Slow network access compared to Windows Explorer

Hello,

Browsing through network folders is considerably slower than browsing the same folder on WE.
Right click context menus are also considerably slower on DO than on WE. Again this is only for network folders or network files.

On Local folders, DO is just as fast as WE. No issues there.

Going through previous topics, I tried the following without success

• Uninstalled and reinstalled DO
  • Disabled ALL items other than those by Microsoft on ShellxView
  • Reset the Folder Format to Factory Default format

DO Version 12.21 x64
Windows 10 Version 1809

Can you please suggest what else I might try

Thank you

What kind of network device is it?

Is it on a LAN or are we talking about something over the internet (or an intranet)?

A Windows PC, or some other kind of device?

What types of files are in the folders that are slow?

Some of the Microsoft ones have issues these days as well, although that may or may not be the cause. Try Preferences / Miscellaneous / Windows Integration / Hide Windows items on file context menus (shift overrides) to hide all non-Opus context menu items by default.

Which columns are turned on in the folders which are slow? If Description is on, try turning it off, as well as anything else which gets details from inside files (Width, Height, etc.)

Try turning on Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Show generic icons for... network drives (Windows Defender in particular can absolutely ruin performance when icons are requested in network folders full of installers.)

Make sure Zip files are not shown in the folder tree (Preferences / Folder Tree / Contents) to avoid another potential performance issue. (If that is a problem, there are some other settings to check. That's just the quickest way to test it.)

(n.b. I haven't checked if all of the settings I mentioned are in Light. These are just things off the top of my head.)

1. It's my company corporate network accessed via VPN from home.
  2. Windows PC running Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 1809
  3. ALL network folders are slow. Types of files include pdf, office documents, zips etc. Even opening an empty network folder is very slow.
  4. Folder Format - Only "Name", "Size", "Type", "Modified", "Attr" are shown. Description is not shown
  5. I don't see this option on DO Light - Preferences / Miscellaneous / Windows Integration / Hide Windows items on file context menus (shift overrides)
  6. I don't see this option on DO Light - Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Show generic icons for... network drives
  7. I can confirm that Zip files are NOT checked under Preferences / Folder Tree / Contents

Disabling the Microsoft entries via ShellExView would do something similar and might be worth a try in that case.

If it isn't folders with exe files in then you can probably ignore that part.

Other than those things, I'm not sure why reading directories would be slower in one program than the other. The folder listing ultimately comes from Windows.

What sort of speeds do you see in other software? For example, the dir command from a command prompt, on the same drive/path?

There is a fairly exhaustive list of things that may affect speed here: General slowdown or instability investigation steps

I'm comparing with the inbuilt windows explorer. I've attached a short video showing the speed difference. I created a bunch of empty folders for this demo. The empty folder are taking between 1-2 seconds to open on DOpus. On windows explorer they open instantly.

I am not sure why one would be slightly slower than the other. It could be because Opus is doing some extra checks when changing folders (e.g. to look for labels or junctions or something in the filesystem).

Using Process Monitor instructions to log what's being done against the network path when changing folders may reveal which operation(s) are slowing things down.

Thanks for sending the logs.

Turning off Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Display localized folder names may help slightly.

Selecting Preferences / File Displays / Border / Display as a static header is also worth a quick try. (If that does make a difference, there are some other things to investigate, but if it doesn't, don't worry about that and set it back to normal.)

Other than those ideas, nothing stands out as a particular cause of slowdown. The issue is more that the network drive is extremely slow, and any request to it is taking between 0.1 and 0.5 seconds to complete, which adds up to a few seconds when the drive has to be queried for several pieces of information.

For example, the logs show that just querying the free space on the drive (which is one API call but results in multiple requests to the drive generated by the OS) is taking almost 1.5 seconds to get a number back. Reading the folder listing is similar. Just those on their own would account for the difference between the two programs in your video. They would normally take fractions of a second, even on a (LAN) network drive.

This is evident when Explorer accesses the drive as well (from the log that doesn't have other processes filtered out). Explorer is probably just doing a bit less on each folder change, which results in the difference. (From your video, I'd call both slow, although Opus is admittedly slower.)