New Docs/ActiveX plugin

Sounds like there are some general resizing problems with Office 2000. Do you know if the problem was there with the old version of the plugin?

I don't have a copy of Office 2000 to test against at the moment.

I can't fix that since Outlook doesn't have a viewer that I know of, unless you're on Vista where you get Preview Handlers for .msg and .eml.

No problem with last version. No toolbar are displayed.

Ok

not last version but old version :unamused:

Leo, I too have O2K and confirm the viewer-resizing bug. V2 of the viewer plugin works/worked fine.

Ok nudel, I have finally tried it with the old plugin you posted. The resizing of Office 2000 files works fine with this version.

So how do I get toolbars to show up? I want to check if I get the same as AlbatorIV (lol I mistyped that as Abbatoir first time around :stuck_out_tongue: ) but I can't find a way to get a toolbar ....

Toolbars aren't meant to show up, that's a bug. :slight_smile:

I could enable toolbars really easily but it's only supposed to be a viewer, not an editor. Also because, to work around the problem of Office locking the files and not letting you double-click them, it usually views a temporary copy that gets deleted when you close the viewer so any edits people make will be lost.

That would make it a misfeature :smiley:

Version 3.0.0.2 can be downloaded now.

Here is the installer:
setup_dopus9_32bit_activex_3_0_0_2.exe

Here are the DLLs in a zip file if you want/need to install them by hand:
dopus9_32bit_activex_3_0_0_2.zip

See this post for the list of changes and updated list of known issues.

Please let me know if there are any remaining issues which are not in the list. If it's not fixed and not on the list then I may have overlooked it.

(I'm posting a lot of this in two places so that keen people can keep track of updates in this messy/chatty thread while more casual people can read a clean summary of everything in the plugin's thread.)

(mousewheel work for me)
i have similar behaviour but with cursor key (up/down/left/right arrow).
if i give the focus to excel (viewer pane), then the file display, then back to excel, arrows don't work.
if i open excel file (select it and click show button), arrows don't work.

other thing... if excel file are display in viewer pane or standalone viewer, then put other window on top, then click on excel preview, the standalone viewer or Opus (if pane) remains in background (instead going on top).

I think I've found a solution to all the problems with Excel not taking the focus. I'll probably put out a new version of the plugin tomorrow once I have tested that my fix for Excel has not broken anything else.

I can't reproduce that, at least on my Vista + Office 2007 machine, so hopefully the fix for the focus stuff will also fix this. I'll test that some more tomorrow as well.

Hi nudel,

this is GREAT news, thanks very much for the new version of the plugin! This must be one of the most important parts of Dopus, at least for me anyway!

I've just installed the new ActiveX plugin, and only tested my most important file formats for the moment: with *.doc, *.pdf, and *.mht, everything is fine!

It even seems that I can use the Dopus preview pane (when a *.mht file is displayed) as a complete browser replacement by clicking on any links in the *.mht file, which is great as well. (Btw, how about integration of one of the 'Find As You Type' toolbars into the Internet Explorer part of the plugin? :sunglasses: see e.g FAYT for Internet Explorer or Quero......?)

Another great feature is the URL-support. It seems as if it were possible to do all sorts of crazy things using this feature, like having a personalized "start page" with links inside the Viewer Pane, or even show a directory of your choice in the viewer pane:

:smiley:
Do I have to uninstall or delete the old ActiveX plugin? It seems as if both the old and the new ActiveX plugins are listed in my viewers settings.

Anyway, how come that you get so many options in your configuration dialog:

whereas I seem to have only three lines of options:

Is this something Vista-specific (I use Windows XP)?

My last question (for the time being anyway:) If I try to preview an *.eml file created by Outlook Express or Thunderbird, every time when clicking on such a file in the lister, Outlook Express is started and the preview pane stays empty (the same happens if I drag an *.eml file over an Internet Explorer window! Internet Explorer used to be able to show *.eml files inline, just as the Dopus Preview Pane did.)

Thank you,
David.P

Yeah, although it's not ideal at the moment since there isn't a "back" button or location field. (You can go back via the right-click menu most of the time, of course.) I'd like to add a toolbar to the web browser eventually but it's a low priority for now as there's so much else to work on (and I really need a break from this ActiveX stuff!). :slight_smile:

Interesting. I don't know what the deal is with using IE extensions when IE is embedded into other apps but some kind of find-as-you-type (or generic ability to enable certain IE extensions) would be good, I agree. I've added it to the list of things to look at in the future.

