the top of the folder, so DOpus must only look at X number of files at the top of the folder and decide on overall content from that relatively small sample. E.g., if it only looked at, say, the first couple of hundred files it would might have counted more or close to equal of both, while the rest were all music tracks.

Not the best way, IMO, but at least it is pretty simple to fix.

Thanks again all!

Jim

I'm fairly sure Opus looks at the whole directory when doing a Content Type match.

From the posts above, though, it sounds like the music files are in sub-folders? If so they won't count towards the content type of the parent folder. Could you post a screenshot or two showing what the folder looks like? That should make it easy to tell what's going on.

[quote="nudel"]I'm fairly sure Opus looks at the whole directory when doing a Content Type match.

From the posts above, though, it sounds like the music files are in sub-folders? If so they won't count towards the content type of the parent folder. Could you post a screenshot or two showing what the folder looks like? That should make it easy to tell what's going on.[/quote]
Well now the image files are in a separate subfolder so you won't see what it did look like. However I show my counts a few posts above -- basically DOpus CAN'T be using the whole directory, or else it is messed up here on both of my PCs.

For another example I also did this on my desktop PC, where the My Music directory contained the following:[ul]
[li] 71 subdirectories (all containing mostly MP3 files along with some album art images)
[/li]
[li] 211 JPEG files (Album art images)
[/li]
[li] 1,126 MP3 files.[/li][/ul]

That folder also showed up as having a DOpus folder format content of "Images", even with that 1,126 to 211 MP3 to JPEG ratio. However the image files were mostly at the top of the folder (filenames all started with "Album Art..." and only about 20 or so MP3's had filenames starting with numerals.) When I created a folder named Album Art and moved all the JPEGs into that folder, the DOpus folder format content then showed as "Music"

I really think DOpus looks at only the first 100 or so files and determines the content rating based on only those file types.

Thanks!

Jim

How many hidden files do you have, and what file type are they?

None hidden, Ken - I have DOpus show all files. There are a few system files in these folders, like Thumbs, desktop.ini, and a couple of playlist files. Total, If I remember correctly,is about 4 or 5.

Thanks.

Jim