Sorting Folders Based on Modified Content

Hi,

I'd like to sort Folders based on the "Modified" value of the newest file within the folders. In other words, assume three folders named "A", "B", and "C", whose "Modified" dates are as follows:

A 11-15-06

B 11-20-06

C 11-25-06

Folder A's newest file has a "Modified" date of 12-2-06

Folder B's newest file has a "Modified" date of 12-3-06

Folder C's newest file has a "Modified" date of 12-1-06

I want to be able to sort the Folders in order of their newest file's "Modification" date, i.e.

B
A
C

Can this be done?

Note:

(The Folder's "Modified" value doesn't appear to be altered by the creation/modification of files within the folder...?)

Thanks

As far as I know the success of doing this depends upon your version of Windows.

If you're running an older version, say Windows 98, then you're out of luck. If you're running the current version of XP Pro, then it should be already done for you as XP updates the folder date with the timestamp of the most recently modified file.

[quote="JohnZeman"]As far as I know the success of doing this depends upon your version of Windows.

If you're running an older version, say Windows 98, then you're out of luck. If you're running the current version of XP Pro, then it should be already done for you as XP updates the folder date with the timestamp of the most recently modified file.[/quote]

I'm using XP Home SP2 and "The Folder's "Modified" value doesn't appear to be altered by the creation/modification of files within the folder...?"

I have two XP Home machines at my office, I'll check them tomorrow when I'm there to see if they modify folder dates according to the date of the last modified file in the folders. I know XP Pro does this on all my other machines.

After further testing it appears I was wrong. XP Pro does change the folder date when a new file is added to a folder but does not update the folder timestamp when an existing file within it changes.

Folder timestamps have never been an issue for me, as folders themselves are only containers for the files within them.

At this point I have to admit I wasn't seeing the tree in front of me when I was looking at the forest. Try putting Opus in flat view mode and sorting the files by the last modified dates.

Thanks John.

I could swear that my PC used to act as you describe. But I'm not certain, and I've been unable to get it to act that way again.

[quote="hfk123"]Thanks John.

I could swear that my PC used to act as you describe. But I'm not certain, and I've been unable to get it to act that way again.[/quote]
Same thing here. And for your information : Explorerplus do that. A friend of mine doesn't want to change to opus because explorerplus did that and not opus ! It's not really a major problem for me but it would be a great things to do.

What's the reason for wanting to find the folder with the newest file?

There's a way to do this which would work in some cases but would be quite tedious in other cases. If you find all files below a certain point, then sort by modified date and turn on the Location column, then you will have a list of files in date order, along with the directories they are in.

As I say, this won't be ideal in many cases, but if you just want to work out which directory is the newest, or only have a small number of directories or files, then it should do the job.

Well. It's useful for people who want to know not only which directories are the newest ones BUT which directories was last modified ! Even if it's a file who was last modified the folder has to appears as the new one on the top.

I think too it will be a great. I though Opus did that. Explorerplus did that and seems to be the only one to do that. I have to check other explorer like to know if they are the only ones.

How does ExplorerPlus do it? Does it have a special sort mode, or a special column which lists the newest modified time of a file inside the directory?

I really don't know. When you modified a file, then if you sort the directory, it appears on top, like the newest modified folder on the list.

My friend told me that's why he will never change of explorerplus cause the other doesn't do that and that was the first thing he checked when he tried opus !

Sounds to me like ExplorerPlus is just displaying the Modified column the same as Opus, Explorer and so on.

Are you both sure it's behaving differently in the two programs?