How to customize and save a default layout

I want to make changes to a layout and have it be the default layout. How might I do that? Are there any instructions in the user manual?

See the page on the Default Lister: gpsoft.com.au/help/opus10/de ... Lister.htm

I had looked at this already. Among other things, it reads "The Default Lister is a special saved layout that consists of a single Lister. It is generally used whenever a "new" Lister is opened and a specific saved layout is not specified. The default Lister exists automatically - you do not need to create it yourself - and by default, it is updated automatically whenever you close a Lister."
This does not work for me. After I make changes to the layout and save it, the next time I open Opus my changes have disappeared.
please advise.

Note that it also says "The default Lister is not used whenever a saved Lister layout is opened - either by manually opening the layout, or by triggering an action (like double-click on the desktop) that is configured to open a layout".

How are you opening Opus?

I am clicking on the Opus icon.
Why should it matter if there is a default layout? Isn't that what "default" means, that it will always be used?
If i double click on the desktop I get the same result. my changes are not being saved.

Can you point me to where in the user manual it explains how to change the default layout so that whenever i launch Opus the layout will come up. Note that this is a really simple thing to do with Windows Explorer.

What do you have set in Preferences / Launching Opus / Startup (under "Listers opened automatically when Directory Opus starts") and Preferences / Launching Opus / From the Desktop ?

open the listers that were open when the program was last closed

Can you point me to where in the user manual it explains how to change the default layout so that whenever i launch Opus the layout will come up. Note that this is a really simple thing to do with Windows Explorer.

1 Like

If you have those options set to "Open the Listers that were open when the program as last closed", that is what will happen when the program is launched in those ways. If you want the Default Lister to be opened, set those options to "Open the Default Lister".

I'm note sure what relevance your reference to Explorer has given that it doesn't have any of this functionality.

Also, I keep deselecting the Video Codec column, but it keeps reappearing.
I cannot figure out how to save my layout changes so that they are reflected when I relaumch Opus.

I set to open default lister and that doesn't work either.
I need a step by step on how to change the lister layout and save it so that it always comes up when I launch Opus.
This should be a common task. Is there somewhere, say in the user manual, where this is explained?

1 Like

See the page on the Default Lister: gpsoft.com.au/help/opus10/de ... Lister.htm

the reference to Windows Explorer is that all one need do is click on folder options, view, and apply to folders. What might be the corresponding instruction for Opus?

1 Like

I think part of the confusion is because you're not trying to set up L layout, you're trying to set up the default Folder Format.

Layouts and Folder Formats are two different things.

Here's the guide on how to set up the default folder format: Folder Formats: Quick Guide

the link to default lister is the one that I started with. I cannot figure this out. I need a step by step 1, 2, ... on how to change my layout and save it so that it comes up with the saved layout when I relaunch Opus.

My reply above has a step-by-step guide.

I went through the whole procedure in the folder formats: quick guide, as you suggested. It still doesn't work although the codec column did not reappear (which is what I wanted). The size keeps shifting back to what it was before I made the changes.

The size of what?

If you mean the size of the columns, you need to turn off the Auto-size option on the Display tab in the Folder Options dialog.

See gpsoft.com.au/help/opus10/de ... ptions.htm for more information.