Toolbars not staying in the same place

I have a few small problems with DOpus, maybe I'm just doing somehting wrong. Using Vista, 2gb mem etc.

Toolbars just do not want to stay where I put them (I have them as non-floating, non-locked). If I put the toolbar where I want it to be, switch to another window and back to a lister, the toolbar moves to another position (different places in different listers but always the same place within one lister's layout)!

I tried saving the toolbar, saving lister layout, checking other options etc - still the same. I'm using the most basic toolbar (the "Toolbar" toolbar that is there by default without any crazy customization).

And just to confirm - yes, I'm using the latest version and updating everything regualrly (both DOpus and Windows) and I have no problems whatsoever with my other software on this machine (except one program).

Please post a screenshot showing how you're arranging the toolbars and how they then end up.

Also, are you arranging them within Customize mode? Are you dragging them around (in or out of Customize mode), or are you opening them using the Toolbar command?

Do they literally move around the moment you switch windows or does something else trigger it?

First let me describe what's happening a bit better, maybe it's meant to work like that. I'd like to have two listers opened that would look like:
i30.tinypic.com/2a9w568.jpg
i27.tinypic.com/ve55r5.jpg

But if I set the second one like shown, the other lister changes automatically to this:
i25.tinypic.com/1scf2x.jpg (note the toolbar teleports to far right), is it a feature?

I would have said it wasn't so much that it was positioning the other listers toolbar "too the far right" on a random whim. But rather, if it was a 'global' toolbar... the change you're making in the dual-display lister is anchoring the toolbar to the right side of the 'left' file display. The same exact thing is then happening in the single-display lister... as the left display is the one that serves as the 'single' file-display mode.

But I just tried what I thought should have worked:

LMB: Toolbar NAME=Drives TOGGLE LOCAL STATE=center
RMB: Toolbar NAME=Drives TOGGLE LOCAL STATE=tree

...and I'm still seeing the same behaviour. Unless there is something wrong in my usage of 'LOCAL', then I'd say this is maybe a small bugette.

This is a 'feature': Look here [url]Toolbar position]

But when you put the vertical toolbar to the right side of the left Foldertree (and lock the toolbars), it will stay there.
I always use this layout and the vertical toolbar always stays there (also when i use dual display):

Heh, thanks guys, I somehow managed to miss that thread.

What confuses me is that it goes to the far right. I would understand if it stayed glued to one of the folder lists, as leo says in the linked thread:

so f I had the toolbar in the middle and switched to one-folder view the toolbar should appear between the folder tree and folder list (or folder list and preview pane, I don't remember exactly which folder list gets turned off).

I also tried locking it but it can't lock the toolbars in the positions I'd like to have them since as soon as I move one toolbar the one in the other lister teleports - what I would effectively achieve would be to have them locked in "wrong" positions.

In any case, it's nothing really horrible, I don't really use toolbars that much anyway.

[quote="Christiaan"]But when you put the vertical toolbar to the right side of the left Foldertree (and lock the toolbars), it will stay there.
I always use this layout and the vertical toolbar always stays there (also when i use dual display):[/quote]

Is this really the same as what he's talking about though? What I'm talking about is what I think the OP is getting at about having TWO listers open at the same time and wanting the same toolbar in different relative positions per lister. Why would repositioning a LOCAL toolbar in one lister affect that toolbar loaded LOCALLY in yet another lister window... which is what happens when I try? This is the part I "think" is a bug...

What the poster in that OTHER topic was looking for might also serve here if there were a STATE=centerL and centerR set of args or something along those lines that would still 'center' a toolbar between file displays when in dual-display, but otherwise anchor to the Left or Right of the display when only ONE is available; and would presumably map Left to Top and Right to Bottom when in horizontal mode.

I tried the button you posted above: yes, you are right, this is strange...
But I never noticed this, because i never use local toolbars.

Ok, now i think i know what the problem is:

1. Create two buttons (no LMB RMB button):

Toolbar NAME=Drives TOGGLE LOCAL STATE=Left
Toolbar NAME=Drives TOGGLE LOCAL STATE=Right

2. Open just one Lister
3. Click the first button (state=left) -> toolbar opens left
4. Open a second Lister
5. Click the second button (state=right) -> toolbar opens left! And note that the 2 buttons are highlighted.

So, the LOCAL toolbar in one Lister, 'affects' the other LOCAL toolbar in another Lister...? Yes and No: there's nothing wrong with the LOCAL argument.
It's just because the 2 Listers are trying to toggle the same toolbar (same name)

When you save the 'drives' toolbar as 'drives2' and you change the buttoncode of the second button:

Toolbar NAME=Drives2 TOGGLE LOCAL STATE=Right

Everything works fine.

But what the OP would like to do is still not possible, because at least at the moment, (Local) toolbars are not saved as part of Layouts or Styles or anything else.
The only way to open them is via a button or hotkey. So, you could create a button or hotkey which opens a saved Layout and then turns on a local toolbar with a unique name
(for example: Drives_single and Drives_dual):

Go NEW=source LAYOUT=<your Layout> Toolbar NAME=<your unique toolbar name> LOCAL STATE=right TOGGLE

Still, I think the toolbar appearing to the far right (so not glued to the folder list but to the preview pane all of a sudden) is probably a small bug?

Right... though I think you mean the OP from the 'other' topic you referenced; not this topic.

True, but needing to have a 'different' toolbar name seems like BS to me... RayMarble here wants the same toolbar in different spots in different listers. The Local argument doesn't actually SAY that a local toolbar is 'maniuplated' separately per lister, just visible or not. But I think it's reasonable to expect that you can manipulate it in different ways between different listers.

Well, probably NOT... it's probably just DESIGNED in a way that ties the 'position' of the toolbar to the toolbar itself, causing whatever you do to a toolbar in ONE lister to also be applied in the 'other'. It would probably be a feature request to tie a LOCAL toolbars 'position' to the lister it's been opened in...

As i wrote above, I don't need local toolbars, but I found quite a lot of posts about this 'issue'.
So, i'm just curious, would it be difficult to implement (i'm not a programmer):

1. to be able to save (local) toolbars as part of layouts
2. to be able to manipulate the (local) toolbar-position 'per Lister'

[quote="steje"]Well, probably NOT... it's probably just DESIGNED in a way that ties the 'position' of the toolbar to the toolbar itself, causing whatever you do to a toolbar in ONE lister to also be applied in the 'other'. It would probably be a feature request to tie a LOCAL toolbars 'position' to the lister it's been opened in...[/quote]Obviously yes, but following your logic the teleporting of the toolbar to the back of preview pane (not folder lister!) is NOT supposed to happen - in both cases I'm putting the toolbar either between the listers or to the left of one remaining lister, never to the far right.

Since leo claims that "Central toolbars are effectively to the right of the first file display, so if there's only one file display then they'll be on the right of the window." isn't really logical... In this case, "the first file display" is also the ONLY file display so my guess is that the toolbar from the i25.tinypic.com/1scf2x.jpg tries to position itself glued to the folder lister that is turned off.