Folder Tab Colors For Specific Drives

Can we customize the tab colors in the listers?

I was specifically looking to see if I could distinguish remote shares (\asdfd) from local drives, and maybe different local drives as well.

I've gotten used to FF tabcolor extension which colors tabs according to domains that helps me distinguish related folders.

I used the label tool to set a folder to orange, but the tab doesn't reflect that change, only the lister display and the treeview. http://gpsoft.com.au/help/opus10/default.htm#!Documents/Prefs/Labels.htm

You can, but not for specific types of folder.

There's an argument to be made that tab icons should reflect labels, I'll put this on the list.

Can you elaborate as to how to color tabs as of now? I can't find it by right clicking on the tabs, or in the preferences for folder tabs. Does it have something to do with tab groups?

Preferences / Display / Colors and Fonts: Folder tabs.

but that changes it for all of them. Doesn't allow me to pick and choose colors for individual tabs. I guess it can't be done right now.
so this is then a [feature request], allow labels to be reflected in tabs. And since labels allow auto-labeling via a filter, I can easily assign UNC paths to a specific label, right?

Have a good day.

[quote="VijaySaraff"]but that changes it for all of them. Doesn't allow me to pick and choose colors for individual tabs.[/quote]I request this too...
It will be usefull to assign color to tabs.
Now, to have different tabs colors, I use dual mode, open some tabs in both display and I create link between tabs.

I also would like to see the ability to assign different colors to each tab so that I can easily locate a preferred folder or drive.

Thanks,

Don Small

+1

+1

Do you all really want colours assigned to the actual tabs, or do you want the tabs to reflect colours assigned to the folders they are currently showing?

Assign color for each tabs for me...
It's just to localize tabs easily. Close tabs loose colors.
If we need to set color to folder to have tab color, we will need to unset it. And if we change folder, tab will lost color.

Well for me it's the latter:
"to reflect colours assigned to the folders they are currently showing.."

I have several folder structures which are identical on different drives and even on the same drive. Being able to locate that "bin" folder in the backup-hierarchy or to make that "tmp" folder within my mp3-sorting area pop out, would be awesome. I tend to show only the actual foldername in the tabs to safe some screen space, so any path information is invisible and i often find myself clicking several times to find *the other" tmp-folder.

Another example: I have at least three "gfx" directories in use in my day to day work:
d:\bin[b]gfx[/b] (containing installed gfx-apps)
d:\dat[b]gfx[/b] (containing gfx files (images etc.))
d:\dat\bak[b]gfx[/b] (containing backups/older versions of gfx-files)

Leo, you speak about labels ?

Yep

+1

Indeed there is: I think tab icon can tell you much more than tab color, but they can also complement each other :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="tbone"]Well for me it's the latter:
"to reflect colours assigned to the folders they are currently showing.."

I have several folder structures which are identical on different drives and even on the same drive. Being able to locate that "bin" folder in the backup-hierarchy or to make that "tmp" folder within my mp3-sorting area pop out, would be awesome. I tend to show only the actual foldername in the tabs to safe some screen space, so any path information is invisible and i often find myself clicking several times to find *the other" tmp-folder.

Another example: I have at least three "gfx" directories in use in my day to day work:
d:\bin[b]gfx[/b] (containing installed gfx-apps)
d:\dat[b]gfx[/b] (containing gfx files (images etc.))
d:\dat\bak[b]gfx[/b] (containing backups/older versions of gfx-files)[/quote]

Mine is more in line with this, and a similar situation. I mange a SHARE folder that is selectively synced across various devices. I need to be able to tell at a glance, which SHARE folder I'm looking at. Normally I attempt to separate them between left & right, but often they get mixed up. Therefore I need some visual cue to seperate them.

For me it's like the colorfulTabs extension with domain based color setting enabled. I.e. In that mode I don't even have to select a color, it automatically colors all domains to different pastel shades, and gives the same shade to the same domain, so at a glance you can tell where you are amongst the several sites you are browsing.

I wouldn't mind assigning a different label to each SHARE folder, and thus have each descendant folder have the same color. Though the ideal as I see it ( not necessarily everyone) is as described above, i.e. automatic coloring based on relationship of all tabs to each other). haha I can imagine how this would be a pain for everyone so I am ok with just the basic idea though, as it would work out with more control.

I've found a quick workaround that helps, (a duh! moment if ever).
I realized you can asssign custom icons to your folders and that they show up in the tab bar correctly. Thus to differentiate em, you can assign custom icons with different colors.
you can use some apps, or the properties panel of the folder.
folderico.com/download.html
thewindowsclub.com/color-cus ... ws-folders

HTH while we wait. it works for a small set of folders.

I'm trying to change the color of specific tabs to access quicker.

(E.G)
Volume E: Tab Colors = Green
Volume F: Tab Colors = Purple

I have come across this thread. Will this be implement anytime soon?

Thanks

Maybe in v12? I still hope it's gonna make it one day.. o)