Is per-column column width sizing available somewhere in Preferences?

By default, when in list view, the columns are all as wide as required by the longest file or folder name present in the folder. Therefor, the information density is much lower than it could be if the column widths were sized per column. Is there a way to change that? Compare %windir%\System32 opened in Opus and in Windows Explorer and note the much greater information density displayed in Explorer.

It's done through the folder formats.

Here's a video all about it:

I can set the column with to a fixed width, say 125, and get even more density that the Explorer view, which is good because I'm hardly ever concerned with the files that have realy long names. I don't see a way to get per-column auto-sizing as in Explorer, though, and I do think that should be the default for list view, for that way I probably would never tinker with the column size in list view. Using the product is good, tinkering with the product is bad. So, I'll enter that as a suggestion here: Per-column auto-sizing for list view, as the out-of-the-box default.

Sorry, I missed the "list view" part.

We don't support that currently. List view is not really our focus, to be honest.

[quote="leo"]Sorry, I missed the "list view" part.

We don't support that currently. List view is not really our focus, to be honest.[/quote]

It's not a big deal since one can specify a fixed column width, and as I noted, fixed-width is actually better for a folder like Windows\System32.

I use list view primarily and have a button for detail view for when I need it. I don't want to waste space with the extraneous information. That keeps my listers as compact as possible. List view, sort by type--IMO, the way to go.

I'm changing my previous thought on per-column auto-sizing of list views: I think, now, that it is a compelling feature and am requesting that as a future feature of Directory Opus. I think it is compelling because it affects every list view. Without it, listers are not as compact as they could be, and screen real estate is always an issue. Without it, the user spends unnecessary time tinkering with the view (resizing, scrolling, etc.). I also think that list view, sorted by type should be the default lister out-of-the-box view.

Please link your account to request features.

But also remember List mode is not our main focus as it is not one of the display modes we think people should be using to get the most out of Opus.

Did it.

Don't you think the task at hand determines the best display mode? Personally, I use it way more than any other mode (be it Opus, Explorer, or other). The mode I never use is large icons. I'm now curious to know what display modes are more of a development focus and why.

Yes, I often use Thumbnails or Details+Thumbnails modes instead of Details mode.

Power and Tiles modes also have their uses.

I never run into a situation where the pros and cons of List mode beat those of another mode. Same with Large Icons and Small Icons.

I doubt either of us will convince the other to change their minds, so let's not argue about it.

Yes, I often use Thumbnails or Details+Thumbnails modes instead of Details mode.

Power and Tiles modes also have their uses.

I never run into a situation where the pros and cons of List mode beat those of another mode. Same with Large Icons and Small Icons.

I doubt either of us will convince the other to change their minds, so let's not argue about it.[/quote]

I wasn't trying to change your personal preferences, I was just noting that list mode is not only useful, but that some people find it the most useful display mode. If its worthy of being in the product, its worthy of being the best it can be, but at its current level of development, its a step down from Explorer's list view (not that I'd use Explorer in place of Opus just for its thoughtful implementation of list view). If Opus didn't have list view, I wouldn't buy it--it would then be useless for me.

The display mode is personal preference, no doubt varies from person to person. There is only one change to list mode that I can think of (at the moment) that would improve it. That would be the feature that TechTony is requesting. List mode is useful when you want to see more items visible in the lister at once. Especially if you don't need the other info/columns provided in details mode (depends on the folder you're viewing and its content). But if you do need that extra information here and there that is what the tooltips are for. Adding this feature would allow you to see even more.

I would also like to see this feature added.

Can't resist mentioning that DO12 added the icon mode (and list mode) column header for sorting.

Just because one uses/prefers details mode (or something other than list mode) doesn't mean everyone else does.

As I said earlier, this would pontentially be the last improvement list mode needs, then you'd be done with it.

At work, I have so many classes and students I work on, List view is essential because I get tired of scrolling up and down a lot. It makes no sense to put it in a one-file-per-row mode where I would have to scroll a decent amount down to get to a folder or file knowing that if I have it in List view, I can move my mouse a very short distance and select/double-click the class or student I need right there.

Not trying to change your method, just making you aware of another user that uses List view. My apologies if I'm using a view mode that prevents me from getting "the most out of Opus." My intention is to be efficient. Scrolling to find my target is not efficient.