How to create saved queries based on tags

I want to use the file collections feature so I can view all of my tags in one place- I want collections to be created for each of my tags. I tried to set up Saved Queries for some test files, but it doesn't work for files that don't natively support tagging in Windows.

How do I get around this? Is it possible to write a script for this?

I have tried Tagger and looked around this forum for solutions, but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I hope future versions of Dopus improve the tagging functionality.

Stored Queries are a feature of Windows Search, and the capabilities of them are down to Windows Search.

If you want to use a type of tags that Windows Search doesn't understand, you can use Opus's native Find Files functionality, but not in the same way as a Stored Query. You can make a button which runs predefined Find command on a predefined folder (or on the current folder, or multiple folders, etc.) and shows you the results. But you can't make that happen automatically just by going into a folder (although you could probably script that).

To help more, we'd need more detail on the types of files and the actual tags involved. ("Tags" can mean a lot of different things.)

Okay, so if I wanted to use the button method you mentioned, I wouldn't have file collections for each tag? Maybe I could write a script that updates a file collection whenever I press the button...I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to scripting/programming in general, but I can look into cobbling something together.

I am adding tags using the metadata panel inside Opus. I am tagging folders and files, and some of the files I want to tag don't support tagging in Windows Explorer, like PDFs.

The COLLNAME argument to the Find command lets you specify the name of the collection it outputs to, so you could have a button for each tag, and a separate collection for each button/tag as well.

All the arguments are explained here: https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Find.htm

1 Like