Output Window ( Print List Of Files )

Hi,

Trying to find more information how to use the Output Window better.
In Dopus menu at the top when we click help - view help a Windows Box opens up should this be the .pdf DOpus help file instead.

What we did a complete find of all our .pdf files using the find tool in Dopus then the source output window. So can we print the list of files names from here.

Cheers, :smiley:

You can use Tools --> Print Folder to print the find results.

When you click Help in Dopus, the default action is to display the Dopus help file, which is normally located at C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\Help\DOpus.chm. I couldn't help noticing that it does not appear to have been updated for some time.

Regards, AB

[quote="aussieboykie"]You can use Tools --> Print Folder to print the find results.[/quote] How does it know the find results in the output window and it didn't seem to work for us.

[quote="aussieboykie"]When you click Help in Dopus, the default action is to display the Dopus help file, which is normally located at C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\Help\DOpus.chm. I couldn't help noticing that it does not appear to have been updated for some time.[/quote] We have the same file in your screen shot but do recall when we click the [quote="Blade007"]help - view help[/quote] a pdf file use to open up.

Still like to know more information working with this Output Window.

Cheers,

Hi,

Why is the find tool cntrl F different to when selecting it in the menu in DOpus.

How is your Ctrl-F defined? Mine looks like this..

Regards, AB

You can edit your F1 key setting to open the Help pdf instead of the chm but they are effectively identical. If you want to try this, and assuming you have a pdf file association in place, then change F1 to point to where you saved the pdf - e.g. C:\MyDopusStuff\DOpus9ReferenceManual.pdf

Alternatively, you can navigate to http://www.gpsoft.com.au/manual9/NetHelp/default.htm to access the latest online manual.

Regards, AB

Hi,

Our Ctrl-F is left as default from DOpus ( Find ).

Still like to know why the pdf file isn't in the Help - then view help DOpus menu or is this our setup not seeing it.

So how do we print the find .pdf files that we did the search on results to the print folder and does the output folder support any printing.

Cheers,

What are you actually trying to accomplish here?

Does the "output window" support printing? Not that I know of... but again, I'm questioning what you're trying to accomplish because I can't tell from your posts whether or not you really "want" to use the output window for your find results or not, or that it seems to you that you "need" to find a way to print from it because your method of performing finds seem to be stuck to send the results to the output window.

You can change your find command for both the file menu and <Ctrl+F> to run whatever you want to 'force' the results to something other than the output window. Aussieboykie showed you want he's running - here's mine:

Delete NORECYCLE FORCE QUIET FILE "/dopuslocaldata\State Data\find.osd" Find COLLNAME "Find Results" SHOWRESULTS tab IN {s}
And for what it's worth, my file menu command IS in fact the ,Ctrl+F> hotkey... they're not TWO separate things with different command definitions... and I think that's the way Opus is set by default. By default, the Find dialog also remembers the last location you've specified to save the results, so I'm wondering what's your real issue there...

At any rate, even if you DESIRE to always save find results to the output window... from there, you can right click the output window background and select 'Save Results' from the context menu to then add all the resulting files to 'some' file collection. From the fie collection, you can then run the 'print folder' command to print out the list...

[quote="steje"]What are you actually trying to accomplish here?[/quote]What we would like to do is print once the search has finish finding the .pdf files we have a list of what files they are.

[quote="steje"]Does the "output window" support printing? Not that I know of... but again, I'm questioning what you're trying to accomplish because I can't tell from your posts whether or not you really "want" to use the output window for your find results or not, or that it seems to you that you "need" to find a way to print from it because your method of performing finds seem to be stuck to send the results to the output window.[/quote] We want to use the output window for the find results if it can't print what use is it to have the output window and more information what it does.

[quote="steje"]You can change your find command for both the file menu and <Ctrl+F> to run whatever you want to 'force' the results to something other than the output window. Aussieboykie showed you want he's running - here's mine:[/quote] Thank you for your input and codes.

[quote="steje"]And for what it's worth, my file menu command IS in fact the ,Ctrl+F> hotkey... they're not TWO separate things with different command definitions... and I think that's the way Opus is set by default. By default, the Find dialog also remembers the last location you've specified to save the results, so I'm wondering what's your real issue there...[/quote] Looking at my screen shot of the find window as the default from DOpu shouldn't they both be the same or are we missing somethin here as you can see they are different.

[quote="steje"]At any rate, even if you DESIRE to always save find results to the output window... from there, you can right click the output window background and select 'Save Results' from the context menu to then add all the resulting files to 'some' file collection. From the fie collection, you can then run the 'print folder' command to print out the list...[/quote] Thnx this worked like a treat.

BTW does your PDF manual appear whe you go to the DOpus menu - Help then scroll down to View Help shouldn't this ba a .pdf file from DOpus instead.

Thany you for your help...

Cheers, :smiley:

In a default configuration, there isn't any View Help in the Help menu.

The choices in the Help menu are:

Help F1
Keyboard Map ...
GP Software on the Web
License Manager ...
About Directory Opus

Help or F1 displays the internal help file.

