Security & Privacy Policy documentation for false-positive

I've read through the FAQs and published privacy policy but not having much luck finding an answer if any of my files, folder, cache, meta, usage and/or any data is ever shared automatically with Dopus or other 3rd parties?

Reason being, I use dopus at work and I manually renamed the dopus.exe to explorer.exe to test something at Jon's recommendation (here). The test worked and then dopus automatically renamed itself back to dopus.exe (which is great), downside is, either me renaming the exe or opus changing it back tripped something on our cyberark security software and now IT wants me to remove dopus. I plan to explain the situation (that I manually changed it and dopus did a good thing by renaming the .exe. back) but think cyberark freaked because an exe was renamed.

In preparation of defending the use of dopus and keeping it on my machine I'd like to know what, if any, data ever leaves my computer. My hope (and guess) is nothing does (outside of maybe licensing info?) but looking for someone at dopus to state the same and/or send me a link to where that is documented. Again, I trust the software and have been using it for years and the thought of reverting back to the default explorer make me shudder.

Any technical info regarding the privacy and security of the utility would be much appreciated. My dream scenario is IT see's the benefits of the tool and would start recommending more folks at work purchase and use it! Thank you!

None of your file data is collected or shared.

The only things we transmit, when doing update checks for the program or licence, are the Windows and Opus versions and Opus registration code, which only go to our update server and no one else. (Opus 13 can download new licences automatically, e.g. to enable a new version or turn on SFTP support, to save people having to manually download and then install them. So it needs to tell the server your reg code to find out if there's a newer licence to download.)

Of course, if you use network shares or FTP within Opus then the program can transmit data to servers you connect to, but only when you tell it to do that. And if you send in crash dumps, those might include information related to the crash, which sometimes includes file paths if they were in memory when the problem happened, but rarely any actual file data, and the data isn't shared with anyone or used other than to work out why the crash happened and (if it was in our code and not a shell extension or similar) fix it.

1 Like