Persistent Tab Group; Scrolling Acceleration

Hi Forum,

first of all thanks for the latest and greatest version 9 of Dopus. I'm afraid, I'll have no other choice than to be hooked on this software for the rest of my life... Although obviously I'll still have to miss "persistent custom file sort order" for a while, Dopus 9 is almost better than RL :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

One of the greatest little new features (that I had recently suggested of course :wink:) is "sort folders always alphabetically", since I usually have everything sorted "youngest topmost" and therefore it used to be difficult to find my way to the respective desired folder.

Well, only two little issues at the moment:

1.) It seems that I can't find a possibility to have my standard tab group opened at startup? At present, I have to open my tab group by hand every time Dopus is restarted.

2.) Is there a possibility to disable the new scrolling acceleration mechanism (which obviously is independent of the smooth scrolling setting)? My mouse software already uses strong acceleration which is why I end up with accelerationΒ² in Dopus (and only in Dopus). Therefore it can be hard to scroll to the desired position in a file lister because the scrolling is just too fast in Dopus.

Thanks already for help regarding the two issues,
David.P

There's just the options under Launching Opus - Startup to play with. You can't explicitly say "open a lister with this Tab Group" but you can save the Default Lister or a Layout with the Tab Group. Only problem is changes made to the Tab Group will need to be saved into the Default Lister or Layout each time.

If you never close your tabs then the option to open the same listers that were open before should get you what you want.

Type 'smooth' (or 'scroll') into the Preferences filter and it'll take you to the option.

Thanks Leo,

[quote="nudel"]There's just the options under Launching Opus - Startup to play with. You can't explicitly say "open a lister with this Tab Group" but you can save the Default Lister or a Layout with the Tab Group. Only problem is changes made to the Tab Group will need to be saved into the Default Lister or Layout each time.

If you never close your tabs then the option to open the same listers that were open before should get you what you want.
[/quote]
Thanks, I'll have to try these options -- however, both don't seem to work if I also kill the "Directory Opus Helper Application". I haven't tried a proper Windows restart however yet.

Sorry but no -- as I wrote, the acceleration is not related or dependent on smooth scrolling on or off. Maybe there is a setting somewhere in the Registry or in the new XML settings file (where is this file located btw.)?

Thank you,
David.P

Acceleration and smooth scrolling are the same thing as far as Opus is concerned, so as Leo says, this is the option that you want.

So don't kill it. :slight_smile:

Hi Jonathan, and thank you for the reply.

No matter if I turn smooth scrolling on or off, I get extreme acceleration when scrolling (most noticeable in thumbnails mode). Although acceleration even seems somewhat stronger when smooth scrolling is enabled, scrolling seems still much faster (than in in version 8) even when smooth scrolling is disabled.

Any more ideas how to slow down the scrolling speed and/or acceleration?

Thank you,
David.P

Well but a Windows restart also kills it -- or is a restart based on a somewhat more graceful mechanism that enables Dopus to save its last state?

I'll really have to do a restart to try it I guess :wink:

Thanks,
David.P

You mean dopusrt.exe isn't running when you restart windows? It should be, at least if you have Desktop Double-Click enabled in Preferences and haven't told Windows to block it running at startup (or set it to run as administrator which isn't needed and will cause Windows to block it from running at startup).

No, I meant to say that if you shutdown Windows, dopusrt.exe is terminated as well.

However this obviously happens 'gracefully' since actually I did restart and my persistent tab group was sure to come up again, getting started within the scope of a custom lister layout.

So this one is fixed :sunglasses:.

The scrolling is still incredibly fast, however for the time being I can live with it.

Thanks,
David.P

Yeah, that shutdown should be graceful. Windows gives apps a chance to exit before shutting down.

What mouse and mouse drivers are you using?

Well I was afraid of that question :wink:

I use a multitouch input device Γ  la The Matrix or Minority Report :sunglasses:

which is very good at extremely fast and still precise scrolling by putting like four fingers down and slide them up or down on the pad.

Therefore I might actually be the first to realize the changes in the Dopus' scrolling acceleration model...

The ultra-acceleration in Dopus however is not caused by this multi-touch pad since I have not changed anything with this pad's configuration for like months -- there is only the recent change from Dopus v8 to v9.

David.P