Problems with Colored Folders

I have 64-bit Windows 7 and DOpus 10. I keep having problems with colored folders. One of the main reasons I am interested in DOpus (trial version) is the ability to create colored folders for easy ID when I'm navigating my huge folder tree. But most of the time (intermittent problems are a bitch) it doesn't seem to like when I color the My Documents folder or a Shared Folder (on our network) that I created within My Documents. When the problem occurs I try to select the colored folder and the selection focus immediately retreats to the last selected folder before I tried to select the colored folder. This is especially problematic when I try to use colors on any of the folders (links?) under the My Documents folder in Libraries (apparently a new thing for Windows 7 Explorer). I have only tried DOpus since getting my new computer since my old File Manager (PowerDesk Pro) wouldn't work for Windows 7 and why I am testing DOpus for a possible replacement. Have you seen this problem before? Is there a patch?
Dave

Could you just clarify exactly what the problem is?

Are you talking about the My Music/Pictures/Videos links under the Documents library?
If so, these are permissioned (by Microsoft) specifically to deny access to the user - you're supposed to access them via their own libraries these days (the Music, PIctures and Videos libraries).

Opus does have a feature where it will normally let you access these sub-folder links, but it seems like that doesn't work in libraries - only if the folder is accessed through its disk path (C:\Users...). We'll fix that so it works with libraries as well in the next version.

Either way though, the folder coloring shouldn't make any difference - something you can easily test by temporarily removing the color.

The problem has nothing to do with the "My Music/Pictures/Videos links under the Documents library". The My Documents folder is a problem (both under the Documents library AND under the Users folder under Computer). There are problems with other folders under My Documents as well but I wonder if these aren't caused by the problem with having "colored" the My Docs folder. These colored folders will actually disappear (no longer colored) in the Tree pane but show up as colored in the File pane. The colors will appear and disappear and reappear at various times as well. But the biggest pain is when I cannot select the My Documents folder because of this problem. Sometimes I can't select the folder in the Library and sometimes I can't select the folder under Users. This is really difficult to explain because the problem is so intermittent and behavior changes. Currently I can select My Docs from the Library but not from the Users tree. All of the colored folders I have created under My Docs are currently not colored in either the Tree pane or the File pane. This is exasperating. Removing a color is not possible when you cannot select the folder. Usually the color is not being displayed when the problem is occurring - I just remember that it was colored. This is a bug, not something I'm imagining or doing wrong. Any help? Can someone duplicate this problem with the same operating system? I noticed that you have me as having the "Latest Beta" version of Opus - is v10 a Beta? Should I uninstall and try v9?
Dave

I still dont understand exactly what "the problem" is, I'm sorry, but I doubt it has anything to do with colors. Remove all your folder colors and see if "it" still happens. You can remove colors from the File & Folder Labels page in Preferences.

Are you always looking at the folders via the same part of the tree?

The user profile part of the tree (the branch near the top with your name) isn't exactly the same as the C:\Users<username>... part of the tree, even though they are usually very similar. The user profile is a virtual folder which may show folders from several different physical locations. On the other hand, C:\Users<username>... is a normal directory (where most of the folders shown in the user profile exist by default).

Do you see the same problem in Explorer?

Is your My Documents folder physically located in the default place (below C:\Users<username>...) or have you moved it to another drive/location?

Is that a colour/label you have applied yourself, or are you talking about System folders, which are coloured red by default in Opus?

We do? Where? That field is part of your user profile here at the forum and would only ever have been set by you, not by us, and right now it doesn't seem to be set to anything at all. (If it was set to something, it would appear under your name to the right of your post, like something similar appears under my name.)

Edit: It says "Directory Opus 10" for you now, so I guess you found how to edit it (or my mind is playing tricks on me :slight_smile:).

The latest version, 10.0.2.0, is not a beta.

Beta versions are optional and usually released between each stable release, to give people a chance to try new code early if they want to. You would only be running a beta version if you had explicitly chosen to download and install it. Beta versions are not pushed out via the auto-updater.

[ul][li] 10.0.0.0 stable[/li]
[li] 10.0.0.1 beta[/li]
[li] 10.0.0.2 beta[/li]
[li] 10.0.0.3 beta[/li]
[li] 10.0.1.0 stable[/li]
[li] 10.0.1.1 beta[/li]
[li] 10.0.1.2 beta[/li]
[li] 10.0.1.3 beta[/li]
[li] 10.0.1.4 beta[/li]
[li] 10.0.2.0 stable[/li][/ul]

(The list of versions isn't complete; it's just an example.)

Thanks Leo - I'll try to answer your questions one-by-one:

Dave: The colors will appear and disappear and reappear at various times as well.
Leo: Are you always looking at the folders via the same part of the tree?
Yes. I am aware and have referenced these two areas from which to view My Documents. Originally I was trying to color my folders from the Library section and ran into this problem right away. And when I say "this problem" here is what I mean. Once the folder has been colored, I cannot SELECT it - I place the mouse cursor over the folder and click - the Highlight (showing what is selected in the tree) jumps back to the last folder I successfully selected and the files in this folder are displayed in the File pane. This means I cannot view or have access to the colored folder now. Usually I can go to the other area (User section or Library section) and access the folder from there. If I create a colored folder in the Library section it does not show as colored in the User section and vice versa. Trying to color folders in the Library section is useless - it has the most problems. I managed to color a large number of folders in the User section one day and everything seemed to be working. Then I couldn't select My Documents again. Shortly after that all of the colored folders were now uncolored. Then I had to get some freakin' work done so I stopped paying attention. Then all of the colors went away. Now after a Restart (to install another program) all of the colors are back (User section) EXCEPT the My Documents folder which I can now select. I recolored this folder and now I cannot select the My Documents folder or any of its subfolders. I can however select My Documents from the Library section. Starting to get the idea of "the problem"?

