More destinations in Copy function

I have request. I finish that my script copying selected files to multiple destination. Script working basically ok for now and everything is like I initially wants. This is one method - when I copy files to few destinations one by one. And it's work. But I want also made the same operation simultaneously - for example I read file from one HDD and want to write the same file to 2 or 3 other drives at the same time. All these drives can write at maximum speed the same time, but problem is read file. In copy function - I can add multiple sources, but not multiple destinations after "TO" parameter. And if I run file asynchronously Opus trying to read the same file twice in the same time and write it to two destinations, which makes huge impact of read speed. Adding more destinations to "TO" parameter, can help with read source file once and write it to more destinastions at the same time with maximum speed (if drives are separate HDDs). Is this possible to made in Opus in some future? Making backups to more than one HDD at the same time will be huge improvement. Of course I understand that everything will be as slow as slowest HDD in that scenario, but still will be much faster than made the same operation one drive after another (the same files will be read twice or more).

After some time spent browsing google, I think it can be nice feature in DOpus. People asking about that type of copying and there is not so many options for parallel write. I don't find any solution so far.

Or perhaps, if no one replied from Opus programmers if it's possible to do in some future, someone from community recommend me a tool that can do that type of operation (single read from source, parallel writes to multiple destination drives)?

Single read, multiple write copy operations are an interesting idea but probably too niche and requiring too much change to critical code for us to implement, at least in the near future.

So is not that simply as adding more destinations in Copy parameter? Any tool that can be used in DO which can do operations like this one?

Maybe this is what Opus can do first of all filemanagers? :slight_smile: I think options that are unique are the best way to make programs more popular. And they can be great argument for using this software. :slight_smile: Of course somewhere in the future, it's not very important option, but may be useful. For now I have this script that can copy from one source to many destinations, but not save too much time in fact, because the main reason was not only make process easier but also speed up.

I can't remember copying same file to more than one destination in my life, except when cloning drives (but therefore I use a copystation, which DO isn't). Even backuping software (which IMO is the main intention when copying files to more than one dest) normally doesn't offer such an option.

An unique option doesn't make sense if only 5% or less will use it, especially when it's not easy to implement.

It's not really important that you don't need this function. DO is not FreeCommander or other simply tool, it's complex tool for people who wants something more than standard functions. And you can say "5% of users" about half of options in DO in fact.

Unique rare options is what makes any program different (and better) than others. Filemanager with the same popular options as other filemanagers is waste of money (if cost more).

Please, don't discourage programmers by saying that something is waste of time because YOU don't use some option. I have few programs that only 0.1% percent of people use (or less). Authors of this programs probably never made them with that attitude.

And please don't tell us it makes sense because YOU use it. 5% was much too high, in fact nobody else asked for such a fetaure all the years here, so it's one and that's less than all other features used by a few users.

Sorry, that's my opinion.

That's right, it's your opinion. I hope it's only yours and some day it will be nice new feature. :slight_smile:
I write my point of view.

Hmm, i can think of scenarios, where it would make sense. Like making backups to different locations or drives on a regular base. Then again, we already can easily make buttons for that, if it's always the same destination folders.

The second part of your statement sounds quite valid. However, Opus is that great, because it has plenty of special features for very special use cases, even if only 2% of the users use them, which makes it so strong among file managers. I am aware of dozens of great features in DO, which i still don't use, because i have other ways to achieve things. On the other hand, i have started to use functions, which i didn't use earlier. :slight_smile:

That's what I said! But DO isn't a backup-tool (for safe copies it also doesn't make sense to read only once from source and copy to x backup-locations).

I don't even know any tool that copies to different locations at the same time.

That's why it's interesting, isn't?

And btw. you can find some, but not so good (or on linux, or expensive).

If you'll work in place where you must write lot of files to few external/internal HDDs (not HDD backups, just files) or just want to copy stuff to few your friends, it will be nice feature, right?

I asked for this option not without reason.

No, most people wouldn't use it (I really think that it would already exist somewhere or that things, which doesn't exixts, doesn't mean, that we need them).

As said, for backup I don't use DO. BTW backup normally run in background and I want different and safe copies, not x bad copies because the multicopy-source had an error.

I don't copy files to friends, because the "interesting" files are private or are not allowed to be copied!. And the "good old copysessions" are over since Amiga. Even if I would copy files for them... the longer it takes, the more we can drink!

Or just tell your friends not to visit you at the same time, problem solved!

That was just examples. And still I can't understand your "good copy vs bad copy" idea. It's not Atari XL tapes era! You said the same nonsense in "copy speed problem" thread. And you said the same "I have no problem" authoritative statements. You was so damn sure that problem is in my system, not in Opus, isn't? Now you're so sure that nobody will use parallel copy. And still think that its some kind of "unsafe" while writing to few drives at the same time. Do you even once have situation when copying file was unsafe or bad because of bad writing method? Something like "my Word writes wrose looking bytes than OpenOffice"? Sorry, but that has no sense to me.

Sorry, but it's really annoying. I wrote about copy speed problem in my thread, you start write your comments like "do not fix anything, everything is ok". Now I start new thread and you write "do not made that, I don't need it". Is it really necessary? Do I enter your threads and write something like that?

We've said it before and we'll say it again, please argue in the coffeeshop.

Hi
I do need a Multicopy-Option. As a teacher, we are using OneDrive4Business and I share one folder with every class. In this folders there is allways the same subfolder-structure. And when I wanna send a file to every class, it is annoying to copy-click-trough-to destination-folder-paste-repeat. And this many times.
Im quite sure that many people can use this feature (Business-Matrix-Organisation to destribute core-files to any departement for ex.)
How can I do this in less time?

You should be able to make a button which does that fairly easily.

e.g. This will copy the selected file to each of the listed destination folders:

Copy TO "D:\Temp\Class 1" Copy TO "D:\Temp\Class 2" Copy TO "D:\Temp\Class 3"

More complex things are also possible. If you need something different, please give some examples of the exact things you want to do and we can tell you how to do them.

Thank you for your answer. This helps allready for my first needs.
To have a more flexible System it would be helpful to mark in the right panel all the folders as target and then in the left panel the file I wanna copy. With an option/button "copy to all marked folders" I could save so much time!

One small additional info to that "funny" comment about "good old copysessions" - if I work with few people on some big projects and all of them wants to have copy of files after, it's not "good old copysession" but just "standard, work session" - parallel writing will save lot of time. One-by-one takes lot longer (because of multiple reads and separate writes). I'm glad that someone have the same needs.