Missing overlay icons for cloud storage

Yesterday I installed Directory Opus 12.21 on a Windows 10 system. It works like a charm with VS2019 TFS overlay Icons. But I'm also using cloud storage and I found the overlay icons not being displayed in Directory Opus. In Windows Explorer all overlay icons are displayed as intended.
Below is a side by side screenshot of Explorer with overlay icons and Directory Opus without overlay icons:

Searching for info about the issue I found same behaviour being reported for older DO versions. Perhaps I oversee something but I'm still looking for any solution...

Do you see the icons in any non-Microsoft/Windows software, e.g. in the File Open dialogs?

e.g. Try a third party text editor (not Notepad) and the File Open dialog in that.

Microsoft have blocked the ability for processes to get cloud storage status via their newer APIs by default, which has affected Opus. We're working on a solution to that, hopefully for 12.21.1, but it's not ready just yet. Whether it will solve the issue for TFS, I'm not sure, as it depends how TFS works behind the scenes, but if it is like OneDrive then it should.

It's also possible that you're running into the overlay icon limit, depending on how TFS does those overlays. There only 15 overlay slots using the old system, and the OS itself uses almost all of them. It's then luck which ones get loaded first within any given process.

Yes, you're right: Using File Open Dialog within Emeditor I also didn't see any overlay icon, So it's the same behaviour.

Testing File Open Dialog within O365 Word I found the overlay icons also missing.

It seems the only software displaying cloud overlay icons is Windows Explorer...

Perhabs I expressed myself misleadingly: TFS overlay icons worked liked a charm inside DO 12.21!

It would be very helpful if you'll find a solution for displaying cloud overlay icons in DO like Windows Explorer. But even without this feature I think Directory Opus is a great tool for my daily work!

The next beta version we release will have a change which hopefully addresses this; please give it a try once it's released and let us know if it helped.

The new beta is out if you want to give this a try.

Windows11,Opus12.31 The problem persists. I haven't found any other solution on the web, and with many cloud stores now offering on-demand synchronization, this feature is especially important.

Are you also not seeing it in other programs? See above for how to test it, if you haven't already.

It is displayed normally in the Explorer that comes with Windows and is also included in the file window. But in Opus, it doesn't show up. The overlays icon of Cloud Storage (Drive of Synology) is not displayed at all, and the overlays icon of SVN can be displayed only at the top level of SVN.

Please try with some third-party software. See the posts above for details. Windows was blocking accurate retrieval of cloud status from software that doesn't live in the C:\Windows or System32 directories, so the issue you're seeing may still be that.

The SVN issue may be different. Did you test that in other software?

If you're using TortoiseSVN, turning on Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Show TortoiseSVN status icons in the Status column, and turning on the General > Status Icons column in the SVN folders, can work better than using overlays, as Windows imposes a limit of only 15 overlays loaded into each process, with most of them already being used by the OS itself.

Well, I tried XYplorer and I couldn't show the cloud storage overlays icon either. svn has solved the problem by the way you said, thanks a lot.

Hello Leo, hello liangdy,
I'm sorry to say that the problem has been persistent for years.
Originally, GPSoftware stated that the problem is caused by Microsoft itself and cannot be solved at all.
The best way to check if overlay icons can be displayed on a system or not was the idea to check the behavior in your system in the standard Open file box or Save file box of any application other than Opus: If the overlay icons are present, Opus should display the icons as well. If the overlay icons are also missing, Opus won't be able to display anything either.
When it comes to displaying overlay icons, I rely on the display in Windows Explorer, it does this fantastically...
When it comes to working with the files I rely on Opus, they do a fantastic job too.
And somehow I gave up hope that the two would ever get together...
Apparently I have to live with the fact that the old adage applies: where there is a lot of light, there is also a lot of shadow...

We assumed since you hadn't replied for three years that the problem was resolved.

1 Like

Oh, sorry for that!
I just gave up after a few tries and made friends with an apparently unchangeable situation...
Opus Directory offers me so many advantages in my daily work that the problem with the overlay icons doesn't matter that much.
Of course it would be great if it worked one day and I'm looking forward to every new program version. After seeing about 20 years of my working life ahead of me, I'm looking positively into the future.
I will stay prepared...