HEIC Viewer

Unable to view HEIC thumbnails until after they are opened and viewed in Photos app.
Viewer pane not working for HEIC files.
HEVC extensions are definitely installed.
How can I get the viewer to show my HEIC files and thumbnails?

More info:
Using Opus 12.22.3 Beta.
Using Windows 10 Pro 2004 OS Build: 20270.1 Feature Experience Pack 120.27512.10351.0 (Insider Edition)

What happens for thumbnails and the viewer in File Explorer?

The behavior is the same in File Explorer. Double clicking the HEIC Image opens the image in Photos. Then, toggle the view between Details and back to "Extra Large Icons" will show the preview.

On closer examination I have discovered the following quirks associated with the HEIC and other thumbnails not showing. Here is a summary:

1. My thumbnail not showing relates to the iCloud Photos folder.
  2. Many (not all) iCloud photos show the file names in the directory folder but have not yet downloaded to my hard drive (see status column below).
  3. When the filenames are opened, they are downloaded (takes a few seconds for each file) to the hard drive making the thumbnails available for Dopus to display.
  4. The image below shows a status column indicating this phenomenon. (Note that this same status column does not render in Dopus), perhaps because in File Explorer there are multiple status columns but in Dopus only one.
  5. After ensuring that the .HEIC file exists (in a temporary folder), Dopus is definitely showing the thumbnail, but the Viewer Pane continues to display the "Please close and reopen the viewer..." message.

So in short, the thumbnail issue is resolved, but the .HEIC viewer issue remains!

If Explorer is the same then it points to an issue with Microsoft's HEIC codec. Uninstalling and reinstalling it might fix it.

For the HEIF Image Extensions, the Microsoft Store shows that "This Product is Installed" however the product does not show up in the Windows 10 Apps & features or in the the Programs & Features list. The viewer pane continues to show it needs the HEIF Image Extensions.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?Dopus HEIF Plugin Requirements

It's there for me, under "HEIF" (note: not HEIC; the format unfortunately has two names):

If the Microsoft Store shows it is installed but Settings / Apps & Features says it isn't then I don't know how to fix that. It's not an Opus issue so outside our area of expertise.

Thank you. But it does not show for me. I will look for an alternative codec.

Finally Solved: I can now see .HEIC files in the Dopus viewer pane by installing the CopyTrans HEIC for Windows (free for personal use) and following the post-installation instructions.
However, a side-effect I am noticing is that my Windows File Manager no longer seems to show any previews (but since Dopus shows the previews this will be an issue for another day!)

1 Like

I'm not able to see HEIC/HEIF files in Explorer or Dopus. Here are my settings. Have I missed anything?

Did you try the Windows Photos app as the message in red suggsts?

Yes

CopyTrans recently stopped working on my system (no idea why). I installed the LAV Filters instead.

As the message says, it sounds like the decoder can't handle the file. Trying another decoder would be the next step.

I tried a few with no luck. Any suggestions?

If you’re using Windows 10 or 11, the codec from the Microsoft Store, published by Microsoft themselves (if there are others) should work.

1 Like

I believe my issue has more to do with viewing HEIC files in Explorer from my iPhone, not local files.

So they same file works if you copy it to a local drive first? (And it’s still HEIC after copying?)

Anyone solved this problem? - CopyTrans not working anymore !

Which version of Windows are you on?

Windows 11