Surface Book: scrolling doesn't work correctly

Some problems with other software were mentioned above by other people, although I don't know if they still happen as I can't test how anything works without the hardware to do it.

As for contacting Microsoft, I don't know where the best place is for this type of thing, but if you've given them hundreds of dollars for something I would hope they have an easy way to contact them if there's an issue with it. :slight_smile:

I would describe it as their touchpad drivers not sending standard mousewheel messages to programs that haven't opted in to their special mode that only the Surface touchpads use.

I still fail to understand why this problem is 99% only in Opus, do Firefox or Chrome have a very complex scrolling algorithm? Other file managers which compete with Opus don't have this problem, comparing apples to apples. Even software that are slightly affected by the problem, it's not nearly as bad as in Opus.

And for the record, there's no such thing as a "Precision" trackpad. Trackpads are made just by a few companies, Precision is just a software implementation written by Microsoft, probably in collaboration with trackpad manufacturers.

In the latest beta (12.16.1) we've added preliminary support for high-res scrolling. Please give it a try and let us know how you get on.

Hi Jon,

I have a surface book 2, and I've given up on using the trackpad, but this is a step in the right direction.

(The driver appears to be 'Intel Precise Touch Device v1.2.0.100)

What are you testing on? The 12.16.1 beta on my surface book does scroll with the trackpad but it initially lags, then jumps.

The jumps are disproportionate to the distance 'swiped' on the trackpad. I suspect its because you get many scroll events. You may need to accumulate scroll events and only act on them after 100ms of idle time for example.. (not that I have done any windows programming for a couple of decades..)

Cheers

1 Like

I was able to work out how to force my laptop to accept the precision drivers (although it took some persuading). Once I'd done that however scrolling behaved as described in this thread, with the 12.16.1 changes it seems quite smooth to me so your results are disappointing.

I think waiting 100ms before scrolling each time would be very noticeable.

Can you be more specific about what you're seeing? I find "lag" is a very imprecise term :slight_smile:

I’ll try, maybe even catch a video but I wanted to stop by and mention I was browsing photos and switched from my usual detail mode to thumbnails and it was instantly smooth as silk.

Just some feedback - I upgraded to DO 12.17 and the scrolling is heaps better on my Surface Book 2. In general it works great, except that it sometimes can’t keep up redrawing the window contents if I scroll faster. But as soon as I let go it catches up. It’s not a huge issue though, a big improvement over the old scrolling behaviour.

Thanks!

1 Like