Transfer Portable Dopus to another USB stick

Hello all,

this is probably straightforward, however simply copying via Windows Explorer doesn't seem to work.

I bought a nano USB stick as it barely peeks out over the side of the laptop.

What is the easiest way to transfer my existing USB installation (keeping all its settings) of Dopus Portable to this stick?

You'd need to re-export Opus to the new stick. To keep the old settings, copy the folder from the old stick to the new one, then tell Opus to export over the top of itself (like you would when updating the version on the USB stick). Opus will ask if you want to export the program and keep the existing settings, or if you want to overwrite the settings as well.

1 Like

Hello,

unfortunately, something went wrong.

I copied the Dopus folder from the old stick to the new stick. Then I initiated the export process and selected the new stick I: as destination:

Then, unfortunately, the old stick H: was auto-selected in the next dialog, for whatever reason:

I didn't pay attention to that, because I assumed that the one-time selection of the new stick in the first step was sufficient.

Then, as mentioned by Leo, came the dialog with the choice "Upgrade" or "Replace". There I selected Upgrade:

Now, when I start Dopus on the target laptop from the old stick (which was upgraded instead of the new stick), Dopus starts with a fresh configuration instead of my previous configuration.

I have already repeated the installation, this time onto the new stick, but this installation also starts fresh and not with my configuration.

How is this possible, and can I still restore my previous configuration?

This shouldn't matter, but as portable path I use I:\Dopus instead of I:\portable.

Which folders would I have to look out for? If I look the folders up that are mentioned here:

...it seems that this simply is the entire portable installation folder. That doesn't seem to be correct?

Thanks!

If the “use as a dongle” option is selected, as in your screenshot, then the files can be exported to any location, and it’ll probably remember the last one you used for convenience.

Just tell it to export to the place you want the files when you get to that stage in the process.

1 Like

Your're so fast Leo, you missed my edits:

Oops, I just realized that I had copied the portable installation folder on the laptop from the stick to the hard drive and started it from there, using the stick only as a dongle.

Now that I have started Dopus from the hard drive again, my configuration is back.

All perfect now, thanks very much.

You should always keep a separate backup of your portable installation, as ext. devices can be lost or broken (esp. USB-sticks)...