How to use Directory Opus with Tagging for Windows

I've been trying to find an easy to use solution for tagging and organizing all my files in Windows. Directory Opus's tagging system, even when used with the Tagger script, hasn't been easy for me to use. Software like Tabbles and Tagging for Windows do a great job with displaying and sorting files/folders with tags- I know that they're both different from Opus in that they use a database instead of associating the tag with the actual file. I think I remember reading that Opus uses a database of labels, but I use labels for a different purpose and I don't want to mix them with my tags.

I asked another question about creating virtual files using Saved Queries/Collections, and if that method doesn't work, I would want to turn to Tagging for Windows.

Tagging for Windows integrates with File Explorer, and most of its features are displayed in Opus. The way I understand it, it creates virtual folders for each tag. However, the virtual files aren't visible outside of the folder tree. Is there any way to get this to work with Opus?

Setting Preferences / Folders / Virtual Folders / Treat all virtual folders as real may make it work, but that's just a guess. I don't know how Tagging for Windows works and had not heard of it before today.

1 Like

That program looks insanely useful. Going to have to try it out.

1 Like

That worked! Changing that setting hadn't occurred to me. Now I can use Tagging for Windows seamlessly in Opus. The only things that are wonky about it (so far) is the custom theme I have doesn't apply the colors to the tab that displays the tagged file list, and I can't view the list of tags attached to a specific file inside Opus (but they still show up in Explorer). Thanks Leo!

1 Like

Might want to contact the devs and ask if they can help getting those last features working. It might be possible that they can pass or receive data between opus with minimal effort. Definitely worth a shot.

1 Like

They don't work because the option to make the folders treated as virtual means either the Windows shell or their custom namespace (depending on how they've implemented things) will render the folders inside of Opus, so none of the Opus-specific functionality or aesthetics will apply when viewing them.

I am just learning about this app but unfortunately the solution listed here "Preferences / Folders / Virtual Folders / Treat all virtual folders as real" is not working for me. I can see the "Tagging" icon in the folder directory in Opus. However, when clicked, nothing happens.

Has OP or anybody else found a stable solution since the writing of this post? If any, please share!

Thanks!

1 Like

I think you’d need to turn the option off rather than on. My original post wasn’t clear about that (or I thought it was the other way around at the time), but based on other info in the thread after that, it looks like it would need to be off.

Hi there,
I know that thread is 2 years old but I'll try anyway :slight_smile:

I installed mentioned "Tagging For Windows" and tagged some files for testing purposes.
Then I checked inside Opus if I can see these "sets" (or virtual folders) made by above program.
Well... I cannot (playing with ** Preferences / Folders / Virtual Folders / Treat all virtual folders as real** does not help). Thesa are the folders I can see:

So I pressed Shift Enter and typed "tagging" and that took me to right place but all I can do is browse through a folder structure - I cannot see any files inside these "virtuals" catallogs, see the pic below:

Then I decided to check another program (Total Commander) and to my surprise I can see what's inside:

Is there a way to see the content of these virtual folders under Directory Opus?
Thanks.

Well, there is :slight_smile:
I just had to shut down the computer.
After installation of "Tagging For Windows" I was asked to restart my computer and I did so but Opus couldn't show any files inside that Tagging drive.
So now i just powered it off, started again and it works, heh.

Thanks.

@peCeha Man, you are lucky with this. On my end, no matter what I try, it doesn't work with my Opus; Clicking on the Tagging icon stay unresponsive.
Just wondering, do you get to do the tagging in Opus or you must do them in Explorer and Opus is just read-only?

well, tagging was only possible from within Explorer (Opus or TC -> read only).
Anyway I already got rid of "Tagging for windows" and started using Diffractor (stand alone, free program - and there is a way of editing its tags using other program - cannot remember what it was called...).