How to customize and save a default layout

It may be a "sucking eggs" suggestion, but I often see messages from people who say that they do not know how to create screenshots.

The easiest way to do this is to get the window you want to grab in the foreground, press "Alt+Print Screen", then go into DOpus and "right click" "paste".

Then give the file an appropriate name and upload it here.

Another too that you can use is the "Snipping Tool" that comes with Windows. That also has a "window grab" mode.

Like I said, possibly a lesson in egg sucking but it is surprising how many people have not stumbled upon "Alt+Print Screen".

Here is how my layout comes up: x2
Here is how I would like it to look every time: X1 How to set the options so that this happens

We've told you how to set the options so that this happens.
Turn off the auto-size option in Folder Options, then follow the steps in the FAQ that Leo linked.

If this doesn't work for you, instead of just endlessly repeating that it doesn't work, explain what you actually tried.

I did turn off the auto-size option in Folder Options. and hit Apply/OK and then save for all folders.
It does not stay off.
When I relaunch Opus it is on again.
please advise.

You didn't post any of the other screenshots showing your Prefs setting either, or answered the question about "how you're launching Opus - i.e. double-click on desktop, shortcut on desktop, tray icon, etc - since launching Opus in different ways can be configured to have a different result".

I am double clicking the desktop.
All I want is this simple folder view to show with the size correct and for all folders.

[quote="larryparks2"]I did turn off the auto-size option in Folder Options. and hit Apply/OK and then save for all folders.
It does not stay off.
When I relaunch Opus it is on again.
please advise.[/quote]

Unless you are using Opus Light (and I don't think you are if you are launching Opus by double-clicking the desktop) you need to use "For All Folders + Layouts & Folder Tabs" instead of "For All Folders" (step 1 in the guide).

You may also need to update each of the Default formats (step 4 in the guide).

Please post the screenshots Steje asked for. It only takes a moment and they may be important. If you need help with how to post a screenshot, just ask.

You have me thoroughly confused.
"Unless you are using Opus Light (and I don't think you are if you are launching Opus by double-clicking the desktop) you need to use "For All Folders + Layouts & Folder Tabs" instead of "For All Folders" (step 1 in the guide).

You may also need to update each of the Default formats (step 4 in the guide)."
I have Opus 10.
Where is "For All Folders ....?"
"the guide?" which is that.
It's not clear to me EXACTLY what screenshots you want me to send you, which is why I have not sent them.

He is probably referring to the place that several people have suggested you read in the QuickGuide (see link above).

Opus 10 comes in two editions: Pro and Light.

You can see which one you are using by opening the Help menu and selecting About Directory Opus:

The window which opens will have a stripe in the top-right corner saying either "pro edition" or "light edition":

(If you do not see a stripe in the corner at all then you're using an old version from before the light edition was introduced.)

The step-by-step guide which I pointed to earlier:

[ul][li]Leo wrote:
Here's the guide on how to set up the default folder format: Folder Formats: Quick Guide
[/li][/ul]

And again more recently:

[ul][li]Leo wrote:
In other words, refer back to the Folder Formats: Quick Guide and re-do #1 and #4.
[/li][/ul]

And which you said you had followed:

[ul][li]larryparks2 wrote:
I went through the whole procedure in the folder formats: quick guide, as you suggested.
[/li][/ul]

[quote]Where is "For All Folders ....?"[/quote]
You mentioned using the For All Folders menu item yourself, so you must know where it is:

[ul][li]larryparks2 wrote:
I did turn off the auto-size option in Folder Options. and hit Apply/OK and then save for all folders.
[/li][/ul]

But, as was said both here and in the guide, For All Folders is not the right thing to select when saving the folder options.

You are supposed to select For All Folders + Layouts & Folder Tabs instead. It is in the same menu, just below the For All Folders item. It is shown and highlighted by a red box in the screenshot which MichaelKenward posted just above. The screenshot comes from the guide.

[quote]It's not clear to me EXACTLY what screenshots you want me to send you, which is why I have not sent them.[/quote]
If a request is not clear then please ask for clarification rather than ignore it.

Steje posted screenshots of several pages from the Settings -> Preferences window and asked you to take screenshots of the same pages.

The pages he asked for within the Preferences window are:

[ul][li]Folders / Folder Behaviour[/li]
[li]Launching Opus / Default Lister[/li]
[li]Launching Opus / From the Desktop[/li]
[li]Launching Opus / From the Taskbar icon[/li]
[li]Launching Opus / Startup[/li][/ul]

(Previous post fixed to ask for Folders / Folder Behaviour as the first Preferences page. Thanks for the correction, Steje! --Leo)

Here are the 5 requested screen shots

Not that I can see.

How did you add them? Attachments? Weblinks?

I don't see how to include the screen shots. please give me an email and Il'll email them to you, or let me know how to attach them to this post.

also, again, how to let Opus know which folder to be the one for the default when the lister loads?

1. Use the "Post Reply" or "Full Editor" button, not the "Quick Reply" button.

2. Below the box for typing your post, there's an "Upload Atttachment" tab, and within that you can select your image file.

3. After selecting the file, click "Add the file" to upload it to the forum.

4. Images can be in PNG, JPG or GIF formats.

Please see the Startup Folders FAQ.

here are the screen shots.

I cannot find: "Turn off Settings -> Preferences / Listers / Options: Update Default Lister automatically when closing a Lister."

I dont see an entry for "Listers"

please advise.

Thanks!

You probably want to select these two settings so that it is always the Default Lister you are opening:

[ul][li]Preferences / Launching Opus / From the Desktop / Open the Default Lister[/li]
[li]Preferences / Launching Opus / From the Taskbar icon / Open the Default Lister[/li][/ul]

Apologies, the Startup Folders FAQ needed updating as the setting was moved. I've updated it now.

The correct location is Preferences / Launching Opus / Default Lister, but I can see from your Y2.jpg that the Update Default Lister automatically when closing a Lister setting is already off, so you don't need to worry about that one.