How to open images files with Photoshop on doubleclick?

Have searched and experimented - am stumped...

I want image files (either specific ones or all images filetypes to open in Photoshop when double-clicked.

In Settings, Filetypes, I have set specific images files (gif, jpg, jpe, jpeg, psd) to open in Photoshop - the window for each specific filetype says "Opens with" and lists Photoshop. DO 8 insists on opening images files in the stand-alone viewer - even Photoshop's own PSD files.

Any suggestions appreciated!
NAL

Figures - just found solution -

In Settings, File Types, Recognized Images, removed "show" from the Events Tab, dblclk. Now my image files open in Photoshop.

Cheers!
NAL

I believe you also control this by telling dopus to be the default handler for images when you first install it, and that it is likewise affected by the Settings->Preferences->Double-click->Files->Use internal picture viewer for: option.

I like being able to use viewer easily AND to be able open files in photoshop easily.
So i left viewer activated and made shortcut key to open files in pshop:

Customise > Keys > New; under FUNCTION paste directions to your own pshop prog as follows:

C:\Programme\Adobe\Photoshop\Photoshp.exe "%1"

"systemwide hotkey" is activated by default, best to deselect it.

Now when I press my "hotkey" O selected files are opened in pshop.

Thanks everyone, for those additional options! NAL

Hi,
I tried this shortcut key thingy, to open my images in Paint Shop Pro 8, using the hotkey P.

But when I do that, I get an error report, saying that Windows can' t find the program. In this error report, i see the path of Paintshop, followed by the path for the JPG I try to open. See attached file. Oh, the error message is in dutch, so only focus on the string part :wink:

Now if I edit the function for the hotkey and remove the "%1" string, only Paintshop starts, and it's not showing the selected file (or files). So, what's going on? any ideas?

Robert

Try putting quotes around the path to Paint Shop.

Thanks Jon, that does the trick!

However, when I select 3 files and press my new hotkey, I get 3 opened instances of Paintshop Pro. This is, ofcourse not what we want. With 20 files selected, I might run out of memory... :stuck_out_tongue:

Robert

Does the default 'open' behavior (or double click) of opening files in photoshop from explorer load a new window instance, or are subsequently opened files opened inside an existing window?

Maybe %1 is not the way to go...? Or maybe there are some other command line args to reuse an existing window.

thanks for you answer Steje.
Can anyone explain what the %1 means?

"%1" is a standard variable for command line processing and represents the first thing passed to a program (the selected file(s) passed to phooshop). This can be expressed in different ways when called from Opus though... but "what happens when you double click on multiple images in explorer"? Same photoshop instance or new window?

Spliney %1 represents a parameter, also called an external control code, or an argument. In simple terms it's the full file path/name(s) of whatever you have selected in Opus. When you have more than one file selected in Opus, and want to send those selected files to another program, Opus needs to know how to send those selected files to the other program. Basically it usually comes down to making a choice between two things.

1. To the program all at once in a block of file names.
  2. To the program one file name at a time, attempting to open the program a new time for each selected file name.

The latter is what's what %1 does and it's why you are seeing 3 instances of PaintShop opening. If you want to know more about this, I'd suggest you read the tutorial on External Control Codes in the tutorial section of this forum.

For now try changing the %1 parameter (external control code) to {F} and see what happens. It'll either open all the images in one instance of PaintShop or you're get an error. Again, if you get the error, it will be caused by the limitations of PaintShop not Opus.

When you use the {F} parameter all the files you have selected in Opus will be sent to the program in a block all at once. If this works bear in mind there is a limit to how many files can be selected and sent to an external program, when you exceed that limit you'll see an error.

In regards to the general discussion in this thread, FWIW I send my images to the Photoshop via a 3 button button on my Opus Quicklaunch toolbar. The button is configured so a left click on the Photoshop program only launches Photoshop program without any images being sent to it. Whereas a right or middle mouse click on the Photoshop icon will launch the Photoshop and open it with the images selected in Opus.

I downloaded the v10 (X) Paint Shop trial from Corel and can confirm that setting up a hotkey/button to run:

C:\PROGRA~1\Corel\CORELP~2\PAINTS~1.EXE "%1" opens each file in a separate instance...

C:\PROGRA~1\Corel\CORELP~2\PAINTS~1.EXE {F} works ok like John has suggested and only opens a single PSP instance... as does:

ContextMenu VERB open which hooks the 'open' dde message that PaintShop sets up for registered files.

