The Find dialog getting on my nerves

I was excited when Directory Opus 9 was announced. I was almost certain I would upgrade, but decided to try out the new version. It's been several days now and I have most thing set the way I like. The one major gripe I have is with the new Find dialog. I find it extremely irritating. In Directory Opus 8, I could go to a folder and press F3 to bring up the Find dialog. Then I could do a search on that folder and all its sub-folders, or I could open a list of drives and tick the ones I wanted to search. This worked great for me, because I have several local drives and over a dozen mapped network drives.

Now the problem with the Find dialog in Directory Opus 9. I press F3 to search a folder and its sub-folders, but now there is no way to open a list of drives I want to search. I have to add them one by one. Not only that, the list to which the drives are added is persistent! Meaning, after I make the effort of adding over a dozen drives to the list, the next time I try to search, it will remember them all and search them all. Then if I remove all the drives from that list, the next time I have to re-add them one by one if I want to search them all. Why can't I specify drives like I could in Directory Opus? For example, using a line like "D:, E:, F:, G:, H:" and so forth. Now my only option is to add the drives one by one to a persistent list.

Since I use the search function many times each day, this is a huge annoyance for me. Upgrading to Directory Opus 9 at this point is out of the question. Not unless there is some way to get back the old Find dialog behavior. Any help or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to leave Directory Opus 9 installed for a few more days, but if I can't resolve this issue, I'm definitely going back to version 8.

If you're always searching the same drives, say C, D and E, then you can create a button which runs

[b]Find IN C:\ D:\ E:[/b]

If it varies then you could create a button which prompts you for the path(s) to search:

Find IN {dlgstring}

Or make a button which adds all the letters you might want to search and then remove the unwanted ones by hand when you use it.

It's also worth noting that you can quickly clear the remembered paths in the Find dialog by shift-clicking the "remove path" button.

You can even drag & drop folders into the list. Just mark the drives you want to search and drag them into the find dialog. It couldn't get much easier... :wink:

Unfortunately you can't drag drives from the tree, just subfolders (it does work in the normal file display, though). Could this be made available in one of the next updates, please? I don't see why this shouldn't work too...

Cheers,
Jan

[quote="nudel"]If it varies then you could create a button which prompts you for the path(s) to search:

Find IN {dlgstring}

Or make a button which adds all the letters you might want to search and then remove the unwanted ones by hand when you use it.[/quote]
I'm not sure what you mean by creating a button. What section of the help file would this be under?

Watch this tutorial to get up to speed quickly:

[Toolbar Editing (video tutorial))