uTorrent opening two windows (was: Strange launch of opus)

Yikes, when did uTorrent get involved...? Confused now considering you said an Explorer Window popped up after disabling explorer replacement mode, how does dbl-clicking "uTorrent" open either Explorer "or" Opus. Time for beer I think...

When you double click on an entry of utorrent it opens what ever windows default explorer is to the DIR where that file you are torrenting is located. When i first mentioned the issue i thought utorrent was so far up the chain of events, "how could it be involved?". Apparently in some way it is though... heck it may be the culprit. But why it does it with opus and not windows explorer is beyond me.

I have a work around now but i would love to get tot he bottom of it if i could. I often do things on a PC that require the least amount of typing and clicks in my daily routines.... as a programmer and video gamer my poor writs get plenty of abuse as it is.

If i get some free time I suppose i can write a macro to do everything for me automatically, the only catch is the torrent name varies drastically.

Anyways thanks for everyone's suggestions.

[quote="steje"]Yikes, when did uTorrent get involved...? Confused now considering you said an Explorer Window popped up after disabling explorer replacement mode, how does dbl-clicking "uTorrent" open either Explorer "or" Opus. Time for beer I think...[/quote]Nah Steje...

You've missed the critical step. Go back and read the original post. It's obviously sitting in the recliner that causes it! :smiley:

[quote="bspeight"][quote="steje"]

You've missed the critical step. Go back and read the original post. It's obviously sitting in the recliner that causes it! :smiley:[/quote][/quote]

It sure did seem like it the first few times.... food ready, "The Video Guide To Linux ISOs and Other Perfectly Legal Torrent Downloads" launched and playing, sit down and lean back and ANNNNNNTTTTTTTT What the &%#($ why is OPUS over top the beards! It was always when I sat down and leaned back.

I edited your post slightly. :slight_smile: Please keep to descriptions of things that won't get anyone in trouble.

Are you extracting the video files to a normal directory, then double-clicking there?

Or are you extracting & opening the videos in one operation by double-clicking the videos directly within the download archive?

I double clicked, to open the file directory where utorrent downloaded "The Video Guide To Linux ISOs and Other Perfectly Legal Torrent Downloads" with opus, from inside utorrent.
I then double clicked, to open the rar with winrar, from inside opus.
And finally I double clicked, to play the "The Video Guide To Linux ISOs and Other Perfectly Legal Torrent Downloads" using VLC, from inside of WInRAR.

So yes I double clicked to open and launch OPUS, winrar, and VLC.

I tried different combinations of these apps without using them all together and the issue does not exist. However when i do it just as described it does... bu only when OPUS is the windows explorer replacement.

But you said earlier in this thread that when you disabled explorer replacement mode, that you got an Explorer window that popped up... hence my personal confusion.

I do not see how that is confusing.... when opus is set as replacement it opens, as it should. When replacement option is turned off windows explorer opens as it should. How is that confusing? That is the whole purpose of that option is it not?

The interesting thing is that when replacement is turned off and windows explore pops open in the same sequence of events the issue of a second file explorer opening over VLC does not happen.

My confusion stemmed from this...

Specifically - the "I turned off replacement" and "POOF explore launches" bits. So is the confusion still hard to understand?

@Bernard - :slight_smile:...

[quote="steje"]My confusion stemmed from this...

Specifically - the "I turned off replacement" and "POOF explore launches" bits. So is the confusion still hard to understand?

@Bernard - :slight_smile:...[/quote]

Yes I still do not understand why that is confusing. If you turn off explorer replacement then when the issue happens should it not be the explorer window that pops up instead of opus?

I am not convinced it is Opus fault yet because happens when turn off Opus as the windows replacement. However the only other post i could find on this happened to be an opus user as well.

forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=98844

There's also someone in that thread saying it happens for them with uTorrent and they aren't using Opus.

Yup that is why i am not convinced it is OPUS. Been looking into uTorrent as being the culprit, will post any resolution I find regardless of what app ends up being the cause.

I noticed the other thread you found & replied to:

forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=96042

That one also has someone experiencing the problem who doesn't have Opus installed, and he says:

So it sounds like in one of the uTorrent 2.2 updates they changed how they open folders to a method which doesn't work properly if the default folder handler is changed at all, even if it's still set to use Explorer but in a slightly different way.

Why the uTorrent team can't just look at what changed in that version and work out what's causing it, I don't know. :slight_smile:

FWIW, I still have uTorrent 2.0.2 (the update checker seems to be completely broken :slight_smile:) and that works fine in this regard.

I agree. Is okay I have a workaround that prevents the situation. Thanks for the help, it was kind of a squirly thing to track down.

I am having the same problem. I hope we can a solution soon.

The solution is for uTorrent to fix their bug.

Just a quick update: We've worked out what's going on here, at least if our guess about what changed in uTorrent is correct, and have been testing a change that will get rid of the problem.

The change won't be in 10.0.3.0 (the next stable release) but will be in 10.0.3.1 (the beta release that will come soon after it) sometime in the new year.

That's assuming we don't run into any problems with it, but so far it looks good.

FWIW, the issue is a combination of Windows, Opus and uTorrent all doing things that are mysterious to each other, and differences in how undocumented parts of the Windows API have been interpreted. We've worked out what the other parts are expecting Opus to do here, so everything should be good once the change is released.

(I'm still not sure why uTorrent is launching a second window here, but my guess is it has something to do with making it work under WINE/Linux, where the API in question is not implemented at all and it would need to fallback on an alternative method avoid not opening any window at all. Doesn't really matter why, though, so long as the fix we're testing works.)

Just adding this: Firefox 9.0.1 also makes two Listers open. In FF's downloads window, when I right-click a downloaded file and choose Open Containing Folder, two Listers open, same as they do with utorrent.

And there's no way of tweaking this in Windows 7!

The same change, once released, will fix the issue with FF9 as well.

:smiley: