Right-click (context) menu (on folder) no longer scrolls

Sometimes a context menu (when right-clicking a filename) is longer than can be displayed on the screen. It used to be that when it happened, I could scroll the context menu. Now, I no longer can. Here's an example:

As you can see the bottom item is cut off - and I cannot scroll to get beyond it (e.g., to the Properties option). (Yes I know I can click the Properties button. That's just an example.)

Directory Opus Pro 12.33 Build 8659 x64
OS 10.0 (B:19045 P:2 T:1) SP 0.0

thanks,
Yosh

Is this a recent change? I.e. Was it working in Opus 12.33 before, but now isn't, or was the change tied to installing an Opus update?

I am not sure.
Incidentally, I just right-clicked on a file in a lister for a folder that has a lot more options (related to photos and OneDrive) and this time I DID get the scroller:

I've also had no problem (obviously) when displaying a context menu that fits comfortably within the screen.

It may be some boundary condition where the number of options is just one or two beyond what fits on the screen and the overflow condition is not detected. When it's more, then the scroller opens.

UPDATE: I just right-clicked a lot of different files with different extensions and in different locations. The pattern I am finding is that the scrollbar always appears properly (when needed) on the context menus EXCEPT for file folders. On folders, it ALWAYS comes up cut-off and with no scrollbar. The first example above in the original post is from a folder.

I've updated the title to reflect this finding.

So that first screenshot is a folder? It has a "Print" item at the top which I don't think I've ever seen on a folder before (unless it's been added by something).

Haven't checked Opus 12 but so far I can't reproduce any issues in Opus 13, with files or folders.

Things that could be a factor:

• Mixed DPI. If there are multiple monitors in different DPIs, or DPI has changed since the last reboot, it can complicate things, especially with pop-up menus and even more so if they're on the same screen as the taskbar or a similar docked toolbar.

• Tools that move/resize/on-top windows, add things to their titlebars or change window border appearance. Those can cause weird issues sometimes, and might be throwing off the menu vs screen size calculation in some way.

• Screen resolution, DPI and font choices may be a factor, if it only happens when the menu is only over by, say, 1/4 of a line or something like that. Maybe it's always more or less than that for me. I can try the same ones you're using if you list them.

Avoiding the issue entirely by de-cluttering the menu is another option: Tip: Organise and Speed-Up Context Menus

OK, I doublechecked, and you are right, it is not a folder. You are right about the Print option appearing. Another clue is the CSVFileViewer option, which appears on CSV and .txt files. It was a .txt file. Here's another example, where I've included some background, i.e, more than just the context menu:

As you can see, the highlighted file, which was right-clicked, has a .txt extension. You can see the bottom of the screen (note the task bar fragment) where the context menu is cut off without the ability to scroll.

So, I did some more testing and realized there is actually a different factor at play here. This really surprised me.

It depends where on the line you right-click! Not on what the filetype is!

Here's an example:

First: right-click near the right end of the filename:

And here is the exact same folder & file with a right-click on the left edge:

As you can see, the scrollbar is missing! It's hard to tell, at first, that it's cut off, because there is a whole line at the bottom, but we know there are options missing by comparison to the click further to the right.

Note that I tried this in some other locations in the filesystem and I did not get consistent results. Sometimes it worked like this and sometimes it behaved correctly.

Re: your comments about DPI, screen res, etc. - I don't think that is what is at play here, given this case of the same file giving different menus depending where on the line it is clicked.

Can I send some logs or something that will help you puzzle this one out? Or I'd be happy to do some additional testing, if you'd like.

I'll also take a look at the de-cluttering article - sounds like a good idea regardless.

Thanks,
Yosh

Hi @Leo - just checking in. Were you able to replicate this with right-clicking in different locations on the line sometimes yielding a non-scrolling context menu?
Thanks,
Yosh

I haven't been able to reproduce it so far.

Is it the horizontal mouse position that's a factor, or the vertical one? Maybe it depends on how high up the filename is and exactly where you click it in the Y axis?

From my testing I only saw it relative to the horizontal position (how far right/left).