The installer is supposed to overwrite the old one, but I just realised (after someone else messaged me) that it won't if you are using the German version, since the plugins are in a different location there. I'll fix the next version's installer, but for now if you have two copies of the plugin you should move the new one to the old one's location (overwriting the old docs.dll). Remember to move docsf.ocx as well.

The things at the top of my list are Preview Handlers, which are a new type of viewer used by Outlook 2007 and Vista's Explorer.

If you install Office 2007 you'll get Preview Handlers for the main Office file types. (MS still seem in denial about all the people who want to view Project files, which is a shame, but you get viewers for Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Visio.) Those work with both XP and Vista, as do some of the 3rd party Preview Handlers. The rest of the Preview Handlers in my screenshot came with Vista. There are some others out there which I haven't tried yet.

If IE can't view the files properly then the plugin probably won't be able to either, but you could try configuring the plugin and removing the .eml extension from the Internet Explorer section and adding it to the Generic ActiveX section below. It probably won't help, though.

As for why a particular ActiveX control has stopped working in both IE and Opus, it could be a lot of things and it's difficult to tell. It's probably down to some registry settings -- DLL registration, file types or MIME types -- being messed up by another program. Reinstalling the product that you think was providing the viewer should put things back to the way they should be, but it isn't always obvious which product was providing the viewer.

Updates to IE or the product that does the viewing can also break this stuff. For example, a long time ago you could simply navigate to an Office document in IE. Now you'll be prompted about opening or saving the file, as it was deemed a security risk to open random documents from the web. Even after the prompt, IE7 + Office2007 won't view documents in the browser at all and always open a new window.

Thanks Leo, for the fast reply.

You were right in that the *.eml file type association was broken -- probably due to Thunderbird or one of its extensions.

I found this page that saved me in this respect since it provides fixes to restore all sorts of file type settings in Windows.

There was one issue with the ActiveX plugin I came across in the meantime: After pre-viewing a mht or eml-file in the Dopus viewer pane, the ActiveX plugin seems to get stuck. The viewer pane would stay blank and not display any other file until Dopus is killed from the task manager and then re-started.

Thank you,
David.P

Makes sense. The ActiveX viewer may have been tied to the file type, and installing Thunderbird probably replaced the file type completely (and didn't install an ActiveX viewer of its own).

Handy. Thanks for sharing the link!

Which version of IE?

Does it happen if you view a simple MHT file (e.g. save this page from the forums to an MTH) and then close the viewer?

What if you have two copies of the same simple MHT file and switch between them? Sometimes the previous thing you viewed can make the next thing go wrong, so switching between two of the same type of object is a good way to test exactly what's failing.

I was just gonna say "IE7". However, looking at the program info window, it says "IE 7 version six point something" :open_mouth: :question: :open_mouth:

[quote="nudel"]Does it happen if you view a simple MHT file (e.g. save this page from the forums to an MTH) and then close the viewer?

What if you have two copies of the same simple MHT file and switch between them? [/quote]
The problem persists even if I have two copies of the same (very simple) MHT file. It's even the same if I use HTM files instead. The viewer pane stalls, but the rest of Dopus still keeps working just fine.

David.P

...well, it seems as if I had a strange mix of IE6 and IE7 on my system. Now that this has been fixed, the above issues have disappeared as well.

Thus, no problems anymore with the display of MHT, EML and HTM!

Thanks again,
David.P

....waaahh, the problem is back again!

The only difference is, after the viewer pane gets locked because of the display of an html-based file, it is sufficient to just close and re-open the lister. Dopus doesn't have to be killed via Task Manager.

(Actually, sometimes Dopus also locks completely instead....)

Help...!?

OK, it seems as if the problem (ActiveX Viewer not responding after previewing any HTM/MHT/EML file) is related to an incompatibility between the ActiveX Viewer and Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

If NaturallySpeaking is closed, the above problem does not occur.

It would be great if this problem could be tracked down and possibly removed in the final version of the ActiveX plugin.

Attached is a zipped Excel file (output of Process Explorer) that shows all processes and handles of dopus.exe. I hope that this information is helpful for finding the potentially problematic file or process.

Thanks already
David.P
Dopus.exe, DLL's and Handles from Process Explorer.zip (20.1 KB)

Hi DavidP, I'm finishing up the next version but once that's done and a couple more things are out of the way I'll send you (and Mr.Speed) a version with diagnostic output to try and gets some clues as to what's going wrong.

OK,
thanks --
David.