Search No longer works as it used to

The last post on this topic is from 2018, so I figured I should open a new thread.
I just updated to Windows 11, using D-Opus 12 (I just Updated to D-Opus 13, but I am having the exact same issue).
I was trying to organize some files I have on a hard drive that I know for a fact have the string "patreon" in their folder name and filename. These are a number of folders containing videos, tutorials and sheet music.
The constant is that I attached the name of the site everytime I downloaded them: "patreon".

I wanted to consolidate these folders all in one folder I created on this storage drive, where incidentally I have a top level folder named "Patreon".

I start the Ctrl-F search, it's setup to open a new tab, but it couldn;t find anything with the string Patreon" despite there being a folder at the top level.

I double checked all the variables multiple times, but no matter what I do, the search goes on and on without showing a single file or folder.

I also tried looking for files alone and folders alone. No dice.
I went so far as to create text files called patreon.txt and patreon-01.txt in a folder called Patreon.

Nothing. I let it search for almost a half hour with no results.
I hoped that updating to D-opus 13 would solve the issue, but it didn't.

I am at my wits end, since I use the D-opus search function all the time for very similar type of searches, i.e. consolidation of files and folders by date, keyword, etc. but now I don't trust it anymore.

Windows search works fine, as does "find-as-you-type", but of course it doesn't look into sub-directories, so it's not nearly as useful for my workflow.

Lastly, I never had windows Indexing on, but DOpus search worked just fine. I'd hate to have to turn the service back on. I don't mind a slightly slower search, I mind a search that doesn;t work.

Thank you.

I just run another test after noticing that the search was passing through a folder where I keep a number of Canon drivers, manuals, etc. for my cameras and my printers.

So I did a search for "canon" and just a few seconds later, results started to appear.
That tells me that the search works. However a little less than a half-hour ago I did again the "patreon" search and I still have no results at all.

Is the search going in alphabetical order? Is my drive just too big (8TB) and too full (5TB) for the searches I am doing to show results?

My other drives are 4TB but they are also pretty busy. I never had to wait so long for a result.

Are there any tricks to reduce the search workload, other than specifying just folders or just files? Can I do a reverse (starting with the new/old or a/z?).
Can I tell Dopus not to search inside the files and search only filenames?

I have been using D-Opus for almost 10 years now, but I recall buying it mostly because its search feature was absolutely kick-ass. I have since found many more features I use daily, but search is still among my top uses of the software.

Incidentally, it's now 35 minutes later and some files with "patreon" are starting to show up, but not the top-level folder by that name.

Any help, tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm not sure which post from 2018 you're referring to, so I may be missing some context here.

Please post a couple of screenshots showing how the Find is set up and the results, and another showing the files it should be finding but isn't.

With those we might be able to see what's happening, or check how the same search works for us.

(Please also link your account.)

The 2018 post I was referring to was the most recent post I could find referring to D-Opus search not working. What I meant was that since it had been 5 years since the last post there was a good chance that any workarounds or suggestions from back then may not work any longer.

However, I have since discovered that the search does work, it just takes a very long time.

I let the search run overnight and this morning indeed I had a page full of results for "patreon".
As I explained in my own reply, I am guessing my hard drive is just too large and too full to get a prompt result.
I think a partial solution would be to bypass the "search inside files" option, but I don't know how to do that or even if it's possible at all.

Insofar as the Account Linking, when I try to link my account I get this:

:(
Error
Something went wrong.

EDIT: I was able to link my account by following the link in your post. The one in the forum proper indeed gave me the error above, but when I linked from the "Please also [link your account" that took me to a page where I was able to enter my code, as you can probably see by my account status.
You may want to test the account linking in the forum. Yours is: "resource. dopus. com/ my/ link-opus" the one in the forum is: "resource.dopus. com/ link-opus"

Here is my search screen. Again, I was wrong. The search works, but it takes hours. I may make another post to ask for tips on how to configure it in order to find files and folders more quickly than several hours.

A simple filename search shouldn't take hours, unless that X:\ drive is really slow at returning folder listings (e.g. a normal network drive which is mapped to a server over the internet could be very slow).

Many thanks! That should be fixed now. It was still using an old URL that stopped working when the forum software changed a while ago.

Glad to be of help. I am in the business and I can totally see how this could happen, since you guys probably registered the account years ago and had no reason to create a new account and then re-register it.

It was good that you added the link to the post or I would have gone insane :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I mentioned in my earlier reply, I realized that this drive is a 8TB drive at least 5TB full. Also, it's sort of my "last resort" backup drive, with lots and lots of 1GB zip files, entire projects mirrored inside, and so on.

For some reason I had assumed the search functioned by first searching top level, then secondary level and so on.

Instead, by watching the progress, I can tell that it drills down on the very first directory, then goes on to the second, drills down again, and so forth.

By the time it get to any folder starting with "P" it might have had to search inside 4TB worth of data, which explains the overnight nature of the search. (To clarify, I follow several creators on Patreon and they publish sheet music, MP3s, etc. Except that having subscribed at different times, I have put the folders in different places--luckily adding "patreon" in the folder name. I am usually better than this, but this time I screwed up and I was hoping to find these folders and put them all in the same "Patreon" top-level folder)

For future searches in this and future large drives, I downloaded a little piece of freeware called "Everything" which is a very basic search engine, but it was able to find all my "Patreon" folders in the same drive in a matter of seconds.

Now that I think of it, it would be nice to have the same functionality in D-Opus as a third search engine. It's truly lightning fast, if not very sophisticated.

Ah, "Search Archives" is turned on, so it's going to be looking inside of all those big archives. That explains why it's so slow.

If you don't need it to find things inside of archives, turning that off will make things much faster.

You can use Everything from Opus now, by the way. :slight_smile:

I can? I added it as an app in my toolbar, so I can launch it quickly. Is that what you meant? Is there a more integrated solution to that?

Also, I did turn off the "search archives" function. I am not sure how much it helped because it still takes a long time to search anything not called "AAA-Amazing towing company" or some such.

Lean back and enjoy the show :popcorn:

Thank you for the link to the manual. I realized I was using the old one (probably a couple of versions old) because I bookmarked it on my browser and it never occurred to me to substitute it with the newer version. Duh!
Indeed when I typed ''everything'' in the search I got a result. Sadly the result was:

## Integration with Everything
TOBEDONE

I did find a page that explained how 'everything' was now integrated with Opus and why, but there were no instructions on how to use it.
Honestly, it's not going to kill me to launch it separately and probably with a bit of effort I may be able to find the integration somewhere in D-Opus, but I wanted to let you know that the page is not finished.

See: Integration with Everything - #2 by Leo

Thank you. I went searching for it in the preferences, but I only found the selected checkboxes that said it's already in use.
I'll practice the a + syntax later (I haven't been able to really leverage it so far, I must be doing something wrong) and hopefully I can figure it out.

Thank you again.

Thanks, yes unfortunately the manual updates didn't quite get done in time for the release. It's a work in progress :slight_smile:

That page is now done, however:

https://docs.dopus.com/doku.php?id=additional_functionality:everything_integration

3 Likes

There is a problem with this section of the updated page. The screen grab is from Chrome but it has the same black bar in Firefox.

Your browser might have an old style sheet cached, try shift+refresh.

I tried that and it made no difference. I also tried the same page in Edge and it behaves the same as Chrome and Firefox. I will reboot the PC to see if anything changes.

Try "Toggle theme" in the upper-right corner.

Thanks. That reveals the hidden text. I had never noticed that option and to the best of my knowledge I have never used anything other than whatever the default theme is.