How can I show Office (Word, Excel) Thumbnails In Lister?

Although newly created Word & Excel documents (see test 0 & 1 below) show thumbnails in Lister, some older word documents (test 2 & 3) do NOT show their thumbnails (same thing occurs in Win 11 File Explorer). What is strange is that some of the older docx and docm files do show thumbnails!

Tried:

• Emptying thumbnail cache
  • Confirmed the word properties and Dopus settings for [Word and Excel document thumbnails] (Word and Excel document thumbnails).
  • Edited and resaved an older office 365 Word document.

Is there anything I can do, in Win 11, so Dopus will always show thumbnails (previews do work) for the older (2016-2022) Word (Docx) and Excel (Xlsx) documents?

This is more a question MS Office than Opus. You'll see the same thumbnails in File Explorer.

I think Office has an option to include thumbnails when saving files, but I may be wrong and am not an expert.

For what its worth...there is something happening here...and what it is is not exactly clear...

If you simply copy all content from an old word.dotm file to a new word file and save it to a new file (with thumbnail), then the word thumbnail does render.

I did find this old posting that tries to explain things but it did not help me:
Word preview thumbnails not working for files with locked content controls

https://www.intowindows.com/enable-file-explorer-thumbnail-preview-for-word-excel-powerpoint-docs/

1 Like