Select file(s), context menu copy to open tab (lister)

XyPlorer has a useful feature that I would like to know if DOpus has.
If I select some files and right click, it presents its own context menu, with a CopyTo (Or MoveTo) submenu that then lists the open tabs for easy copying or moving of files to other tabs.

Can this be done with DOpus?

e.g.
Copy To ->Open Tabs->C:\My Documents
C:\My Documents\MyVideos
\server\mystuff\pictures

Not from the context menu.However, you can do this:[ol][li] Select your files in the active tab[/li]
[li] Depress the Ctrl key[/li]
[li] Drag the selected files over another Folder Tab.[/li]
[li] Release the mouse button[/li][/ol]Same results you are looking for. I think it's a little quicker than what you described above would be anyway.

[quote="espressodaily"]XyPlorer has a useful feature that I would like to know if DOpus has.
If I select some files and right click, it presents its own context menu, with a CopyTo (Or MoveTo) submenu that then lists the open tabs for easy copying or moving of files to other tabs.

Can this be done with DOpus?

e.g.
Copy To ->Open Tabs->C:\My Documents
C:\My Documents\MyVideos
\server\mystuff\pictures[/quote]

While the Dopus way of doing it is nice too when using purely the mouse,
the XYplorer way is a very usefull feature also when using the keyboard that I will surely miss especially since I had CopyTo, MoveTo, BackupTo mapped to Ctrl+Shift+C, or X, or S and then could quickly select recent folders from the context dropdown all by using only the keyboard.

I hope DOpus implements this feature 1 day since this is my most missed feature.

If you're using the keyboard and want to copy & paste between tabs then you can Ctrl-C the files, then use Ctrl-Left/Right (by default) to change tabs, then Ctrl-V the files.

(You can change the Ctrl-Left/Right hotkeys if you prefer something else. Go to Customize -> Keys. I'm used to Excel so I use Ctrl-PageUp/Down instead.)

[quote="leo"]If you're using the keyboard and want to copy & paste between tabs then you can Ctrl-C the files, then use Ctrl-Left/Right (by default) to change tabs, then Ctrl-V the files.

(You can change the Ctrl-Left/Right hotkeys if you prefer something else. Go to Customize -> Keys. I'm used to Excel so I use Ctrl-PageUp/Down instead.)[/quote]
Thanks for the quick reply, but I knew about those but it is just not the same since it switches to the other tabs and that disrupts the whole workflow.

Also note that in XYplorer when you have mapped the the CopyTo etc to a key the recent items have numbers with a dash below them so you can select them by number via the keyboard, or you could just move the mouse down to select the items quickly, it would be truly great if Dopus had this, in addition to the other methods.

I forgot to mention that in addition to MoveTo CopyTo BackupTo "Tabs" and "Recent" there should also be "Favorites", it would be kinda like the functionality of a folder select dialog in context menu form.

I guess it would reuse something like this resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... +favorites

I guess the Favorites and Recent could have an additional argument so that they could be clicked without GOing to the location but instead copy the location to a variable that can be used by the Copy command, something like they are trying todo in this thread resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... +favorites

As an XPlorer user myself, I have to agree completely with this post. The CopyTo and MoveTo functions on the file/folder context menu is a function I use a lot. Since DOPus is otherwise so complete, I find it hard to believe that this useful function has been omitted.

In fact - the problem with Xplorer is that is does the copy/move in the current thread - so you can do nothing else while the copying is going on. It is the main reason I am looking at DOpus.

I can do the same thing by clicking on a file (or files), and then going to the File Menu/File Commands. So the function is built into DOpus - it just does not seem possible to add the functions to the context menu. I have had a look - and the file commands do not seem possible. I would not mind adding them manually - but the file commands do not seem possible in the context menu editor. Is this correct?

I only use DOpus in single tab mode - very much like Windows Explorer, I guess. So copying between tabs is not an option.

You can add anything you like to the context menu through Settings / File types. In this instance you would add the Copy and Copy MOVE commands to the All Files & Folders filetype's context menu. By default these commands copy to the destination folder (unless there isn't one, in which case they prompt for a destination) but if you want them to always prompt use Copy TO=ask and Copy MOVE TO=ask.

Brilliant!!! Just what I was looking for. Many thanks for that.

Just registered because I don't understand how to add the 'copy to' and 'move to' commands to the context menu.

Can you give me step by step, click by click instructions on how to do this.

I've been a PowerDesk user since w-a-y back when, but now that I am a Vista 64-bit guy, Opus look like the way to go.

Thank guys

Dave

To learn the basics of toolbar editing watch the Toolbars 1 video tutorial.

With that knowledge, go to Settings -> File Types -> All Files and Folders -> Context Menu and add whatever commands you want. Editing the context menus is similar to editing the toolbars.

[quote="Dave"]Just registered because I don't understand how to add the 'copy to' and 'move to' commands to the context menu.

Can you give me step by step, click by click instructions on how to do this.
[/quote]
Settings menu
File Types
At the top (in Directory Opus File Types), click on 'All Files and Folders'
click on Edit button at the bottom
Click on Conext menu tab
you will see there the existing context menu. You need to add to this.
Click New button
In Action field - type "Copy to -->"
Type = "Run an Opus function"
In the edit field that opens up - type "Copy TO=ask$"
Save this.
You may then want to move the item up and down the menu - simply drag the options around.
You can add a line by selecting "Begin a group" on the menu

Do the same for Move to, except the code is "Copy MOVE TO=ask$"

kgn: thankyou. I did manage to get a Copy To in there but couldn't get the Move To. Got it now.

Need to talk to sales people now and see how many computers I can put Opus9 on legally. If I like what I hear, I'm then going to ask about getting a ver for my wife's Vista 32-bit laptop.

Again, thanks

dNd Original Photography
dndoriginalphotography.com