Funny I'm having a problem with making an open-in-Freehand shortcut now.
Ive tried both variations suggested:

C:\Programme\Macromedia\FreeHand 9\FreeHand 9.exe "%1"
or
C:\Programme\Macromedia\FreeHand 9\FreeHand 9.exe {F}

get a message to say file (with programme path & file path) cant be found

When I try with quotation marks:

"C:\Programme\Macromedia\FreeHand 9\FreeHand 9.exe" "%1"
or
"C:\Programme\Macromedia\FreeHand 9\FreeHand 9.exe" {F}

the programme opens but file doesnt.

Any ideas on that one?
could it be the (Freehand) programme itself

Steje, I didnt understand the context menu bit: (is it another option i could try?)

only opens a single PSP instance... as does:
ContextMenu VERB open which hooks the 'open' dde message that PaintShop sets up for registered files.

thanks
tom

You will definitely need the quotes since the program has a space in its name.

If it doesn't work then it's porbably because Freehand doesn't accept filenames on the commandline, or if it does it needs some other arguments as well. You'd have to ask someone who knows about Freehand to find out.

Sometimes you can find out what you need to do by telling the program (Freehand, Photoshop, etc.) to associate itself with the filetype you're interested in, then have a look at what the Open action does on the filetype. You can often turn that into an Opus button and then restore the filetype so that double-clicking opens whatever program you usually want, and you've got your button for the rare cases where you want something different.

(Of course, most programs do work by just giving them the filename on their commandline, but not all do.)

To add to what Nudel is saying... there are a few ways to go about tracking down how you can invoke a particular application to 'send' a file to it... some apps use extension 'handlers' that you might be able to hook with a FileType CONTEXTMENU command. The ContextMenu VERB command approach I mentioned before assumes that you've already 'associated' the filetype in question with the application (Freehand) like nudel suggested. Doing so causes certain shell actions to be registered for the filetypes extensions (think of the open vs. play vs. enqueue options you get with alot of media players out there like Winamp). This can 'change' however if you install new applications that then regsiter a shell action with the same name as a previous application. Shell actions can be named just about anything, but common ones are open, edit, print, etc... basically; the options you see when you click RMB on a given filetype. If you want to find out what are valid shell actions you can invoke with the ContextMenu VERB command without digging through the registry you can either type the following command into an Opus CLI command field; or as I've done, add it to the Context Menu for 'All files and folders':

ContextMenu SHOWCMDS

If nothing else though, I still would have expected that the command using "%1" and the path to Freehand used with quotes should have worked for you. Weird... how do you normally open files in Freehand from Windows Explorer? Are there any file types that open in Freehand by default with a double-click? We can work from there to figure out what command you need to use from Opus...

Hi Steje

I somehow missed your last post there - not checking my mail properly!

Freehand files open on double-click in Opus. The reason I made the shortcut was- to open files that would normally open in other programmes, to make them open in Freehand.

I havent looked at it since then BUT just now I tried it again & theres a wizard starts with FH which I like cause you can open "Previous File".
So I disabled that and all is Klar ~ its working now :smiley:
Sometimes the old commonsense gets left behind :open_mouth:

I want to post about related problems with another Programme but not nuff time now. Thanks all for your help
tom

heres that other post:

I have a few shortcut buttons to open specific files with the one Programme (Evernote)

So I have:
"Programme path" "File1 path"
and
"Programme path" "File2 path"
etc.

but I'm having the same problem as spliney above - that the programme is opening a new instance for each file which i dont want. (Actually, when I close them down they remain showing - one icon for each instance - in the taskbar down there by the Time which means they didnt really close down. Thats must be an evernote thing cause it normally only uses one window.)

I tried putting file path in brackets & sticking {F} in there as well & close (in various positions ... ), but no success there.
Also tried variations on the external command {apppath} without success (also without having a clue what i was doing ..)
I notice the file opens if i just put in the file path.

Is there away round this? Can I send a message to Evernote to close first and then open specific file ?
Maybe it isnt possible with Evernote but would be a nice one to know (in theory like!)
thanks in advance
tom

How you stop (and whether you can stop) a new instance of a program opening for each file depends on the program.

Sometimes it's an extra command-line argument that says "don't open a new instance".

Sometimes there's a separate program for sending new files to an existing instance.

Sometimes you have to use a DDE message (which Opus can send and uses for some filetypes).

Sometimes you have to use VBScript.

Sometimes you can't do it.

I'd try running Evernote with just "/?" as the argument to see if it gives you and command-line help. Failing that, see if there's a section on its command-line in its documentation/help-file. Failing that, check the filetypes (if any) that it generates itself to see if they use a DDE message you can copy. And failing all of that, mail the people who make the program and ask them if there is a way.

Thanks Nudel

that will keep me busy for a while !
will let you know if i have any success