FTP constantly reconnecting

Win7/64 DOP 10.0.2.3.4367.x64 against FTP ServU on Win2K3.

I'm new to DOP and its FTP capabilities are a big drawcard. But I find it terribly inefficient to use for simple FTP use, leastways it is when using our main (Secure TLS-based) site.

Example: I have Keep Alive (60 s) enabled in Default site|Network and it is not overridden for any site. My last access (directory display, upload or whatever) might have been only seconds ago. Yet whenever I:

a) Do a file upload
OR
b) Navigate UP the folder tree (via the .. link)
OR
c) Navigate to some other branch (via the folder tree display)

...it forces a RECONNECTION, which takes between 4 and 8 seconds. This is a very high penalty to pay when I already have a Keep-Alive connection open!

Is there some way to turn off this forced-reconnection? It may be fast enough on some standard connections to be default behaviour, but it sure isn't on my TLS one.

Also, is there an optional setting somewhere to bypass the "Confirm File Replace" dialog with the Replace/Skip etc. options, just for FTP? When I drag a file to my FTP view, I want it to upload, and that's that. However, I don't want to alter the file-system-wide replace confirmation, where there is a greater chance of error.

Thanks!

What does the FTP log say as it reconnects?

Below is the anonymised log for a ".." action on a site which had been accessed mere seconds earlier (via an earlier ".."). I cleared the log just prior to doing the second "..". As far as I can tell, it is needlessly reconnecting not once, but twice! -- in spite of the access just beforehand. AND is closing it at the end. Such behaviour baffles me completely.

Opening Connection sante.sss.com:21
220 Serv-U FTP Server v6.3 for WinSock ready...
234 AUTH command OK. Initializing SSL connection.
331 User name okay, need password.
230 User logged in, proceed.
200 PBSZ command OK. Protection buffer size set to 0.
200 PROT command OK. Using private data connection.
215 UNIX Type: L8
211-Extension supported
AUTH TLS
SSCN
PBSZ
PROT
CCC
CLNT
MDTM
MDTM YYYYMMDDHHMMSS[+-TZ];filename
SIZE
SITE PSWD;EXEC;SET;INDEX;ZONE;CHMOD;MSG
REST STREAM
XCRC filename;start;end
MODE Z
MLST Type*;Size*;Create;Modify*;Win32.ea*;
211 End
210 UTC-480
500 'CSID': command not understood.
200 Type set to A.
257 "/c:" is current directory.
250 Directory changed to /c:
Connection closed
Opening Connection sante.sss.com:21
220 Serv-U FTP Server v6.3 for WinSock ready...
234 AUTH command OK. Initializing SSL connection.
331 User name okay, need password.
230 User logged in, proceed.
200 PBSZ command OK. Protection buffer size set to 0.
200 PROT command OK. Using private data connection.
215 UNIX Type: L8
211-Extension supported
AUTH TLS
SSCN
PBSZ
PROT
CCC
CLNT
MDTM
MDTM YYYYMMDDHHMMSS[+-TZ];filename
SIZE
SITE PSWD;EXEC;SET;INDEX;ZONE;CHMOD;MSG
REST STREAM
XCRC filename;start;end
MODE Z
MLST Type*;Size*;Create;Modify*;Win32.ea*;
211 End
210 UTC-480
500 'CSID': command not understood.
200 Type set to A.
250 Directory changed to /c:
227 Entering Passive Mode (208,201,252,41,8,155)
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for MLSD.
1726 bytes received in 0.858 seconds (1.976 Kbytes/sec)
226 Transfer complete.
Connection closed

Thanks. Doesn't look like it's timing out or having any errors, at least.

Have you tried toggling PASV mode for the site?

Is there any way to test with paths on the FTP server that don't contain ":" in case that is confusing Opus somehow? (As far as I know it shouldn't, but that and PASV mode are the only things I can think to suggest.)

There are details of a test TLS FTP server here which you can use to verify that Opus works with it. For me, Opus does not reconnect each time I change directories with that site in TLS mode: secureftp-test.com/

1. PASV just led to failures when trying to access the directory listings:
    530 Only client IP address allowed for PORT command.

2. Logging on to another account on that server which does not use paths containing ":" at all, led to the same problem. Drilling down to a folder doesn't re-login, but use of "..", or of any path listed in the Folder Tree for the site, certainly does.

