Label Preferences Across Devices

Hello,

I was wondering, is there is a way to transfer Label Preferences from one device to another, without having to create labels on each device?

You can use Settings > Backup & Restore to transfer the whole config across devices, or copy individual config files if you only want to copy/overwrite certain things (like label definitions).

Ok. I'll try the Backup & Restore. How would I copy individual config files?

See the How to backup or locate your Opus configuration (Simple) FAQ for how to locate the config folders.

/dopusdata\ConfigFiles\colorgroups.oxc is the one containing label definitions. (As in "Red means turn the text color red", not as in which files/folders the red label applies to.)

1 Like

Hey Leo,

So I tried these instructions to move my label preferences from my Desktop (which I use most often) to my Laptop. However when I restored the Back Up File on my Laptop, the label preferences did update as well as the theme. But for the labels it was only the label text and groups that transferred correctly. The colors and icons I had assigned to the labels on my Desktop did not transition. A few did have colors assigned but they were incorrect.

I am running the same versions of Opus and Windows 11 on both my desktop and laptop.

With that said, I'm wondering if I did something incorrectly or missed a step. Your thoughts?

Label assignments are usually stored in the filesystem, not the Opus config.

If your machine can see both the old and new drives, you can use something like this to copy the labels across from the old drive to the new one:

Oh wow. Yeah I'm definitely a novice because all of that went right over my head. Is there anyway you can provide the steps I need to take to enable what looks macro script? I don't use collections and I'm not sure what flatview is. I use Onedrive which holds all my files and is linked to both of my machines.

OneDrive won't sync labels, since OneDrive doesn't support NTFS metadata.

You'd need access to the old and new drives themselves (either plugged into the same machine, or via a network drive).

(Or something could be run on the old drive and make a list of the labels, which something else then uses to apply the same labels on the new drive.)

There isn't really a non-technical way to do this, though. How many labels do you have to copy over? It may be easier to set them manually.

Ok. In response to your question, I have 24 labels I copied over. As I mentioned the label text and label groups I created DID transfer. But the other formatting (i.e. assigned colors, icons, bold text and underlining) did not transfer over.

I have updated the script to optionally copy all labels.

Will it work with Onedrive?

No, OneDrive (like all cloud storage) will still ignore all labels.

Ok. Thank you!