How do YOU use Opus?

This pandemic made me spent a lot more time in front of my Windows PC working. I get to use Opus a lot more than before. At work, I am issued a Mac which was the primary machine and I use the PC for gaming and as weekend PC. The pandemic, work-from-home changed all that.

I am curious how everyone use Opus in your day to day activities. I'll start by describing how I use it.

1. I have a multi monitor set up and so I launched Opus by double clicking on the Win 10 desktop and it opened around where my mouse is. Very useful when I have an ultra wide monitor and wanted the Lister to be just where I clicked it.

2. I have also set up the default Lister to be a small, square window, with the toolbars and folder-tree hidden. This made my Lister as minimalist as possible. It also has a few tabs that I frequently used ready for me to click such as Downloads, Inbox, (kids) Homework, iCloud Photos.

3. I am not very good at remembering keyboard shortcuts and so, I set up F12 to reveal or hide my toolbar. When the toolbar is revealed, it's already pre-configured to display the keyboard shortcut to press for showing the Folder Tree or Viewer Pane or Metadata Pane.

4. The Lister defaults to Detail view but I can double click any where in the lister to quickly switch it to Thumbnail view, or vice versa.

5. I created a tab group button, so that I could open a different set of folder tabs for different workflow, for instance, I have "Drives", which will have each of my HDD/SDD drives opened in their own tab. I also have "Media" group which switch the folder tabs to My Pictures, iCloud Photos, My Comics, My Video, My TV tabs - all of them ready for me to click.

1. If I need to do some heavy lifting work such as copying files, moving files, I will double click on the Opus taskbar icon which is configured to launch a Dual Lister, that is also configured with its own set of folder tabs.

2. I also have a few other Dual Lister Layouts saved to the Desktop as shortcuts. For example, I will have one layout for each of my clients or projects which I worked on. So, when a client sent me an email or give me a call, I will double click the Layout in the Desktop and a Dual Lister will open with the client root folder opened in Source Lister, and other relevant folder tabs in the Target Lister.

3. I use Status Label to help me visually locate important files - I will pin and mark important documents and I use flag to mark documents which are work-in-progress.

1. I am also using Opus as a photo management software. All of my photos are synced to iCloud. There are around 40,000-50,000 photos and so, I use Filters to view photos by year (and by quarter). This is "almost" like how the Photos app in iPhones or Mac work, where one can browse a group of photos by years.

2. In this instance, I hide all the file names and extension and view the photos in Thumbnails. I use the Label to mark iCloud Photos folder so that I can visually tell them apart, without needing to display the folder names.

These customization made Opus a fun and valuable tool for me. I'm very impressed with the amount of customization and the speed of Opus doing it's work. It really made me feel like my Windows PC is so uniquely made for me and my workflow!

I can't wait to see how you are using Opus and get some new ideas from all of you who have been using it far longer than I do. Please do share your best practices!

5 Likes

I like the Pin status icon. How do you sort files with "pinned" status to the top?

Pinned status is a system defined label by Opus. I just use it and it automatically pinned the file to the top. No special configuration is needed.

One caveat with the pin option is it's only currently processed when the file becomes visible (labels don't get calculated until then), so it doesn't work well if the file is out of view when the folder loads.

Something we will improve in the future.

2 Likes

Always learning something new about this software. Somehow I missed this built-in status entirely. Thanks!

And good to know it's being improved. It's never something I thought of, but now that I know it's there, I can think of plenty of ways to use it.

1 Like