Source Code Viewer Plugin (32-bit only)

See also: Syntax coloured source-code viewer (32 & 64 bit)

Admin Note:
JDNet.co.uk has been down for a long time, so the links to download this plugin below may not work. --Leo

Source Code Viewer is a freeware plugin for Directory Opus (32-bit only). It provides an enhanced viewer pane for viewing your source code using the freeware Scintilla control (http://www.scintilla.org). This control provides a host of features including syntax colouring, line numbering, code block folding, word wrapping and brace matching amongst others.

The plugin also allows you to edit your code, search for text, goto lines, add your own languages, etc.

Author: James Dickson support@jdnet.co.uk

[Long-broken links removed Aug 2018.]

Version 2 (beta) requires you to install a special version of Scintilla Text Editor (SciTE): SciTE with Extensions.

Hi,

I have installed the plugin following the instructions included in the readme.txt, but the Source Code Viewer plugin is not working.

It doesn't appear in the list of installed plugins (Preferences/plugins) and, of course, it doesn't colour my files when I see them in the viewer panel.

I have found the dlls have dependencies with msjava.dll and msvcr71.dll which weren't installed in my system, but installing them hasn't solved the problem.

Why isn't the plugin/installation working?

Thank you.

I don't have MSJAVA.DLL on my system either but the plugin works here, so it's not that. Hopefully James (who wrote the plugin) can help you.

BTW there's also MSVCP71.DLL in addition to MSVCR71.DLL in the plugin's dependencies. Got both?

You've got the Scintilla.dll and SciLexer.dll installed as well? I think the instructions say to copy them to system32 but I found putting them in the Directory Opus directory (i.e. alongside dopus.exe) works as well if you don't want to add things to System32.

Thank you for the help, but I have all the dlls installed correctly :frowning: (I copied the Sci*.dll to the system32 folder directly).

Problem solved.

You were right, I rechecked my dlls and I was missing msvcp71.dll (my dependencies program didn't alert me, i don't know why).

I copied this dll to the dopus directory and the Source Code Viewer plugin appeared in the list after refreshing.

Thank you very much for the help.

Maybe there is a problem with windows xp and Athlon 64. I turned off the Data Execution Protection and now this viewer is working.

Can anyone tell me how to toggle word wrap in the SVC?

Right-click the window to get a context menu that allows you to set word wrap and other options.

Awsome! I have it working and I added the batch and html/xml config from the forum also. Groovin. Can anyone tell me how to go about defining my own config. I now need SQL config. Maybe a tutorial somewhere on building configurations? Much obliged.

I think Beta 2 will colour SQL files out-of-the-box since it uses SciTE's configuration files.

C:\Program Files\Scintilla Text Editor\sql.properties

Attached is a modified SciTEGlobal.properties for use with Source Code Viewer version 2 (beta) which makes a couple of changes to the default configuration which comes with SciTE:

• All fonts changed to BitStream Vera Sans or BitStream Vera Sans Mono. (The default SciTE config uses several different fonts in various sizes which I found ugly, especially as Comic Sans was one of them.)
  • Display of indentation and guide whitespace turned off by default.
  • Colour of whitespace markers made a little lighter.
  • End-of-line mode set to "CRLF" and "auto", although this seems to affect SciTE only, not the plugin, for some reason.

The original config file is also in the zip so you can use a diff tool to see exactly what I've changed. These changes are not huge but, as I wasn't familiar with SciTE, it took some searching to work out what to do and I figure if may save other people some time. (Thanks also to Jamie for helping me find what needed to be edited without having to RTFM too much. :slight_smile:)

Fonts

The BitStream Vera Sans family of fonts are not part of a standard Windows install so you'll need to grab and install them before using the config file, or edit the fonts to something else. If you don't then you'll get some default fonts used. If the main font you see is not monospaced then you haven't installed the fonts properly.

The fonts are freely available from the Gnome FTP server and I've also attached the current version to this message to make life easier.

Use an Opus button which runs Copy INSTALLFONT as a quick way to install the fonts. (Unzip and select them first.) Or you can go to your Fonts folder and select Install Fonts from the menus.

Config File

The config file itself should replace C:\Program Files\Scintilla Text Editor\SciTEGlobal.properties if you've installed SciTE to the default location.

Screenshot

Click the thumbnail below to see what the fonts look like. They work well for source code.

NudelSciTEConfig.zip (14.7 KB)
ttf-bitstream-vera-1.10.zip (345 KB)

Hi all,

I installed SCV beta2, and i can't make it work with .css and .js files

I does work with .htm, .php, .txt, .ini and many many more

I use the standard scintilla installation (with extensions)

if i disable text viewer, scv does not work either, i just get a blank viewer pane

Any idea ?

Cheers, Nico

I installed the Source Code Viewer plugin and was able to use it to view and edit php and css files. A few days later, I tried to use it again - and it's not working for me. When I choose that plugin to view documents, they look blank. Using the text viewer on the same documents shows the contents.

Given that it was working at first, I'm baffled. I've tried reinstalling it, carefully following the instructions packaged with the plugin, but to no avail. I have the dlls mentioned earlier in this thread.

The plugin appears on the list of plugins, and is checked as active. However the "configure" option for the plugin is greyed out.

Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem might be?

-very-small-voice-on-
never mind
-very-small-voice-off-

There's a vertical divider (not sure what for, but it's there) and I somehow managed to get it dragged all the way to the left edge of the viewer pane.

I'll just go and sit quietly in the corner now...

I thought that the blank panel was a bug at first but if you view some C++ source code you'll see what it's for (see screenshot).

For most other file formats it won't display anything but a blank pane.

You can turn it off by pressing Ctrl-T, or by right-clicking the viewer and selecting Options -> View Tree.

I appear to have found a bug with the invaluable SCV plugin (BTW, great work RhinoBanga!)....

I was viewing the attached file (zipped up) in the SCV viewer plugin which had word wrap enabled, and then disabled word wrap. The horizontal scrollbar did not reflect the true width of the largest line. It was possible to scroll further to the right by either using the cursor keys or the right scroll arrow.

While I'm posting, I'd also like to make a feature request for "Find & Replace..." to be added to the plugin.
google.zip (1.48 KB)

It would appear to be a bug in Scintilla since the same problem occurs when viewing in SciTE.

Another feature request - Can you make it possible to paste into the Find dialog. Currently, it is always pasted into the SCV editor, even when the Find dialog edit box has the focus.

Ooops ... I'll get that one sorted.

Thanks RhinoBanga!

BTW, I contacted the author of Scintilla/SciTE, Neil, regarding the horizontal scrollbar and he replied that he doesn't consider it a bug, but rather design. His argument is that he prefers to defer any processing until it's really necessary.

I have replied saying it would take minimal overhead to calculate the max line length on load and then keep this updated during editing, but it does not look like he'll implement it any time soon. If anyone else would like to see this "fixed", can you contact the Neil to voice your support.

Maybe he'll implement it if enough people want it :slight_smile: