VS Dark Theme

I think the main issue is the group header text colour "Label Filters", not the label colour, which can be changed using the dropdown on the right hand side. Obviously if you configure a dark label on a dark background, you won't be able to see it.

Thanks!

We use a system ListView control there and unfortunately it doesn't offer a way to change the group header color.

Hi!
Help me please) How to make such a fill?

b51ccb6eddf3c5037cc455fbbd402c0295e213ba

These two options, if you want the graphs and normal columns combined:

There are separate relative size/date columns if you want the graphs to be separate.

Thanks, Leo)

Revisiting this - now that Windows 10 support dark mode, will Exporer-like shell, such as Quick Access able to show Dark mode in Dopus? Currently, I have Win 10 dark mode switched on. In Explorer, the background of Quick Access is black. In Dopus, Quick Access is still showing white unless I use Preferences / Display / Options / Enable background images in virtual folders. This works actually, except some of the fonts cannot be read... unless there are setting to change the fonts in these 'shells'.

As far as we are aware, the Windows shell does not provide any documented way to tell it, when hosted in other applications, to use its dark theme. So nothing has changed there; those folders will still use a dark font color, and using a dark background in them (the only thing we know how to change) will make things hard to read.

The dark theme support throughout Windows is very half-baked, to be honest. There's also still no (documented) way for individual apps to opt into dark titlebars, although you can use a registry setting to make all applications use them.

(We find it ridiculous that Windows has regressed so far from the days when you could choose arbitrary colors for things, and that Microsoft think adding a binary choice between Light and Dark is progress, and that they don't even think to document how to trigger the same for 3rd party apps/developers.)

To reiterate what was in the earlier post, this only affects folders hosted by the Windows shell, like Quick Access and Network. Most folders are handled natively by Opus, and we give you full control over the colors used in those.

3 Likes

[quote="Leo, post:22, topic:24533, full:true"]
If you reset the Preferences pages (which only takes a few seconds), you could then save your own Plain Theme via the Themes dialog for easier reverting of themes in the future. ...it would really just do the same as resetting the four Preferences pages.[/quote]

When I go into the Preferences menu, it's not at all clear what four Preference pages you're referring to. Can someone give me a hint? (Screenshot included in case I'm in the wrong menu.)

It the very least, it would have been nice to include a warning to manually save your default theme before a custom theme is applied for the first time, rather than leaving users to dig through forum comments to discover there's no default theme unless you manually save it yourself.

2 Likes

Yeah, I just found the more detailed explanation posted in plain default theme. Thanks for the quick response though. It didn't occur to me to click on a separate Files menu after navigating to the Preferences menu.

Still, a little tip (perhaps inside the Lister Themes dialog) to save your default theme before trying new themes would be a nice gesture for novice users like me.

1 Like

We're planning an overhaul of the themes system which will include automatic backups of your previous settings. (Probably not in the very near future, as it's behind a lot of other higher priority work, but it's something we've been working on in the background for a while.)

10 Likes

Good to know, thanks.

I really like how the text is so clear with a dark theme. Great stuff.

Can you please make the dropdown (to open a folder, in the left panel) a lighter colour, as its very hard to see the icon.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for this. Not sure how to make those connecting lines between folders work but it looks beautiful. Happy new year, friends!

Cheers

To enable connecting lines in folder tree:

Go to 'Settings > Preferences > Folder Tree > Appearance'. Check 'Highlight path to selected folder' and any sub items as you see fit.

1 Like

You can change the color of the drop down icon with the 'Settings > Prefs > Display > Colors and Fonts > Other Colors' options 'File display border - dest' and 'File display border - source' text colors. However, looks like the default white is actually applied with a mask to the background color, so white is just a lighter variant of the background (so it appears light green/orange). What you can do is change the background color to be something darker to increase the contrast, or make the text color darker (black?) to increase the contrast.

Hi, I love this theme. Is there a way for me to make the very top bar of Directory Opus a lighter shade than white? I understand this may be an OS problem, but I see your screenshot above your titlebar (for the main opus app) is Orange. Mine is white and can't find how to set it. THanks!

That's a Windows setting. For Win10: Settings > Personalization > Colors

In Opus 13, it'll also use the Windows dark titlebar colors (usually black or dark grey for the inactive window) automatically if set to dark mode.