[Help] Point to select multiple items

Hi,

I must have done something wrong with my Dopus configuration and cannot find the way back. In list or details mode, with Explorer folder options set to "Single-click to open and item (point to select)"/"Underline icon titles only when I point at them", I used to be able to point to an item to select, then use Ctrl to operate multiple selection. Right-now, this selection process does not work like it still does in Windows Explorer. The items selected with Ctrl are only highlighted when actually click on the item and not just by with the cursor pointing on it, and also only after I release the Ctrl button. Would someone have some idea where I could have messed up? Thanks for the help.

Is Preferences / File Displays / Options / Single click to open an item (point to select - does not apply to Power mode) turned on in Opus (not Explorer)?

Yes, the option is turned on in Dopus.

Make sure you're really in Details mode, and not Power mode accidentally.

I am in Details mode or List mode (never use Power Mode actually). I cannot figure out what's wrong.

Are filenames in Opus underlined when you point to them?

What type of folder are you looking at?

Maybe a screenshot would help see what's happening and spot what's wrong.

I have not changed my configuration preferences for a very long time thus continued to ask to myself what could have changed? The updates. I now just reverted to version 10.1.0.0 and 10.2.0.0 for testing purposes. Lo and behold, the point and selection process work as it should in both versions but not with 10.5.0.0. I'm sticking with 10.2.0.0 for now.

[quote="leo"]Are filenames in Opus underlined when you point to them?
Maybe a screenshot would help see what's happening and spot what's wrong.[/quote]
Yes, the first one is selected by point-select as it should. Then when I continue with a multi-selection by holding Ctrl, the file or folder is not selected with point select but only when the Ctrl hold on the second item is released or when I click (not point-select) on the files or directories only.

A screenshot would not show you the problem, I would have to make a screen video. As of now, I have reverted to the previous version of Dopus as mentioned earlier and things are working fine.

[quote="chooquette"]I have not changed my configuration preferences for a very long time thus continued to ask to myself what could have changed? The updates. I now just reverted to version 10.1.0.0 and 10.2.0.0 for testing purposes. Lo and behold, the point and selection process work as it should in both versions but not with 10.5.0.0. I'm sticking with 10.2.0.0 for now.

[quote="leo"]Are filenames in Opus underlined when you point to them?
Maybe a screenshot would help see what's happening and spot what's wrong.[/quote]
Yes, the first one is selected by point-select as it should. Then when I continue with a multi-selection by holding Ctrl, the file or folder is not selected with point select but only when the Ctrl hold on the second item is released or when I click (not point-select) on the files or directories only.

A screenshot would not show you the problem, I would have to make a screen video. As of now, I have reverted to the previous version of Dopus as mentioned earlier and things are working fine.[/quote]

I know this doesn't really help you, but this is not a general problem with versions above 10.2.0.0. It almost certainly worked the way you expect for me in 10.5.0.0 and definitely does in 10.5.0.3.

Hi Bob, I've not said or implied that it is a general problem. I even thought it was my own doing, thus the post requesting assistance, until I remembered that I've not changed my Dopus preferences for more than a year as far as I can recall. Therefore to continue with the troubleshooting, I rolled back to 10.1.0.0 first and seeing that things were like it should be, I tried with 10.2.0.0 and will stick with it for now. I don't generally install beta versions so I have not tried the version you're referring to. I'll install 10.5.0.3 out of curiosity to check out at my next restart in some days.

I installed v10.5.0.3 and have the same problem than with v10.5.0.0. I'm staying with 10.2.0.0.

Nothing changed with this and as others have said it does work fine in 10.5 for us. You're welcome to stay with 10.2.0.0 if you like but you'll be using it forever since if there is a problem there it's extremely unlikely to just spontaneously resolve itself without assistance from the (so far) one person it is affecting.

Well Jon, I don't know what to do then. As I said, I have not changed my configuration for a year now therefore I cannot see what has induced the problem so that version 10.5 wouldn't work for me. I even tried to restored my configuration saved at different points in time to no avail. Thus, despite my willingness to update, I don't see what else I can do seeing that the point select is a major feature for me using when using a file explorer. Your assistance is most welcome and I would very much appreciate it.

Is the Ctrl key a factor? In your original post you never said whether it worked normally if the Ctrl key was not held down?

(e.g. does it behave like "single-click" mode is not turned on at all? or does it work ok except when holding down the Ctrl key?)

Hmmm... I will try to reply in the clearest way I can.

I don't understand very well what you mean by a factor but the point to select works fine when Ctrl is not involved, i.e. the mouse cursor points to select (a single file or folder that is) works fine. However, when I wish to select other items with the first one by maintaining the Ctrl key, the function does not work like it should, i.e. like in Windows Explorer. And even if it's not working correctly in Dopus 10.5, the function works as normal in Explorer.

You lost me here but I will try to reply. The complementary selection done with Ctrl key works on click, not on point-select as it should. So I guess the answer to your question is yes.

If you start with no items selected, hold the Ctrl key down, and point to a file, does it select the file?
If not, does anything happen at all?

Please excuse me for popping in, but Chooquette, also makes sure there's no 3rd party tool/utility capturing your ctrl-key or whatsoever and also make sure your ctrl-key/keyboard is working as expected. I had ctrl/shift issues these days as well, and found out later, that it was just my keyboard that malfunctioned (occasionally).

[quote="jon"]If you start with no items selected, hold the Ctrl key down, and point to a file, does it select the file?
If not, does anything happen at all?[/quote]

Unfortunately no :frowning:
And no, nothing happens.

Thanks tbone for taking an interest in my problem. The more the merrier :smiley:
I closed all autohotkey scripts just for the sake of thoroughness but no, the issue is the same. I don't think it's my keyboard or a 3rd party tool/utility because with Dopus version ante 10.5, it's working. It must be something in my configuration that is messed up but I can't figure out the culprit.

Nothing happens at all? The filename you're pointing at doesn't even get underlined?

The file is not "underlined" as it should. I can see the frame ghosting but not the true underline coloring and the file is not selected for say a copy because as soon as the Ctrl key is released, the ghost frame disappears.

I've made some print-screen in the hope that my explanation is clearer. Thank you so much for your patience in helping me.