Silent Installation in a corporate Environment

Hello!

I work in a corporate environment with a small team of 35 people. We have a 35 seat license and I've done the silent install using the information listed here; HOW TO: Perform silent (un)install of Directory Opus - Opus FAQs - Directory Opus Resource Centre (dopus.com)

Doing upgrades for users going from 12 > 12.x version was easy. Just install over top and done.

Going to version 13 is proving a little more difficult. The test install I've done for this is getting hung in the steps I've setup via our management software during the install. I am speculating its stopping on some of the prompts I saw with the manual install where it mentioned the version 12 we had could not be upgraded without a new certificate (Which I have).

Anyone have insight into doing this?

Thanks!

1 Like

I think you're right about the cause, from my own testing today. The Inno Setup /log option shows it's unable to proceed from the initial installer page, which requires a confirmation before the Next button is enabled. Using /SAVEINF and /LOADINF to record the choice also doesn't seem to work, unfortunately.

As far as I can tell, silent installs currently require Opus 12 be removed first, which isn't ideal. (Not just the extra logic required, but because it will wipe the user's config.)

We're discussing internally how we can improve this.

I also noticed that our instructions didn't include a link to Inno Setup's uninstaller command line details (only those for the installer). I've corrected that. For convenience, I'll link to both here:

The uninstaller is usually C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\unins000.exe.

Note that uninstalling usually requests a reboot, since our DLLs end up loaded into a lot of processes. But upgrading Opus 12 to 13 also requires a reboot, which won't be needed if 12 was uninstalled first, so it ends up even in that respect.

So the main issue at the moment is losing the config folder(s), unless manually backed up and restored:

• %APPDATA%\GPSoftware\Directory Opus

(For each user on the machine.)

1 Like

Leo,

Thank you for taking a look into this. I look forward to seeing what kind of changes are made to improve this process.

We've made a change for the next beta (13.6.2) which makes silent installs over Opus 12 work.

1 Like

Awesome! Do I need to adjust anything in my current steps to make this happen? Trying to prepare ahead of time. Are any command switches different? Also, the environment lab we work in is a closed network. I know version 13 can pull down the license when online but will this be an issue with a separated network environment?

You shouldn't need to make any changes, if your existing scripts work with Opus 12.20 and above (i.e. the Inno Setup builds), other than be weary that the upgrade from 12 to 13 may prompt for a reboot at the end (or will do a reboot without prompting, if told to via the command line).

Offline environment shouldn't cause any issues. You can install the new certificate file via the command line after the update itself is installed, to keep everything automated. I verified that still works today when testing the new installer. (Remember that the command line for doing that may need updating, as it includes both the path to the certificate file and the registration code.)

Another thing to be aware of: The first time the user runs Opus 13 after the upgrade, it'll show the upgrade dialog to help convert their config. That won't happen during the installation itself, though (as long as you include /norun when running dopus.exe to install the certificate).