Tab Focus With Mouse (AutoIt script example)

I've just create a little tool to activate tab when the mouse is hovering over it .

You can exit tool by clicking icon in systray.

Include : AutoIt script and executable
Tab Focus With Mouse For Directory Opus.zip (264 KB)

1. You need to keep the mouse too long over the tab.
  2. If you click on a tab it will be closed (sometimes).
  3. If you move the mouse over the text (not the icon) of the tab and remain too long there it goes to rename-modus.
  4. I also experienced that tabs were moved O_o although I did not click anywhere.
  1. Create your own script
  2. wait for GPSoftware to add this feature
  3. you're welcome
  4. admin, you can delete this post if you want

1 - 4) poorly delivered, though I think well-intentioned constructive feedback
5 - 8) poorly received, though I think understandable reaction to his efforts (though perhaps also woke up on wrong side of bed :slight_smile: )

1. Can the source be provided for others to see if it can be tweaked?
  2. Has ANYONE actually submitted a feature request yet other than JohnZ?

The source (.au3 script) is included in the download.

Yeah, I just paid attention to the mention of the "executable" and hadn't actually downloaded it. Ok, so I've looked at Albator's nifty little script and have the following comments:

[quote]1) You need to keep the mouse too long over the tab.[/quote]So you can reduce this from the current 200 ms, to something shorter... but this will affect your other observations below - read on.

[quote]2) If you click on a tab it will be closed (sometimes).[/quote]This is because Albator's script is doing it's own mouse click in order to activate the tab you're hovering over... if you click on the tab yourself as well, then depending on how soon after (or even before) the script does so, you're effectively doing a "double-click" which will close the tab if you've enabled the Double-click to close a tab option in Prefs.

[quote]3) If you move the mouse over the text (not the icon) of the tab and remain too long there it goes to rename-modus.[/quote]Similar to the above explanation, if you haven't moved the mouse, then after Albator's script wakes up and starts counting down again and sees that the mouse position has not changed (again) it will perform another (single) click, which will enter you into the rename mode. Note that if you were to reduce the time mush lowere than 200 ms, the script itself may ALWAYS effectively be doing a double-click and close the tab just by hovering over it like you saw above but withOUT an additional click from you... THIS behavior here is happening, because the script is currently allowing enough time to pass by between just the clisks it's doing on it's own so that there are multiple 'single' clicks happening if you leave the mouse positioned over the same tab for very long.

[quote]4) I also experienced that tabs were moved O_o although I did not click anywhere.[/quote]Also very similar to the above... but REALLY time sensitive... if you've hovered the mouse over the tab folder icon, and start to move the mouse at the exact instant as when the script is performing the mouse click, it's resulting in a tab drag n drop maneuver, and moving the tab...

Since the script is based on simple mouse position compairsons, it might be a little klunky to modify the script to be able to accomodate these behavioural nitnoids and yet still have it do what it's intended to do...

@AlbatorV: I'm sorry, I should have written an introduction to my bugreport.
I didn't want to defame your work, or something. I tried the exe not in order to use it daily but in order to test it and give a feedback. So i did. I thought it might be helpful and you might want to improve your script.

No problem... I have forgot 9) i'm joking