Multiline comments? Or increase the width of comment textfield

Just started to use Directory Opus.

As I understand, the user could add arbitrary comments to any file and folder. This is actually called "Description" and could be added via menu: click Properties and then Description. Or simply press Ctrl-P.

However, adding and editing comments is not really convenient for me. First of all, I am wondering about the option to use multi-line, instead of single-line comments. XYplorer can do it:

xy

Well, probably it's not possible out of the box, but probably there exists a script for it?

Secondly. Well, let's assume that we cannot use multiline comments and we cannot create custom comment editor via a script. But probably there exists a way to increase the width of single-line text field?

dopus

As you see, only 50 characters. Probably it's less-or-more okay for English. But in some languages we have very long words! German. And not only.

Is there a way to fix these issues?

dopus2

You could do it using a script, but comments are often shown in file display columns so really wide or multi-line ones might not make sense.

What are you using the comments for? Where will they be displayed? (In the same box you want to edit them in?) There might be a better way to store and view larger amounts of data against a file.

What are you using the comments for? Where will they be displayed?

I use comments (descriptions) as desciptions :wink: For example, the filename itself will be: File Managers.docx. And the comment will be: The list of most useful ones and the list of most important features. It helps me keep filenames itself short.

Yes, this comment is too long to be displayed entirely in details view and it will be abridged. But it's not problem for me: if I need to read it entirely, I will open the corresponding window (as was shown for XYplorer).

Sometimes I could prefer to add some additional info to comment and in this case it could be useful to have multiple lines.

Yes, I know, the large amounts of text could be stored in manually created README files inside folders and it could be a workaround. But multi-line comments are better when I need only 2-3 sentences in description.

So, you mean that it is possible to create a multi-line editor for comments?

1 Like

Yes, you could do that using a script, if you know VBScript or JScript (Javascript, more or less).

1 Like

Yes, you could do that using a script, if you know VBScript or JScript (Javascript, more or less).

If so, it is amazing :grin:

@auden has made something here which may already be what you want, at lest for images:

Possibly a newer version of it shown here:

@auden has made something here which may already be what you want, at lest for images

Possibly a newer version of it

I definitely should test it. Thanks )

I've been futzing around with the @auden button trying to strip it back to just description/caption, subject, title, and keywords/tags – and maybe comment will get added if I get a handle on this enough to pull that off. Keep running into snags with stuff but some progress has been made in guesswork. ; }