WebP format support

I have directory opus 12.10 installed, when I try to open a webp (which has a video clip embedded) I get a warning it is not a picture. When I try to open a vtx it opens, but the mouse wheel or page-up/page-down does not switch to the next previous in the viewer, as such for thumbnails of movies I'm stuck continuing with jpg files.

You'd normal use WebM for video, not WebP. Are you sure it is a WebP file?

I'm not familiar with VTX files (and there are at least three different file formats using that extension: https://fileinfo.com/extension/vtx ). Could you give more detail there? Is it even opening in the Opus viewer, rather than a third party viewer?

Yes, it is created with Video Tumbnail Maker and it does open successfully using the builtin browser.

http://www.videonizer-soft.com/downloads.html
The current version is 12 (and a trial can be downloaded), if you want to give it a try.

The program supports webm and webp, I tried webm as well, and it is not opened by directory Opus at all, while webp at least is attempted, but fails.

Can you upload a couple of the files (one of each type) that aren't displaying properly? (If you zip them up, the forum should accept them as attachments.)

BTW animated WebP isn't supported (at least currently), but I think we should at least show the first frame if the image is properly formed, although I'm not sure I've tested that as there weren't many animated WebP samples around when that code was added.

Here is the zip file with a jpg, vtx, webp and webm version (webp and webm include a 5 second video clip)

example.zip (10.5 MB)

Thanks!

• The VTX file is byte-for-byte identical to the JPG file. So that's just a program which is using JPG under a different file extension, not a separate format. Opus recognises it as JPG.

I'm able to move to the next/previous image OK when viewing the VTX. Is that working for you with other file types, or not working in general?

• Looks like we don't support animated WebP at all at the moment. Something we might add later.

Thanks for the update.

Thanks a lot for the webp format support. Would it be possible in the future to have additional support for thumbnails of archives, like we have with Jpeg? I have a lot of digital comics in cbz (aka zip) and it would help.

Done for 12.12.2.

1 Like

Wow, that was fast! :wink: Thanks!

I've been looking for how to implement this "preview in DO" after installing Honeyview, but no luck so far.
Honeyview is working fine outside of DO, and appears in my Right Click/Context Menu (in DO as well as windows explorer)
But my .webP files are not previewed properly, just appearing as text/hex in the preview window. Honeyview is not appearing in my configuration page for {ActiveX + Preview + Office + Web Plugin Configuration}. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me to learn how to set this up.

Thanks in advance for any kind help

Are you using Opus 10?

Opus 12 comes with a WebP plugin. You don't need any other software. Opus 10 doesn't have the plugin though.

If you want to use a third parry viewer in the preview pane, it needs to be specially written to allow that. Does that viewer work in File Explorer's viewer pane? If not, it's probably only designed to view images as a standalone program, not to be embedded into other programs' viewer panes.

Thanks Leo. I was intending for my question to attach to Enternal's above comment about having successfully used HoneyView for previewing WebP in DO, and find out how he got that to work.

Yes, I'm using DO 10. Windows file explorer anyway previews WebP natively, so can't tell whether Honeyview is playing a role in this.

With a new Win10 update, Dopus is no longer displaying .webp files. I get a pop-up saying "How do you want to open this file?". How can I restore Dopus' built-in viewer for these files?

• If you want them to open in the Opus viewer, make sure the .webp extension is included in the Images file type group (Settings > File Types).

That should be enough, assuming Preferences - File Operations - Double-click on Files: Use internal picture viewer is turned on.

• If you want them to open in another viewer, right-click one and use the Open With menu to assign a default program.

1 Like

The webp format preview is mostly nice now, except I found DO can't read it's EXIF metadata properly.

We can use Imagemagick to convert a jpg into webp:

magick convert in.jpg out.webp

The EXIF metadata from jpg will also come along to the webp file. Other software like XnView can read the metadata with no problem.

The EXIF metadata often contains the rotation of the image. Because DO can't read the webp EXIF properly, some webp pictures preview don't have the correct direction.

