Thumbnails affected by OneDrive Files On-Demand

For a synchronized OneDrive folder, viewing the file listing in Thumbnails view seems affected by the new Files On-Demand feature introduced with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 16299.15 or later) and OneDrive build 17.3.7064.1005 or later. Can this be fixed please? The feature is turned on automatically in OneDrive, and pictures from a synced directory (e.g. Camera Roll) do not display the Thumbnail automatically unless they have been opened once (double click) or they are marked on the local computer as "Always keep on this device".

Additionally, this is a request to GP Software to provide support in Directory Opus for the file icon status (blue/green check marks, as well as population of the Status attribute column with the applicable icon, see sample picture below) as detailed in this article: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Learn-about-OneDrive-Files-On-Demand-0e6860d3-d9f3-4971-b321-7092438fb38e?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

A response from GP Software is greatly appreciated!

Please try the current beta (12.6.3) and report back :slight_smile:

Most splendid Jon! The beta version seems to include everything required for this feature and more... The automatic description in the Availability column makes it stand out even better than the native Windows Explorer functionality. Congratulations and many thanks for the quick response. I know you're on top of things, just hope you don't mind me keeping an eye on y'all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some help. I have both personal OneDrive and OneDrive for Business. I am not getting the Status and Availability columns for the OneDrive for Business folders. Can this be investigated?

It's coming in the next update.

1 Like

Awesome job...I love that its now in for both!

Oddly enough, I have the same issue and I a m running version 12.7 X64 build 6540. Any solidworks files in my OneDrive Business (ODB) need to be opened one before I get the preview. Seems directly related to this post so I thought I would see if there is a way to make it so the preview shows up without opening them. Any other file type, the preview shows up right away. I do have all of the files on my device in the ODB folder.

OneDrive can do some strange things with previews and thumbnails, as a result of some files being offline and the previews/thumbnails for them being generated by a completely separate system running completely different software which runs in the cloud. (Otherwise, switching to thumbnails mode would either not work for offline files or cause all of the files to be downloaded locally, which is something Microsoft have aimed to avoid with newer OneDrive vesions.)

Some 3rd party components may also treat OneDrive folders differently, e.g. to avoid pulling down all of the offline files if you switch to thumbnails mode.

As you said in your other thread about this, you see the same thing in File Explorer, so this is nothing to do with Directory Opus or the version of Opus in use. The things that the thread above talks about were differences between Opus and Explorer (due to the OneDrive web service apparently being limited to 255x255 thumbnails), which we worked around. If you see the same thing in Opus and Explorer, it's unrelated to this thread.

OneDrive supports thumbnails for offline files only for limited file formats. When a file is offline only it's not on your computer (this is kind of the point), so we ask OneDrive to give us a thumbnail instead of generating it ourselves. If OneDrive doesn't understand a file format it won't be able to give us the thumbnail for the file.

Jon & Leo, thank you for the details. There is no doubt this is a microsoft OneDrive issue. I wonder how DropBox would deal act in this same scenario.

Answer: Dropbox works like a champ. No issues with the thumbs whatsoever. I have a DB Pro subscription so I just tested it.

Dropbox does not have a way to keep files only in the cloud. That's the difference.

Yes they do now. Its a new feature called Smart Sync and is available if your a pro or business subscriber. Link below explains.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/smart-sync

Interesting! I didn't know they'd added that feature. Will have to check it out.

In the next update we'll support Dropbox Smart Sync as well as OneDrive.