Rating images works but unselects >1MB files

I've followed this thread to make a rating toolbar for images (or mp3, or whatever filetype you want). [url]DOpus 10 - Useable as Media Organizer?]

The code in each button is like this (changing from 0 to 5 according to the corresponding rating value)

SetAttr META=rating:0
@nodeselect 

I've found a strange behaviour, If you select some image files and press a button with, let's say, rating:5 then all the selected files get a 5 star rating but after that, the files larger than 1MB went unselected. I've prepared several files to prove this, took me some time to get to this conclusion. This only occurs with images, not with other file types.

This is a problem because I'm trying to make DOpus the right tool to help me in a specific task that I do at least once a day that consists in review about 200 pictures to classify them as "to delete", "sent to a web gallery" or "mark as special ones".

For this I though using the new meta tag filter using rating 0 for "delete", 3 = "gallery", and rating 5 = "special". Also selecting images using a Checkbox lister style seems to be the best because I can do all the work in just one pass (this is a huge time-saver).

Then its a matter of make one button to move every category into different folders in the destination pane (ERASE, GALLERY, SPECIAL) and then resize GALLERY contents to 640x480. Is there any way to fix this? Is there some parameter I can change in the preferences to change this? Is that a feature or a bug? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

Tried also on latest beta (10.0.5.1,4517 x64) and the same thing happens, only with pictures not with other filetypes.
All files >= 1MB got deselected after change his rating. Is it possible to fix this? Can somebody try this with his own copy of DOpus?

Thanks

PS: I really like this to be working properly so I can process several pictures automatically with DOpus (select several files, change rating, move to a separated folder and then resize them)

[quote="gustavo"]Tried also on latest beta (10.0.5.1,4517 x64) and the same thing happens, only with pictures not with other filetypes.
All files >= 1MB got deselected after change his rating. Is it possible to fix this? Can somebody try this with his own copy of DOpus?[/quote]
Confirmed (with a twist). The first time I tried it on a bunch of files in a folder, all files received the selected rating and some files were deselected. JPGs over 1MB were deselected, as you describe in your original report, but other deselected files (e.g. XLS, TXT) were all less than 1MB and there was no obvious pattern to their exclusion. The second time I tried it, after reselecting all the files, only the JPGs larger than 1MB were deselected.

Regards, AB

The reason this happens is that the metadata library we use updates larger files in a slightly different way to smaller ones.

With smaller files, it just overwrites the old file, so the old never goes anywhere and remains selected.

With larger files, it writes the new version of the file to a tempfile, then deletes the old file and renames the tempfile to take its place. Opus currently sees that as the old file being renamed and then deleted, which causes it to be deselected. (Then another file immediately takes its place, but as far as Opus is concerned it's a totally different file.)

We will be improving the way this works in the future, so that the files stay selected. (This should also fix the similar thing you'll see if you select a Word document and then save over it.) The code to do that was written today, but we are going to test it internally for a while before we include it in a public release, so it will not be in the next update but it is in the pipeline (unless we discover something really badly wrong with the solution we currently have).