Also got to mention, the preview pane also can't recognize the mp4 video rotate metadata. When a Android phone shot a portray video, it's 1920x1080 with a rotate 90 degree metadata in the mp4. In the display tab, the thumbnail is correctly portray, but the video preview in the preview pane is in landscape.

I'm encountering the same issue with vtx files as mentioned here. When viewing common image formats within a directory, I can navigate between images with either the mouse-wheel or the navigation buttons in the DO image viewer. While the DO image viewer has always opened vtx files just fine, the nav buttons are greyed out and there is no response from the mouse-wheel.

The preference "Double-click on files" is set to "Use internal picture viewer for all recognized picture." I've tried adding .vtx to the 'Image' file group. I've tried changing the "opens with" for vtx to d8viewer. Even when right-clicked, open with, and choosing 'd8viewer' I never have the ability to move between vtx files, forcing me to open and close each one individually.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Do you have VIsio installed? VTX seems to be an extension for Visio documents, which may be confusing things.

Do the same files work if you rename them .jpg? And does the Description column in Opus indicate that they're really JPG files?

If I rename some JPG files to .vtx as shown below, next/prev works in the viewer, and Description shows they're really JPG files, but I also don't have Visio installed (despite having a file type for it on my machine, for some reason).

Since .vtx is an extension used by more than one file type, you may be dealing with a different file format to the one discussed earlier in the thread.

No Visio. Description Type column reads "Video Thumbnail File" which technically is correct for my situation. Description has vtx as (dimensions) JPEG Image.

Here's something interesting though. I rename a directory of vtx files to jpg and I can navigate around as expected/desired. I rename a directory of jpg to vtx, and I have my current problem of no previous/next navigation.

Perhaps it has something to do with how that extension is registered? You have Visio and don't have the problem I do. Maybe Video Thumbnail Maker introduces/registers or changes the vtx file type in such a manner that makes things wonky for me.

Via DO File type, vtx MIME type reads 'application/myprogram' which I'm fairly certain is not a standard. I tried changing it to 'image/jpeg' but that didn't affect my problem. What is your MIME type for vtx? I can always install Visio, or definitely do a batch rename of vtx to jpg, but that's less than ideal.

If you open one of the VTX in the lister preview pane, what does it say in brackets next to the filename? (Make sure it's wide enough to see what's after the name.)

Here's what's in my registry:

vtx.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.vtx]
@="VisioViewer.Viewer"
"Content Type"="application/vnd.ms-visio.viewer"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.vtx\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.vtx\shellex\{00021500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@="{D66DC78C-4F61-447F-942B-3FB6980118CF}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.vtx\shellex\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}]
@="{21E17C2F-AD3A-4b89-841F-09CFE02D16B7}"

VisioViewer.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisioViewer.Viewer]
@="Microsoft Visio Document"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisioViewer.Viewer\CLSID]
@="{F8CF7A98-2C45-4c8d-9151-2D716989DDAB}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisioViewer.Viewer\CurVer]
@="VisioViewer.Viewer.1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisioViewer.Viewer\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\root\\Office16\\VVIEWER.DLL,-2"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisioViewer.Viewer\shell]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisioViewer.Viewer\shell\open]
@="Open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisioViewer.Viewer\shell\open\command]
@=hex(2):22,00,25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,\
  00,65,00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,49,00,6e,00,74,00,65,00,72,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,\
  20,00,45,00,78,00,70,00,6c,00,6f,00,72,00,65,00,72,00,5c,00,69,00,65,00,78,\
  00,70,00,6c,00,6f,00,72,00,65,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,22,00,20,00,2d,00,\
  6e,00,6f,00,68,00,6f,00,6d,00,65,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisioViewer.Viewer\shell\open\ddeexec]
@="\"file:%1\",,-1,,,,,"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisioViewer.Viewer\shell\open\ddeexec\Application]
@="IExplore"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisioViewer.Viewer\shell\open\ddeexec\Topic]
@="WWW_OpenURL"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisioViewer.Viewer\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisioViewer.Viewer\shellex\{BB2E617C-0920-11D1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{506F4668-F13E-4AA1-BB04-B43203AB3CC0}"

Reg files in case they're of use:

vtx.zip (1.2 KB)