Keyboard shortcut issue

Hello, I'll try to explain this as clearly as possible...

I've created some keyboard short cuts to open specific folders. However, about 50% of the times I use the shortcut, the Dopus window opens with the "File" menu selected. The problem with this, is that I cannot start typing on the keyboard, to rapidly select a subfolder inside the lister. When I start typing, the selection goes on the top menu.

That would happen if you pushed and released Alt on its own. Are you doing that sometimes by mistake?

What hotkeys have you setup? How have you made them? (There's a bunch of different ways to create a hotkey which opens a folder.)

Thanks leo. Right-click>Customize>Keys>New Hotkey. All of my shortcuts are ALT+ ... so I guess that's the problem. I'll need to replace the Alt key.

Replacing Alt proved harder than I thought, since the Ctrl key is widely used in many applications. :slight_smile:
Maybe I'll try the Win key... although an option to disable the menu selection when Alt is pressed would be ideal!

Do you need the hotkeys you're creating to be system-wide?

If you only want to use them in Opus, make sure the system-wide checkbox is cleared so that they only work when Opus is active.

Thanks leo, yes I prefer them system-wide. I think the best bet is the Win key, I'll just avoid the keys Windows uses for its in-built short cuts.

[quote="AmigaOpus"]Hello, I'll try to explain this as clearly as possible...

I've created some keyboard short cuts to open specific folders. However, about 50% of the times I use the shortcut, the Dopus window opens with the "File" menu selected. The problem with this, is that I cannot start typing on the keyboard, to rapidly select a subfolder inside the lister. When I start typing, the selection goes on the top menu.[/quote]

I had some post addressing that issue:

[url]Feature request: timeout for "Alt"-highlighting]

Maybe the timeout thing isn´t easy to implement. Otherwise it could solve that problem (maybe 10 seconds would be enough. If no menu action is done, Alt would unlight & the focus
is given back to the lister.)

Why would you want to wait 10 seconds instead of just hitting Esc? :slight_smile:

If i am aware of that, no problem. But sometimes you aren´t aware of it, that Alt has been pressed (although it´s visible, but you didn´t activate it on purpose, so you don´t reckon with that.) I use maybe 200 shortcuts (not Opus only, but also web browser & other programs), so many hotkeys naturally involve Ctrl, Alt, Shift, AltGr & so on, which makes it a problem avoiding to use the Alt-key in dozens of often used variation. It mostly happens when pressing keys in a »bouncing« way (task change, etc.).

Makes sense.

Doesn't the same thing happen with most other programs, though?

...Hmm, Opus seems to be unusual in that it keeps the menu active even if you give focus to another program and then come back to Opus. Is that what's really causing the problem?

[quote="leo"]Makes sense.
Doesn't the same thing happen with most other programs, though?[/quote]

No, because most programs are used quite shortly (like MP3Tag, Irfanview, Wordpad, ProcessExplorer & so on), where you use it in a compact way,
while two programs run & are used all the time, that´s Opus & the web browser, Opera, that also offers good keyboard support. So they are both
»prone« to catch an unjustified Alt press (Opera opens it´s main menu then, by the way).

Maybe in some cases. Sometimes it´s only some unclean key press or let go, i would say. Interesting, i didn´t think about that, but the state keeps maintained after a task change.