3.Likewise with ftp.secureftp-test.com - exactly the same symptoms in the same situations. Changing to not use PASV was ok for that site, but did not change the problem behaviour at all - see "Connection closed" in the listing below, which happened after I clicked on ".." right after changing to /subdir2:

250 CWD successful. "/subdir2" is current directory.
257 "/subdir2" is current directory.
Connection closed
Opening Connection ftp.secureftp-test.com:21
220-FileZilla Server version 0.9.39 beta
220-written by Tim Kosse (Tim.Kosse@gmx.de)
220 Please visit sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/
234 Using authentication type TLS
331 Password required for test
230 Logged on
200 PBSZ=0
200 Protection level set to P
215 UNIX emulated by FileZilla
211-Features:
MDTM
REST STREAM
SIZE
MLST type*;size*;modify*;
MLSD
AUTH SSL
AUTH TLS
PROT
PBSZ
UTF8
CLNT
MFMT
211 End
200 Don't care
200 MLST OPTS type;size;modify;
200 UTF8 mode enabled
200 Type set to A
257 "/" is current directory.
250 CWD successful. "/" is current directory.
257 "/" is current directory.
227 Entering Passive Mode (64,65,53,234,39,33)
150 Connection accepted
226 Transfer OK
606 bytes received in 0.452 seconds (0.1000 Kbytes/sec)

I don't know what is causing DOP to close and reconnect all the time, but it should not.

Are you using a proxy?

Not at all. And no issues with other FTP clients, e.g. CoreFTP, CuteFTP.

Does anybody else have a clue about this problem please? I'm liking D-Opus more and more as I learn to customize the UI, but this very bewildering FTP inefficiency is a real showstopper.

I think I've reproduced it now, at least with the ".." item, but I haven't had a chance to look into it fully.

For now, if you go up using the Up button on the toolbar (or Backspace key) then it should work around the problem.

Sorry, looks like the Parent button does the same thing as the ".." item, so that was bad advice.

I've filed a bug report for this now that I've confirmed it and worked out exactly when it does & doesn't happen.

Thanks for checking again, good news that you have a handle on it.Just confirming that Up and Backspace indeed give the same behaviour. As does initiating any file transfer - it seems to require a distinct login -- even if it just did another access or transfer moments ago. And, with Auth-TLS at least, this needless extra reconnecting is particularly slow and noticeable.

A fix for this has been written and tested. It should be part of the 10.0.3.1 beta which we aim to release in about a week.

Confirmed that this 10.0.3.1 fix seems to be working well. I see the occasional unexpected reconnect, but nothing like before. Thank you.

Sorry to dig out this old post, but I seem to have a very similar problem.
I am working on my website and every couple of seconds the reconnect happens and it even goes on after I closed the tab with the ftp connection, what is most disturbing. I always have to shut down Dopus entirely and restart it.

I just recently started working on this ftp site, that is why this has not happened before.

I have been getting the same behaviour the past few months.. I m not sure something is not working, but it is kind of annoying to see the same window pop up a couple of times... :unamused:

Exactly, as much as I do not want to complain about it, but it is annoying especially since it does continuously pop up even after I closed the ftp tab. Wish there was something I could do about it.

What triggers this to start happening? How do we make it happen to investigate it?

The FTP Log window may indicate what is being done with the connection, which may in turn help understand why it is reconnecting (or at least why Opus wants the connection at all; the reconnection part may be because the site keeps dropping the connection).

Another thing to check is that other FTP clients don't have similar problems when doing the same sort of thing on the same site, and that they & Opus are configured the same (PASV mode etc.).

Thanks Leo for your reply, unfortunately I had no time to check into it today but I will try out your suggestions and also maybe post the log.
I did realize today though that indeed the reconnecting does happen at randon times. Will do more testing also with other software.

It happens here too, randomly. I´m not sure, but i have the feeling, that it tends to happen after some aborts (after the FTP list
didn´t got populated, which happens on a regular base here. But i suppose thats rather a problem with my very simple DSL provider´s FTP)
or aborted copy actions.

Same here. Dopus reconnects to some FTP sites over and over It happens even after closing all tabs and closing main Dopus window (I have to kill dopus process manually from task manager). I'll try to post some logs when it happens again.