You can download the PDF file and display it however you want including, I suppose, modifying the Help menu to display it, but I haven't tried. There is nothing, as far as I know, in Dopus to display the PDF file by default. The content of the PDF file and the displayed Help are supposed to be the same.

[quote="rcoleman1943"]In a default configuration, there isn't any View Help in the Help menu.[/quote] Have a look at this screen shot.

[quote="Blade007"]You can download the PDF file and display it however you want including, I suppose, modifying the Help menu to display it, but I haven't tried. There is nothing, as far as I know, in Dopus to display the PDF file by default. The content of the PDF file and the displayed Help are supposed to be the same.[/quote] We have downloded it but in the past we were able to get it straight from the menu in DOpus.

Cheers,

As Bob Coleman pointed out, the default Help menu does not include View Help (see screen cap below). You must have added this yourself at some point in the past. What command is associated with your View Help option?

Regards, AB

Hi,

Can't remember setting this up we are sure this came std from default with DOpus. Here is a pic of the command.

Cheers,

According to the help on Help - Raw Command, the command Help MANUAL should display the PDF version of the manual if it is found in the Directory Opus program directory. If it's not found, you are redirected to the GP Software web site from where you can download the PDF.

I tried copying DOpus9ReferenceManual.pdf to the C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus folder but I still get redirected to the web site. Presumably Help MANUAL is looking for a specific file name and it's not DOpus9ReferenceManual?

Regards, AB

Hey AB,

Thank you for your help.

Looks like since the last DOpus update this is happening. Anyone know what file name should be for the help file in the DOpus folder directory.

Still like to know more about what purpose the Output Window does.
It would be nice once the search is done using the Output Window that you could print off files names and details.

Cheers,

Why don't you just edit the menu item to launch the PDF file directly if that's what you want it to do?

I not sure why you want to use the Output Window so much, either. Just output the Find Results to a file collection and then use Print Folder from there. The Output Window is a leftover from Opus 6 and pretty much obsolete these days; I expect it will be removed entirely in Opus 10 and nothing forces you to use it in Opus 9.

As a reminder, Ask one question per thread. This thread was a mess from the first post. :slight_smile:

Hey Leo,

[quote="Blade007"]As a reminder, Ask one question per thread. This thread was a mess from the first post. :slight_smile:[/quote] Sorry about more than one question and the mess. :blush:

[quote="Blade007"]Why don't you just edit the menu item to launch the PDF file directly if that's what you want it to do?[/quote] Yes it looks like we will have to do that anyway but what has gone wrong with it in the first place.

[quote="Blade007"]I not sure why you want to use the Output Window so much, either. Just output the Find Results to a file collection and then use Print Folder from there. The Output Window is a leftover from Opus 6 and pretty much obsolete these days; I expect it will be removed entirely in Opus 10 and nothing forces you to use it in Opus 9.[/quote] Ok we are still very new to all of DOpus 9 we are trying get our heads around the tools it offers.

:question: Why are both find fields different anyway or is it just our setup. :confused:

BTW we don't have your capacity just yet. :sunglasses:

Cheers,

Nothing has gone wrong.

In the past (a few years ago), the help file only had a subset of what was in the full PDF file but these days the help file has the same content as the PDF file.

Since the help file is more suited to reading on screen than the PDF file (which, formatted for pieces of paper, is more suited to printing out), I think it makes sense that F1 (and the help menu) open the help file rather than the PDF, by default.

I think there may still be a way you to cause the default help menu to open the PDF, by copying the PDF to the Opus directory with a special filename, but I'm not sure what the name is or if that still works and it's just as easy to edit the help menu if you want to do that.

One menu item opens the standalone Find Window while the other opens the Find Panel in the current lister.

I only ever use the Find Panel myself.

I too am a fan of the PDF file. You can annotate, highlight and search outside DOpus. (So long as the PDF file has not lapsed back to being protected from user intrusion, as happened once by accident.)

To get the PDF file on to the Help menu, as Leo suggested, all you have to do is to edit, or create, an entry in the Help "drop down" menu.

Then just paste into the "Function" slot the filename and full path to the PDF file. ("Copy Filenames" "As Full Pathnames" in the default Edit menu.)

To make it even clearer what sits at the end of the menu entry, give it the icon from your PDF reader.

Click the "Images" left button, point it at the PDF reader's exe file and pick an icon.

Then when you click the menu entry in future up will pop the PDF file.

Copy and edit the next bit, then paste the result to where you want it.

<?xml version="1.0"?> Reference Manual DOpus9 Reference Manual C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe,0 C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\DOpus9ReferenceManual.pdf

I just copied and edited this from my own menu to reflect more common locations of the relevant files. (A real expert will tell you if it has any mistakes.)

You can add other thing in as Help menu entries to remember other useful stuff, such as:

gpsoft.com.au/manual9/NetHelp/default.htm

You can also drag the PDF file into the menu (while in Customize mode) to get a similar result.