Okay, tried it. The New Folder / New Text Document is there, and it functions as expected. The New Folder / New > brings up the context menu, same as the context menu of the right click, missing the New Document.
So, I have a workaround. In the meantime I created a hotkey using the 'FileType NEW=.txt' command, which is also a workaround.
I'm still very interested in solving the context issue though. Worst case, other issues may surface that require workarounds. The context menu works within Explorer, so this appears to be an Opus issue. What else can I do to diagnose and fix it?
I did a little more testing. After doing an uninstall and rebooting, I've searched both the file system and registry for anything left behind. I searched for 'opus' and 'gpsoftware'. I then rebooted and reinstalled Opus. I've got 5 days left on the eval, so I was able to switch between Pro and Light. I also compared the results of the context menu with Explorer. Whatever is causing the context issue of New - Text Document not to show persists thru an uninstall. Explorer has one (1) entry that Opus does not. I even went and uninstalled Libre Office, just to see if the four context items for that would effect anything. The only thing I saw is that once uninstalled, Explorer dropped the context for Libre, but Opus did not. I then rebooted, and Opus then dropped the Libre items. Still, the New-Text Document missing on Opus.
It seems that this has possibly been an issue since reported in 2010, since I saw no resolution to it. If there is a test-version of Opus I could run to create a log, I'd be happy to do it.
Looking at the code again, I think I see what's probably causing the problem on one of your machines.
If there are two file types which both specify Content Type = text/plain, Opus will only add a New menu item for one of them.
So the .txt filetype is fine on your system, but one of the other filetypes will be conflicting with it.
It looks like Explorer doesn't have this check, so we'll probably remove it in the next update, unless we discover a reason to keep it before then.
Interestingly, removing this check results in two almost identical entries for Microsoft Access, in both Opus and Explorer. They actually do different things, as well, although you can only tell which is which by the slightly different icons.
Perhaps that kind of thing is why we have been filtering the list in Opus. But it probably does not make sense to filter it in that way if Explorer isn't doing the same thing, and if it's causing problems like the one you are seeing.
(It's also interesting that Explorer can't sort the menu properly -- one of the Access items is at the very top, and the Excel item is at the very bottom -- but that seems unrelated to the Microsoft Access oddity, and doesn't affect Opus.)