I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue that's, quite honestly, a pain in the rear end. That said, maybe this "issue" is just the way things are supposed to work, too. I really don't know. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.
As most Dopus users know, you can view a file or folder's total size via the Infotip balloon while hovering your cursor over it. However, in my case, the file or folder size information won't appear in the Infotip until Dopus has completed processing the total size of the current location. What's more, if I open a new folder - and then go back to my original folder - Dopus must re-calculate the total size of that location again! I'm able to see this due to the info I've added to my Status Bar (I can see the current folder size continuously increasing until it's done).
Just to be clear (since I'm not always good at describing these things), here's an example:
- I open Dopus and navigate to the "C:\Windows" directory.
- I hover my cursor over the "System32" folder to view its total size via the Infotip balloon. However, I'm not able to see the folder size since Dopus hasn't yet processed the total size of the "Windows" directory.
- Once Dopus has calculated the size of the "Windows" directory, I'm finally able to see the total size of the "System32" folder via Infotip.
Here's the part that gets on my nerves a bit...
- If I open another folder within the "Windows" directory - such as the "System32" folder I mentioned earlier - and then immediately navigate back to the "Windows" folder, I must wait once again for Dopus to calculate the total size of the "Windows" folder before I can view file or folder sizes via Infotip.
So - with that info in mind:
Why does Dopus have to re-calculate the total folder size every time I navigate back to the same folder? There are times when I have to wait 5 to 10 seconds for Dopus to calculate the total size of the current location (depending on size) just so I can view the Infotip data for other directories.
I don't understand why Dopus can't save some of that data (in a cache or something) to save time when a user navigates back to a previously opened folder. The Infotip data is helpful when I'm doing some cleaning or rearranging stuff from one drive to another. In my case, though, it's not as quick as one would expect since I'm continuously waiting for Dopus to calculate the currently opened folder's size.
Am I misunderstanding something related to how Windows - or the NTFS file system - works with Dopus that could be causing this delay (or recalculation) every time? Admittedly, I know next to nothing about these types of problems.
Have I messed with a Dopus setting that's causing this issue?
Given my system specs, one would think Dopus would fly on my machine - but it doesn't...
Alienware M15x Notebook
- Windows 7 Home Premium x64
- Intel Core i5 Processor
- Samsung 128 GB SSD Drive
- 6GB DDR3 Ram
- Dopus v126.96.36.199.3889 x64
- Etc., etc., etc., blah, blah, blah
Thanks for any advice you can offer and for your help with identifying any settings I may have messed up along the way. I also apologize for the long post.