Dave: But the biggest pain is when I cannot select the My Documents folder because of this problem.
Leo: Do you see the same problem in Explorer?
NO. I can select any folder or file in Windows Explorer even when I can't in Opus

Dave: Usually the color is not being displayed when the problem is occurring - I just remember that it was colored.
Leo: Is that a colour/label you have applied yourself, or are you talking about System folders, which are coloured red by default in Opus?
I'm speaking only about folders that I have colored personally. Sometimes the folder color went away but still exhibits the problem (of not being selectable).

Dave: I noticed that you have me as having the "Latest Beta" version of Opus
Leo: We do? Where? That field is part of your user profile here at the forum and would only ever have been set by you, not by us, and right now it doesn't seem to be set to anything at all. (If it was set to something, it would appear under your name to the right of your post, like something similar appears under my name.)
You're right. I was looking at the profile info next to Jon. I have version 10.0.2.0.4269.x64

This is definitely a bug and is not going to go away because of anything we can do. Should I try version 9? Will this work with Windows 7 on a 64-bit system?

Thanks Leo,
Dave

FYI: The problem is definitely limited to the My Documents portion of the computer. Any folders that I have colored outside of My Docs are still colored and I've never had any problem selecting them.
Dave

As I've said a few times now, the colors can not possibly have anything to do with whatever problem you're having...

Okay, I've done some more experiments using Jon's tip about how to remove colors via the Preferences menu (since I was unable to Select the folders in the Tree). I have narrowed the problem down.

Viewing My Documents from the User Folder under C:/Users/Dave/My Documents:
Starting with no colored folders I can select any folder. Then if I apply a color to the My Documents folder, I can no longer Select the folder (as I've said before, by this I mean that when I click on My Documents to Select it the Highlighted spot jumps back to the last folder I selected and therefore denies me the ability to view the My Documents folder). Then, I go into Settings/Preferences/ File & Folder Labels, and delete the color for My Documents. This alone does not solve the problem - I still cannot select My Documents folder. But if I close Opus and reopen, now I am once again able to select and view My Documents.

Viewing My Documents from the Libraries/Documents/My Documents
The problem manifests itself completely differently from this folder. Starting with no colors again (and no problems selecting any folders in or under My Documents). I select a color for the My Documents folder. No color is displayed on the screen for the folder but the color is listed under Settings/Preferences/File & Folder Labels. I can select the My Documents folder with no problem but again, the folder is not colored on the screen. Okay, clear the color under Preferences, restart Opus. Now I color a subfolder under My Documents. The color shows on this subfolder but now I cannot select the colored subfolder. Remove the color using Preferences and the color goes away but I still cannot select the subfolder, until I restart Opus and then everything is normal again.

Now Jon, how is my problem NOT related to coloring folders? While the color itself may not be causing the problem, coloring the folder MUST cause something else to happen that CAN cause the problem. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Opus application - no change. All right guys, I'm done with Beta testing. What do I do now? I've got 17 days left on my evaluation period - it's not going well. I mean I love the product but like I said, coloring folders is a necessity. Any suggestions?

Dave

I just tried reproducing this problem and I can't get it to do whats happening to you.

Can you maybe do some screenshots?

Do you have another computer you could test Opus on?

Screen shots won't show the problem - I would need a "movie" to show how the "cursor highlight" jumps away from the selected colored folder.
Sorry, I only have the one Windows 7 64-bit computer.
Thanks for trying.
Dave

I was thinking more of a screenshot of your settings.

I was going to suggest a movie for the actual problem but most people don't have a screen recorder.

Here is perhaps another clue. There is another odd behavior in Opus I have observed. When I go to the Folder named Favorites and Recent, there is a Favorites folder. In this folder were several folders that I figured out were created by the default Smart Favorites setting. If I clicked on any of these folders I would get an error message "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (lib) isn't associated with any program.". If I manually add a Favorite folder through the Preferences menu it works fine. Don't confuse this Favorites folder with the other Favorites folder elsewhere on the Tree that is for Browser Bookmarks - this folder has been populated with my current browser bookmarks and works fine.

Is it possible that there is a missing link or folder association that is causing both of these problems? Note also that when I assign a color to a folder under C:\Users\Dave\My Documents that this color doesn't not show in the folder when viewed from Libraries\Documents\My Documents. Is it supposed to? That would be what I would expect but perhaps the same "link" problem is preventing this. More clues. Gentlemen (Leo, Jon), please comment.

Dave

@ktbcrash
Which settings would you like to see? The tiny, unexpandable window will only display a fraction of the settings on any given screen shot. It's annoying when the programmers render our big screen monitors useless by forcing us to peer through a tiny window; especially when the info is super-long path addresses that are wider than the columns (which is not the case here ... jus' sayin').

I was thinking like the one below, just to see how you have the info entered. But IDK, Jon and Leo know more about this than I do, they programmed it :slight_smile: I'd have to agree though that colors shouldn't be causing the problem you are having. But it's weird that turning them off, fixes it.

IDK! I'll just wait over here and see how this plays out :wink:

I think I have reproduced the problem now, or something similar. It only seems to affect the folder tree, FWIW.

We'll look into it further...

Thanks Leo. Let me know if you need me to perform any experiments that might help your troubleshooting.
Dave

Thanks!

There should be a new beta version in the next week or so with a fix for this. Give it a try when it comes out and let us know if you still have any problems.

(Info on beta versions.)

How will I know when the new Beta is available? Are you going to notify me or is there a particular Beta version I should look for?
Dave

See "How to know when new beta updates are released" in the page I linked in my last reply.

It will be in the next beta that gets released. (That will probably be called version 10.0.2.1, unless something unexpected happens to the version number.)